Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Wombat Rescue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarification - special actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
msg tools
Played today and had a lot of fun. I do have some questions.

High fiber diet - does this cause you to poop immediately (during your turn ) or at the end of your turn?

Hold it in - what happens if there is food in the middle section? Can it still move into the rightmost section, or does it have to stop?

Dingo protection - this only prevents you from being counted as the nearest wombat? And does not make you immune to the dingo if someone pushes you into the dingo, or if the dingo walks through you while on the way to somebody else?

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jemwong wrote:
High fiber diet - does this cause you to poop immediately (during your turn ) or at the end of your turn?


Immediately. Use the tile, drop a cube, put the food disks back in the bag, then continue your turn.

Quote:
Hold it in - what happens if there is food in the middle section? Can it still move into the rightmost section, or does it have to stop?


Any food that can move forward in the digestive tract will. This tile only prevents food disks that are about to leave your digestive tract from doing so. It only makes sense to play this tile when you have food disks in the rightmost space and are about to produce a poop cube. If that's is the case, any food disks on the middle space could not move forward since groups of food disks never combine in the digestive tract.

Quote:
Dingo protection - this only prevents you from being counted as the nearest wombat? And does not make you immune to the dingo if someone pushes you into the dingo, or if the dingo walks through you while on the way to somebody else?


You are correct that someone can still push you into the dingo, even if you use the tile. I actually hadn't thought of the last condition, but as the intent of the tile is to provide protection from a wandering dingo, I'm going to say the player controlling the dingo cannot move him into a space with a protected mama wombat unless there is no other way to move the dingo such that the dingo will keep moving towards the nearest unprotected mama wombat. For example, if a protected mama wombat and an unprotected mama wombat are both in a baby wombat space, then the dingo will move into that space and chase both home. Another example would be if you're playing with boulders and the only way for the dingo to move towards an unprotected mama wombat would be through a protected mama wombat due to boulders providing barriers for movement in other directions. Hopefully that's clear.

Glad you enjoyed playing!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jeremy and Matt, for excellent questions and answers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gray
msg tools
mattwolfe wrote:
[q="jemwong"]

Quote:
Dingo protection - this only prevents you from being counted as the nearest wombat? And does not make you immune to the dingo if someone pushes you into the dingo, or if the dingo walks through you while on the way to somebody else?


You are correct that someone can still push you into the dingo, even if you use the tile. I actually hadn't thought of the last condition, but as the intent of the tile is to provide protection from a wandering dingo, I'm going to say the player controlling the dingo cannot move him into a space with a protected mama wombat unless there is no other way to move the dingo such that the dingo will keep moving towards the nearest unprotected mama wombat. For example, if a protected mama wombat and an unprotected mama wombat are both in a baby wombat space, then the dingo will move into that space and chase both home. Another example would be if you're playing with boulders and the only way for the dingo to move towards an unprotected mama wombat would be through a protected mama wombat due to boulders providing barriers for movement in other directions. Hopefully that's clear.


Hmm. Not sure that's clear OR consistent.

The rulebook says that if you are protected, "the dingo will completely ignore you" for that turn.

If the intent of the tile is to protect the mama from the wandering dingo, then in the case of a dingo going into a baby space with one mama protected and one not, the protected one will be ignored and only the unprotected one will be chased home; else, what's the point to the protection tile? In the second example, the same reasoning applies, and the dingo should simply pass over (ignore) the protected mama.

A protected wombat should be protected, dang it! Otherwise, why even include the tile in the game?

"This tile will not protect you if you choose to move into [the] space the dingo [occupies] [or if you are bumped into the dingo space]." This makes sense: even magical protection cannot insulate a wombat against the stupidity or misfortune of annoying a wild dog.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Graybeard2ca wrote:
If the intent of the tile is to protect the mama from the wandering dingo, then in the case of a dingo going into a baby space with one mama protected and one not, the protected one will be ignored and only the unprotected one will be chased home; else, what's the point to the protection tile? In the second example, the same reasoning applies, and the dingo should simply pass over (ignore) the protected mama.


Not removing the protected mama wombat opens up another potential corner case where the dingo moved toward an unprotected mama wombat but ended movement in a space with a protected mama wombat. If that mama wombat isn't caught immediately, at the start of that player's turn (when the protection ends) that player would immediately be caught by the dingo and, effectively, not have a turn. That's not very fun. So in an effort to avoid that situation, that's why the dingo could only move into a space with a protected mama wombat if there is no other choice while moving to an unprotected mama wombat, and that's why that protected mama wombat would be caught. Think of it as the dingo luckily stumbling into the space with the protected mama wombat instead of stalking her like he normally does.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
msg tools
Perhaps the dingo protection tile should be thought of as providing protection against tracking by the dingo, not complete immunity. That way it will be consistent, with the exception of the dingo avoiding your wombat while walking, if there is an alternate route possible.

Landing on the same space as the dingo, for whatever reason, will still get you chased back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jemwong wrote:
Perhaps the dingo protection tile should be thought of as providing protection against tracking by the dingo, not complete immunity. That way it will be consistent, with the exception of the dingo avoiding your wombat while walking, if there is an alternate route possible.

Landing on the same space as the dingo, for whatever reason, will still get you chased back.


I think that's a good way to put it. Perhaps "protection" was the wrong word. "Cloaked" might be better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
msg tools
mattwolfe wrote:


Not removing the protected mama wombat opens up another potential corner case where the dingo moved toward an unprotected mama wombat but ended movement in a space with a protected mama wombat. If that mama wombat isn't caught immediately, at the start of that player's turn (when the protection ends) that player would immediately be caught by the dingo and, effectively, not have a turn. That's not very fun.


Wait, does getting caught by the dingo on your turn end your movement? It would rarely happen (only real way would be to wander into a dingo), but I always thought if that somehow happened, you would retain your actions for the turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
msg tools
More thoughts about the dingo:

The rulebook could probably be a little more explicit about interactions with the dingo - right now it only says, you have to stop movement when you enter a dingo hex, and later in the dingo phase, it mentions if the dingo moves into your space, then you have to flee. The only other relevant mention is in the dingo protection part, when it says it will not protect you if you move into the dingo's tile.

I'd suggest adding a general rule that you have to flee if you ever end up in the same space as the dingo, for whatever reason.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jemwong wrote:
mattwolfe wrote:


Not removing the protected mama wombat opens up another potential corner case where the dingo moved toward an unprotected mama wombat but ended movement in a space with a protected mama wombat. If that mama wombat isn't caught immediately, at the start of that player's turn (when the protection ends) that player would immediately be caught by the dingo and, effectively, not have a turn. That's not very fun.


Wait, does getting caught by the dingo on your turn end your movement? It would rarely happen (only real way would be to wander into a dingo), but I always thought if that somehow happened, you would retain your actions for the turn.


Your turn ends immediately if you would move into a space with the dingo. You do not get any further actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm a meeple person!
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it allowed to intentionally move into the dingo space?

It's not very thematic, since a wombat would probably never do that knowing the dingo is there.

And gameplay wise, it opens up this cheat like move, that players can use in order to "teleport" themselves to the home tile from the other side of the board (when they are not carrying a baby wombat of course).
For example, the board is set up in such a way that there are some narrow corridors. One player was pushed down that corridor and would now need several turns in order to get out of there since the way is blocked by other mamas, the dingo and some other obstacles. So instead of planning and executing an elaborate escape plan, the pinned down player can simply go to the "wormhole" dingo space and "teleport" himself out of this entire area.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daugenet breaux
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Idanonstop wrote:
Why is it allowed to intentionally move into the dingo space?

It's not very thematic, since a wombat would probably never do that knowing the dingo is there.

And gameplay wise, it opens up this cheat like move, that players can use in order to "teleport" themselves to the home tile from the other side of the board (when they are not carrying a baby wombat of course).
For example, the board is set up in such a way that there are some narrow corridors. One player was pushed down that corridor and would now need several turns in order to get out of there since the way is blocked by other mamas, the dingo and some other obstacles. So instead of planning and executing an elaborate escape plan, the pinned down player can simply go to the "wormhole" dingo space and "teleport" himself out of this entire area.


Most of the times when I have played the wander card forced you to to wander a certain direction as the other terrain type was not available. You could look as moving from space to space as a much larger region rather than running into the dingo. You are wondering and do not really know where a dingo is. Think of wandering as being in a fog of war.

If you are close enough to be wandering into the dingo it is just as if not more likely that when the dingo turn comes around that it will be coming after you and successfully catching you. :-)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idanonstop wrote:
Why is it allowed to intentionally move into the dingo space?

It's not very thematic, since a wombat would probably never do that knowing the dingo is there.

And gameplay wise, it opens up this cheat like move, that players can use in order to "teleport" themselves to the home tile from the other side of the board (when they are not carrying a baby wombat of course).
For example, the board is set up in such a way that there are some narrow corridors. One player was pushed down that corridor and would now need several turns in order to get out of there since the way is blocked by other mamas, the dingo and some other obstacles. So instead of planning and executing an elaborate escape plan, the pinned down player can simply go to the "wormhole" dingo space and "teleport" himself out of this entire area.


Your scenario is exactly why it is allowed to intentionally move into a space with a dingo. It can be a clever move to pull off and can allow a player who is behind to catch up more quickly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.