Subject: Advance Active Mystery - Epic Monster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have managed to advance the active mystery 3 times (place 2 health markers on the card)... which would eliminate the epic monster that IS the active mystery, or MAYBE it would bring it to 0 health.

1) Is the active mystery solved at this point? Without needing to engage in battle.

2) What if an artifact was needed to damage the epic monster, and this artifact isn't yet in the party's possession?

3) What if it was?

4) What if it was and the holding investigator just died?

Thanks.

The actual situation is that I have the required artifact, but am no where near the targets location, and the holding investigator just went insane... how fun is this?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Effects which advance the active mystery do not deal damage to the Epic Monster - they reduce its toughness. This distinction is important. Since you aren't dealing damage, whether or not you have the artifact is irrelevant.

A monster is defeated instantly if the damage in the monster is equal to or greater than the monster's toughness. You CAN defeat a monster by reducing toughness to zero even if it has no damage on it.

Note that epic monsters cannot be defeated or discarded except by dealing damage equal to their toughness. There is no rule that says that the damage has to be dealt in combat, and in fact they can be defeated without taking damage at all if their toughness is reduced to zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So unfortunately I'm still confused.... to me it sounds like (according to you) have successfully defeated this monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
You're good. Toughness-reducing effects bypass Epic Monsters' artifact-related invulnerability. A monster reduced to zero toughness is automatically killed, even if it's Epic. You only need the artifact to damage the Epic Monster (whether by combat, component actions, or encounters); as soon as damage equals or exceeds toughness, it dies regardless of how you got it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also confused and got an official answer covering this case some time ago.

Summarizing:
The reference guide says "When a Monster has lost Health equal to or greater than its toughness, it is defeated."
So when the monster has 0 toughness (thanks to advancing the mystery) then even if it had lost as much as 0 health, it is enough to defeat it.
And you don't need an Artifact for that - the Monster enters play with 0 health already lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to read this confirming the situation.
This happened in one of my games this past weekend battling against the Haunter of the Dark epic monster.
Thanks for the thread.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.