Eclipse: Shadow of the Rift» Forums » General

Subject: Rift Turret and Soliton Turrent (discoveries) overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joonas
Finland
flag msg tools
The new expansions introduces 3 new powerful ancient weapon ship parts:
Plasma turret (2x plasma cannon, -3 energy)
Rift turret (2x rift cannon, -1 energy*)
Soliton turret (2x soliton cannon, -2 energy, -2 initiative)

The Rift Turret has come up twice in our games. Both times it has been put in the Interceptor blueprint and both times that player hasn't really needed any other ships during the game. Also, both times that player has won the game by military supremacy.

Double rift cannon (i.e. no need for computers) + improved hull + possibly improved drive to boost initiative. Then just build interceptors. The ship part just seems out of balance, especially when placed in the Interceptor.

The Soliton Turret is very powerful too. Losing 2 initiative isn't that bad when you get a double Soliton cannon that eats less power than a standard single Soliton cannon. We've seen this in action once and it felt very good (compared to any other ancient ship part).

* The tile says 0 energy consumption, but the rule book says -1, so I'd go with the latter (makes more sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radoslaw Polanski
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am keen on saying that plasma is fine, it is better than standard part, but surely it should be like that. In fact it saves you one ship slot in the end of the game.

Rift Turrent planted on Interceptor looks scary but only if this interceptor will have both initiative and hulls. therefore - best option will be to have conifold field, best engines.
That will give you 5 initiative with 4 hulls and 2 rift cannons, plus mobility. Scary true, but still 5 initiative can be beaten - either by a medium or large ship will good setup, or by proper star base or by rockets. Plus it is unlikely to happen that you will have both rift turret and conifold.

Soliton Turret is more scary from my perspective, as this can be easily put on the tanky ship, so we will change the approach from having good initiative to very powerfull vessel that will shopt big cannons and will have tons of hulls. Certainly something more interesting from my side than rift cannon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
No way those are overpowered. But there is one tech that we have banned and that is metasynthesis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joonas
Finland
flag msg tools
Hmm, okay. In our two Rift Turret games first I had Octantis (the evolution species) and found Rift Turret on round one. Then I soon evolved having -1 cost for Interceptors, +1 Move and +1 Build. In our second game Rho Indi found the Turret early and with their natural >>> initiative and -1 shields in Interceptors, and 4 Move... Even with just a Fusion drive they had 5 initiative which was tough to beat in early game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radoslaw Polanski
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - why? I am still going to find out this perhaps but this is my curiousity. The cost of this seems fair, 17/11, one of the most expensive in the game and certainly not something you will be able to buy in round 1 or 2 or 3 or even 4. And in the round 5 you already make a choice what tech you need the most (as usually you dont have vast amount of advanced planed, all of their types anyway). I personally decide to go for adv planet tech only if I have at least 2 of those planets, or even 3. Economy treated with priority then depending on the situation res or prod, but research is more universal resource usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zune wrote:
* The tile says 0 energy consumption, but the rule book says -1, so I'd go with the latter (makes more sense).

I'd be interested in hearing what the "official" error is here,is the rule book or the tile correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoName NoLastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zune wrote:
Double rift cannon (i.e. no need for computers)

Statistically, rift does 1 damage per die ( (1+2+3)/6 ), similar to plasma with + 2 that ignores shields. The drawback on top of that is 1/3 damage to self.

The thing about the drawback, though, is that it's the -defender- who allocates it, which is pretty huge.

Also, the more rift dice you roll, the better you'll be able to match damage allocation with opponents hulls, so placing them on the Interceptor with Improved hull (Conifold Field, or what's-that-Discovery-again?) and releasing them in swarms would be forceful indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joonas
Finland
flag msg tools
Feilin wrote:

The thing about the drawback, though, is that it's the -defender- who allocates it, which is pretty huge.

Yes, this helps enormously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zune wrote:
Feilin wrote:

Yes, this helps enormously.

Can one of you or someone expound on this? I can't seem to find anything about alternate damage allocation in the rules for Rift weapons. I'm still somewhat of an Eclipse noob so pardon my ignorance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Entre
msg tools
Couch wrote:
Feilin wrote:

Can one of you or someone expound on this? I can't seem to find anything about alternate damage allocation in the rules for Rift weapons. I'm still somewhat of an Eclipse noob so pardon my ignorance!

I think it was worded strangely in that quote (using the word "defender"). What it should be referring to is the fact that the person who rolled the rift die (has the ship that is firing them) gets to assign the self-damage to their ships.

That means you can assign the self-damage intelligently to minimize the chance of your ships getting destroyed (therefore self-damage is not as big of a drawback). You can even assign the rift cannon self-damage to different ships of yours in the hex that don't have rift cannons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok, thank you. It seems like it would be slightly more balanced if each ship had to take the hits from its own cannons self damage. Though that would mean you would want to roll Rift die for each ship individually.

With the written rules the drawback seems very minimal compared with the huge benefit of ignoring all enemy ship shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.