• [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah! Just picked this up last week from CSI.

However, I don't feel cheated. This is a great game. Easy to teach, fun stratagies, instant win condition, lots of fun bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sautman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best area control games out there in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
N Jones wrote:

However, I don't feel cheated. This is a great game. Easy to teach, fun stratagies, instant win condition, lots of fun bits.

If you email them and ask nicely, they may give you a gift certificate for the difference. Doesn't hurt to ask, you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Deutschlander
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is this the new Deluxe Kickstarter edition with the larger pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinizar wrote:
Is this the new Deluxe Kickstarter edition with the larger pieces?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Deutschlander
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay thank you! I will wait to buy until I can find the Kickstarter edition with the larger pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinizar wrote:
Okay thank you! I will wait to buy until I can find the Kickstarter edition with the larger pieces.

Good luck with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanruhe wrote:
noforananswer wrote:

Nice to see this back in print.

Nice to see Funagain give up its sole rights to the game in North America. This is the gateway tile placement game people think Carcassonne is. Partly makes me want to grab an extra copy so I can do double Taluva.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Sinizar wrote:

Good luck with that

I'm sure we'll have no problem finding some for sale. On eBay. For exorbitant prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
For exorbitant prices.

That's what the KS price was. I don't even want to know what people will talk themselves into now that the open market sets the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
N Jones wrote:

If you email them and ask nicely, they may give you a gift certificate for the difference. Doesn't hurt to ask, you know?

I paid a fair price and received my game already. If it was still in transit or had not shipped yet that would be an option. Thanks for the suggestion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Sinizar wrote:

Good luck with that

I'm sure we'll have no problem finding some for sale. On eBay. For exorbitant prices.

Well, I hope that works for you.
I will tell you from my point of view, after seeing the kickstart price, it was a bucket full of NOPE for me. I imagine the only people who kickstarted it were people that really love the game and wanted copies for themselves. I sincerely doubt people bought copies for speculation. But who knows, you might get lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Bagherra wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Sinizar wrote:

Good luck with that

I will tell you from my point of view, after seeing the kickstart price, it was a bucket full of NOPE for me. I imagine the only people who kickstarted it were people that really love the game and wanted copies for themselves. I sincerely doubt people bought copies for speculation. But who knows, you might get lucky.

The naivety in this post is delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Sinizar wrote:

Good luck with that

The naivety in this post is delicious.

I have been buying and selling board games since 1994.
You think your one year stint on bgg makes you more qualifed to understand speculative boardgame markets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
During my one year stint, I've acquired every game in my collection and spent far more time examining the market for deals and sales (while noticing trends) than I'd care to admit.

I've seen truckloads of Kickstarter games go up for sale within that time both here and elsewhere and they are almost always done so with a healthy profit margin attached for the seller.

Perhaps you haven't been watching the market as closely as of late, but with more and more games being produced on Kickstarter and more and more of them immediately going up for resale, to state that you sincerely doubt individuals bought copies only for their love of the game and not to cash in on its rarity is naive, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluva is a great game deluxe or not. After everyone has finished measuring their collections consider picking it up at this good price. Right now amazon is selling it for $59.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
N Jones wrote:
Taluva is a great game deluxe or not. After everyone has finished measuring their collections consider picking it up at this good price. Right now amazon is selling it for $59.99.

No, Coolstuffinc is selling it on Amazon for $59.99 + $3.99 shipping ... the same Coolstuffinc from the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:
During my one year stint, I've acquired every game in my collection all 163 of them and spent far more time examining the market for deals and sales (while noticing trends) than I'd care to admit.

I've seen truckloads of Kickstarter games go up for sale within that time both here and elsewhere and they are almost always done so with a healthy profit margin attached for the seller.

Perhaps you haven't been watching the market as closely as of late, but with more and more games being produced on Kickstarter and more and more of them immediately going up for resale, to state that you sincerely doubt individuals bought copies only for their love of the game and not to cash in on its rarity is naive, yes.

So, a person would speculate on a full margin deluxe copy of Taluva for $100 hoping to turn a profit when they could purchase a hard-to-get retail copy for $40-60 and flip it immediately for a quick profit. Yeah, that makes total sense. Kind of like the Deluxe edition of Takenoko which is languishing in speculator's basements. Sure some deluxe editions will do very well because they actually offer substantial value over the base edition. For example a deluxe version of Eduphoria came with hefty bits, more art, a double sided board and tons of extras. Sure it's going to command double the price. But with Taluva, all you got was the same game...bigger. Unless you are looking at the super special edition with the fancy wood boxes that cost three times what they were worth.

I think you are seeing a flash in the pan for a major revolution. Sure kickstarter has produced some amazing things. But I would offer that only about 5% of the boardgames published through kickstarter are of speculative value.

Kickstarter created a new dynamic in boardgame speculation. In short, it provides an opportunity for people to get in on a game at its creation and give a quantifiable level of demand for the product, and in some instances allows the funders to drive the direction of content in the game. Unfortunately, the side effect of this is that the market becomes saturated at launch. Typically, the only people that don't buy in a kickstarter for a game they are truly interested in come in three categories: 1) weren't aware of the kickstarter (these are the rubes who will buy scalped copies of games) 2) were aware of the kickstarter but are waiting for discounted prices on the game through retail outlets (very unlikely to buy scalped copies) 3) were aware of the kickstarter but are of the try before you buy mindset (they are on the fence about buying scalped copies, but would prefer to buy at discount).

So, with only 1/3 of the people not invested in the product willing to buy at scalped prices, what congruence needs to happen for this to work?
Well, first, the game has to be really good. Taluva is tried and tested and is really good. Second, the game needs to be scarce. Given shipping costs from Europe, Taluva is essentially scarce. And finally (well maybe not finally perhaps there are other factors, but it is unlikely), the available copies have to be at a value to facilitate restricted pricing. Taluva can be purchased for $60 in the US (including import costs). This makes the $100 (at a loss) copy of Taluva difficult to sell. I imagine most people looking for a deluxe copy of Taluva are hoping to find a copy for less than $100, which is why it may be a fool's errand. Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Bagherra wrote:
Kusanagi888 wrote:
During my one year stint, I've acquired every game in my collection all 163 of them and spent far more time examining the market for deals and sales (while noticing trends) than I'd care to admit.

So, a person would speculate on a full margin deluxe copy of Taluva for $100 hoping to turn a profit when they could purchase a hard-to-get retail copy for $40-60 and flip it immediately for a quick profit. Yeah, that makes total sense. Kind of like the Deluxe edition of Takenoko which is languishing in speculator's basements. Sure some deluxe editions will do very well because they actually offer substantial value over the base edition. For example a deluxe version of Eduphoria came with hefty bits, more art, a double sided board and tons of extras. Sure it's going to command double the price. But with Taluva, all you got was the same game...bigger. Unless you are looking at the super special edition with the fancy wood boxes that cost three times what they were worth.

I think you are seeing a flash in the pan for a major revolution. Sure kickstarter has produced some amazing things. But I would offer that only about 5% of the boardgames published through kickstarter are of speculative value.

Kickstarter created a new dynamic in boardgame speculation. In short, it provides an opportunity for people to get in on a game at its creation and give a quantifiable level of demand for the product, and in some instances allows the funders to drive the direction of content in the game. Unfortunately, the side effect of this is that the market becomes saturated at launch. Typically, the only people that don't buy in a kickstarter for a game they are truly interested in come in three categories: 1) weren't aware of the kickstarter (these are the rubes who will buy scalped copies of games) 2) were aware of the kickstarter but are waiting for discounted prices on the game through retail outlets (very unlikely to buy scalped copies) 3) were aware of the kickstarter but are of the try before you buy mindset (they are on the fence about buying scalped copies, but would prefer to buy at discount).

So, with only 1/3 of the people not invested in the product willing to buy at scalped prices, what congruence needs to happen for this to work?
Well, first, the game has to be really good. Taluva is tried and tested and is really good. Second, the game needs to be scarce. Given shipping costs from Europe, Taluva is essentially scarce. And finally (well maybe not finally perhaps there are other factors, but it is unlikely), the available copies have to be at a value to facilitate restricted pricing. Taluva can be purchased for $60 in the US (including import costs). This makes the $100 (at a loss) copy of Taluva difficult to sell. I imagine most people looking for a deluxe copy of Taluva are hoping to find a copy for less than $100, which is why it may be a fool's errand. Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely? No.

I agree 100% with everything you said. But we were discussing the matter that according to you, no one would be selling or attempting to sell their Kickstarter copies for a profit, which is quite honestly not going to not happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:

I agree 100% with everything you said. But we were discussing the matter that according to you, no one would be selling or attempting to sell their Kickstarter copies for a profit, which is quite honestly not going to not happen.

Yes, it is possible people will try to profit off their kickstart copies of Taluva, but I find it unlikely or at least rare especially since you aren't seeing them on eBay or BGG listings yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Kusanagi888 wrote:

Yes, it is possible people will try to profit off their kickstart copies of Taluva, but I find it unlikely or at least rare especially since you aren't seeing them on eBay or BGG listings yet.

The deluxe versions haven't arrived yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Kusanagi888 wrote:

That has never stopped a speculator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Kusanagi888 wrote:

That has never stopped a speculator.

But it does explain why there aren't any listed for sale yet. VERY few individuals will post merchandise they don't have on hand and don't have a very firm date on receiving.

You'll see your "unlikely or at least rare" listings once the game starts arriving.

That is to say, I think just about everything you've said in this thread is silly and your attempts at backtracking aren't working. But then, I don't really care either. I was just pointing out a fact. Carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.