Subject: streamlined combat variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
i'm pretty new to this game but just going over the rules, i can already tell that my group won't respond well to combat as it's presented in the rulebook. are there any variants that simplify/streamline combat? my main gripe is that it is basically a (mediocre) mini card game bolted onto a game that already has enough stuff going on. i would settle for some (balanced) version of 'bigger army conquers smaller army'.

the last fantasy flight game i bought (dungeonquest) had a stupid card game bolted on to it for combat and it completely fell flat and felt super unnecessary (though to be fair that game had a ton of other problems beyond the combat minigame that kept it from greatness). really trying to avoid a repeat with civ. thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wisdom and Warfare expansion fixed combat (at least for my group). It still works the same, the expansion just changed the card values to make it more balanced.

My suggestion would be to play the game as is before rushing to make a change or buying an expansion. Its a good game out of the box.

- John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always use a Risk type variant.

The power on each card is the number of dice rolled.
Roll Dice, match them up highest to lowest.
Defender wins ties.
Use wound tokens as normal.
Each Wound token means 1 less dice for that unit.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.