Popular Tags: [View All]
Piston Broke
Japan
Nagoya
flag msg tools
Come on molasses
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a couple of these points raised but not seen any definitive answers. When setting up for solo play we are told to ...
adjust the EVENT deck to ensure the fortress card is one of the bottom 3 cards - makes sense no problem

Remove all starting items with the 2+ or higher marker is easy to do but why? The rules say you can use "pre-made or custom characters" and you should "follow the rest of the setup from the respective sections." How can you do the latter if the relevant start items are not in play? There are two options either ignore the rule and setup as normal or deal a random number of level 1 starting items (three?). After several plays, have decided I will setup as normal and ignore this rule.

Remove 4 named event cards - I have decided to just remove the "great explorer" and "guide" events. I have left the "togetherness" and "trader caravan" cards in the event deck as they specifically contain solo rules. This also gives you time for a tiny bit more decision making as well.

Finally we are asked to remove the Thief (*2), Raider (*2), Travelling storyteller and Psychologist skill cards and the Camo tent from the equipment deck. The problem here is that the skills cards seem to have mutated and produced new names - looting, raiding, psychology, and storytelling (either that or I am missing some cards. Thankfully the camo tent has not mutated.

Apart from the misnaming my main issue with this step is that it is unnecessary - it is clear in a solo game that cards that are based on interaction should be ignored. The very last sentence under solo play actually states this. Maybe this should be in bold right at the start of the solo rules.

Solo rules which require the minimum of change to the full game encourage people to try it out. The only solo rule you really need for this game is IGNORE INTERACTION EFFECTS OF ALL CARDS and adjust the EVENT deck to ensure the fortress card is one of the bottom 3 cards.

What have I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Billups
msg tools
mbmbmb
I ended up putting some of the starting items back in because they are needed for some of the characters (Rosary beads etc...). I plan on playing the game almost exclusively solo so I removed the cards that were specified in the rules. It does save you time in that once the cards are removed you don't have to read through them to if they are relevant or not. Yes you can just ignore anything that calls for player interaction, but I think they are just going the extra mile and telling you which cards to look out for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
I left all the Events cards in my deck while playing solo. Two are not used, of course, but they give you extra time. With both my solo games I lost within only one turn of reaching the fortress.

As for the other cards, yeah, I just ignore them. Things like Rosary Beads obviously need to be used if you're playing as the nun character. The flare is useless in solo mode yet most characters have it in their inventory. The good thing about having a useless item like this (especially when it takes up no space) is that you can trade it during certain events.

But yeah, I think the designer was just making it clear which things don't need to be used. Those used to gaming can just ignore them and leave them in the decks. Saves set up time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely not stupid.

I think the removal of the 2+ stuff is for creating your own custom character and it doesn't take into consideration the situation where you use a pre-built character. I always assumed the pre-built character started with the correct items and the rules laid out what would be available from that point forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you are stupid, you poor, outmoded relic!

Become posthuman, and experience true, raw intelligence...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piston Broke
Japan
Nagoya
flag msg tools
Come on molasses
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walked right in to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.