Popular Tags: [View All]
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
First, a disclaimer. I love everything about this game. I love the rules, and the gameplay, and the theme, and the artwork. Ok?
I'm just a crazy curious hep cat with a question...

The original game intro description:

"You and your fellow voodoo spirits have traveled back in time to poke a little fun at the hepcats of the 1950s cocktail culture. Your mystical influences will link these lounge-goers into social cliques that give you access to the coolest party-people that all the hipsters want to be near. Mix a few drinks, rack up the magical monkey points, and crown yourself king of the Swinging Jivecat Voodoo Lounge."

In the published version, we are no longer voodoo spirits, but are now jet setting lounge people ourselves, wondering:

"How are you going to get in with the in crowd?"

It doesn't matter one iota as far as game play, but I'm curious as to why the change was made.

Does anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
First, a disclaimer. I love everything about this game. I love the rules, and the gameplay, and the theme, and the artwork. Ok?
I'm just a crazy curious hep cat with a question...

The original game intro description:

"You and your fellow voodoo spirits have traveled back in time to poke a little fun at the hepcats of the 1950s cocktail culture. Your mystical influences will link these lounge-goers into social cliques that give you access to the coolest party-people that all the hipsters want to be near. Mix a few drinks, rack up the magical monkey points, and crown yourself king of the Swinging Jivecat Voodoo Lounge."

In the published version, we are no longer voodoo spirits, but are now jet setting lounge people ourselves, wondering:

"How are you going to get in with the in crowd?"

It doesn't matter one iota as far as game play, but I'm curious as to why the change was made.

Does anyone know?

Yeah I was confused, too. What's the real premise, now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:

The premise now:

"It's 1962. JFK's New Frontier is on the horizon and you're living La Dolce Vita. You've partied with the Bunnies at Hef's mansion in Chicago. you've heard Brubeck play the Black Hawk in Frisco. And you've had drinks after hours with Frank, Dean, and Sammy in Vegas.

But your jet-setting ways won't keep you in one place very long. Tonight, it's a new town and it's time to make a scene with some new friends. But, man, you've never been to a town like this. And you haven't met cats this crazy this side of the Twilight Zone. How are you going to get in with the In-Crowd?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
ayejae wrote:

The premise now:

"It's 1962. JFK's New Frontier is on the horizon and you're living La Dolce Vita. You've partied with the Bunnies at Hef's mansion in Chicago. you've heard Brubeck play the Black Hawk in Frisco. And you've had drinks after hours with Frank, Dean, and Sammy in Vegas.

But your jet-setting ways won't keep you in one place very long. Tonight, it's a new town and it's time to make a scene with some new friends. But, man, you've never been to a town like this. And you haven't met cats this crazy this side of the Twilight Zone. How are you going to get in with the In-Crowd?"

Yeah, that's what it says on the manual. But does that mean now "you" are a living, corporeal being?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Which is quite a change. I just wondered why they didn't keep the original. Were they being PC, since some might object to playing as a Tiki god battling for souls, or was it some other reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Breen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ryuu wrote:
Yup. Which is quite a change. I just wondered why they didn't keep the original. Were they being PC, since some might object to playing as a Tiki god battling for souls, or was it some other reason?

Anyone objecting to being an incarnate Tiki god battling for souls needs another cocktail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrArcanum wrote:
Ryuu wrote:

Anyone objecting to being an incarnate Tiki god battling for souls needs another cocktail.

I really liked that theme, too. Was super unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David @DailyMagicGames
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi There...

Well, truth be told, when we hired a retro consultant (we paid him in skulls, BTW) he realigned our perception of the game. Instead of BEING voodoo spirits, we were actual persons USING voodoo spirits to win friends and influence people. He made us see (and I don;t know why we never saw it ourselves) that playing the cards to make the numbers to put out chips was actually us BUYING DRINKS for the characters at those numbers so they'd join our clique.

Really, I feel personally DIM for not seeing it that way before.

Thanks Roman, you made it all fall into place for me.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Frisco

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Roback
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We switched themes by request of Roman Baron Von Swankenstein a regular contributor to Ultraswank.com. Actually I pushed for it as well. The original theme was more obtuse. Roman knows how to write in the style of hipsters in the day. He is brilliant - everyone should read his blog. I am a wannabe compared to him. We used his consultation with theme throughout the rules. I forgot if he wrote the intro or edited it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Roback
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Here is an article of Roman reviewing our prototype - http://www.ultraswank.net/interview/swinging-jivecat-voodoo-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you David and Seth for answering! Mystery solved!
Using the number to buy drinks in a tiki lounge makes PERFECT SENSE, but I didn't realize it was related to the change in backstory
Plus, the insight into the layered development of a game was really interesting.

Thank you both for the years of work it took to get Swinging Jivecat Voodo Lounge into our hands. It's Magnifi-cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.