Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
out there for a 2-year old?? A friend from abroad is looking for a gift for his daughter and of course i instantly thought - boardgames! But with her being only 2 - i'm guessing that's too young for boardgames???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Candyland!

Howabout Kids of Catan, or Gulo Gulo (depending on her dexterity). Does Memory count as a board game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: This may sound like a silly question but are there any g
I highly recommend checking out the following website, which has suggestions for 2-3 year olds that you should check out

http://www.kidgameratings.com/

It lists the following games, among others:
Go Away Monster!
Orchard
Cranium Cariboo
Monkey Madness
My First UNO
Aargh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Go Away Monster!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Orchard.

(The Orchard)

There are a few other HABA games that will do the trick, but this is by far the best for that age.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loopin Louie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whalley
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I bought Goodnight Moon for my 2yr old.
It happens to be her favorite nite-time book. She calls it "night-night moon".
It's actually a lot more well thought out than I would've guessed before I got it. It has the same quality and design fundamentals of boardgames that daddy and mommy are used to playing, but kid-sized, and definitely age-appropriate rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the Goodnight Moon game for my 2 year old son for Christmas. He also loves that book, which is why we got the game. We've had fun with it. Not a bad "Gateway Game" for young children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Gulo Gulo (depending on her dexterity).

The only problem with Gulo Gulo is the game is a choking hazard for kids that age--those eggs are about the perfect size and look good to eat.

Even soemthing like Candy Land or Kids of Catan or Memory is fine. Even if they can't handle it today, it won't too long before they will. Kind of like buying clothes a size too big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
My two year old twin girls like Hey! That's my fish. And it is not too bad for an adult either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
those eggs are about the perfect size and look good to eat.

In fact, the smallest ones look just like Kalamata olives.

Go Fish and Lotto games work for some older twos. I was playing with an almost-3 year old the other day and Gulo Gulo was way beyond him. What he *was* very eager to do was to put the colored eggs on top of the same-colored tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Cariboo. Both of my children that are at least two years old loved it at that age... so did my dogs when the kid's threw the bouncy balls all over the house.

Gulo Gulo is the only thing my (just turned) three year old wants to play when asked to pick a game. I'm not sure a two-year old would be able to handle Gulo Gulo, but that is only based on two of their cousins. They both seemed more interested in rolling or flicking the eggs off the table rather than picking them out of the cup.

(Side comment: The look on my three year old son's face when my five year old daughter picks Bazaar to be the family game for the evening is priceless. It similar to... the rest of us watching Cars while he is forced to stay in his room. But then again, he acts that way with every game she chooses that isn't Gulo Gulo or Blink. I hope they grow up soon!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Harmon
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our 2 yr old daughter (she will be 3 at the end of May) really likes "My First Matching Game" from Ravensburger. It features "cards" with farm "animals" as the pictures to match. The cards are really cloth tiles, rather like small square bean bags without the beans inside, which makes them very durable -- even our 1 yr old likes to play with them (and, of course, chew on them). I like them because you can gauge the gameplay for the child's skill or interest level:

- Pick a couple of pairs and put them face up. Have your child find matches or find the tiles you specifically ask for.
- Increase the number of face up pairs.
- Pick a couple of pairs and put them face down. Find matches or the tiles you ask for.
- Increase the number of face down pairs.
- Play classic concentration with alternating turns for any of these variants.

I'll have to check out some of the other games mentioned here as she is very interested in playing games, especially when we have Game Nights. She asks to play Candyland most nights before bed, but she hasn't quite grasped the "move along the track" concept yet -- she likes to just find any instance of the color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 year old has enjoyed both Go Away Monster! and Monkey Madness. She also likes Cranium Cariboo, but we don't play by the rules at this time, we just take turns opening doors with the key and dropping balls into the chute. My older daughter got Cariboo for her 3rd birthday and loved it, so that's probably a better age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisgmay wrote:
My two year old twin girls like Hey! That's my fish. And it is not too bad for an adult either.

ditto - my 2 year old son loves to play with the penguins. He learns his colors and counts them out in a line. Sure, he will point out the fish, but mainly it's all about stacking the penguins..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Away Monster was great for that age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Two is quite young for game rules, but we've had fun activities with titles the kids have grown into. Animal Upon Animal and Chicken Cha Cha Cha started as identification, matching, counting, and stacking activities, but nothing too close to the published rules. ("What color is the monkey?" "Find two baby chickens." "Wait, please, it's your sister's turn.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin h.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My 2-yo likes Monkey Madness.
It's way overpriced for what you get, and extremely boring for adults. Luckily, I only paid 50 cents at a yard sale.

When they are almost 3, you can consider Snails Pace. It's good because no-
one loses.

Memory games are great as you approach 3+. Chicken Cha Cha Cha is the best, the tension is there until the end because the number of potential matches is the same throughout the game, and anyone can win up to the last turn.

Gulo Gulo - I think for advanced 3's or 4yo who are no longer mouthing things and have good dexterity.

My "best game" for 2 yo's in a game playing household is a box of random game accessories - sets of pawns, extra decks of cards, dice, a board from Sorry or Candyland or Parcheesi. Just let them have it. Mine "plays game", noone has to play with her, and she is just happy to playact "your turn", "I score now", "I winning".
May I recommend a set of better-toy-quality dominoes - for now they just stack them, then they can progress to matching. My daughter also likes to stack dice. she matches the # of spots, and turns them so the same face is up, then stacks them. Buy larger ones at the dollar store for this.

HTH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
wow thanks to everyone for the great suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Go Away Monster was great for that age.
Yep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My younger son played and enjoyed Go Away Monster! at two and my daughter loved and was pretty good at Hisss at the same age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.