Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimo
Ireland
Dublin 2
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

I've just a couple of questions about time and restoration.

First: if you rest in a safe area just to restore cards, do you have to get a time cards? Apparently yes, but i'd like to be sure.

Second: do you get a "free" rest action after each encounter right?

Honestly I cannot understand how people can find this game difficult, practically at least you dont get unlucky drawing 3 +3 time cards, tehre's no way your characters are going to die...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yes x2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get to rest if the location is safe AND no enemies in play. Relentless enemies in play keep you from resting even after the encounter is complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the time cards that make it difficult, especially at certain player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxcito wrote:
Honestly I cannot understand how people can find this game difficult, practically at least you dont get unlucky drawing 3 +3 time cards, tehre's no way your characters are going to die...

I have found it to vary quite a bit. Until last night, I've won every encounter I tried and always played the cleric.

Last night, I played Twisted Woods with some new players. We did fine until the final encounter when two twisted lashers came out with the boss (twisted lashers conveniently place two daze tokens on you, repeatedly, stopping you from defeating them or anything). We couldn't even lay damage on the twisted lashers, much less anything else - they have pretty good armor and a LOT of hp. Combine that with the fact that I decided to try without a cleric, we had some newbies, and we didn't take anyone with magical attacks (yeah, *facepalm*, lol), and we ended up not having much of a chance.

Usually I play Arani and it is a piece of cake. I think she's extremely OP. By herself, she's maybe slightly underpowered (attack-wise) but not helpless by any means. With a group, I always found that she can hold her own and sometimes absolutely slaughter her enemies (undead anyone?), then heal everyone else up and still have time for tea. If you think the game is too easy, try it without her. You'll be scouting your locations pretty religiously. Just *DON'T* travel to a location with +0 restoration if you do.

The game difficulty can vary wildly - player experience, character selection, and even encounter to encounter vary a lot. You can also change the difficulty yourself if it is too easy. I haven't tried flipping any boards, but it is an option when you get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kendl
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have attempted the game twice. Once single player and once with a friend. Both games involved the party moving to the first square and dying. There must be something I'm missing in the rules because I don't see how you can kill enemies faster than they come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeOP wrote:
I have attempted the game twice. Once single player and once with a friend. Both games involved the party moving to the first square and dying. There must be something I'm missing in the rules because I don't see how you can kill enemies faster than they come out.

Hmm! Well, typically, the first fight went something like this with 3 heroes:

Typical blue/green encounter - add 2*h + 1 enemies. Some are skirmishers, some are relentless. (You should always kill all relentless enemies first if possible - they stick around after the encounter ends)

Fengray got 3 enemies, Ardenai got 2, and Crow got 2. Typically you need to kill either h*2 or h+1 enemies to win the encounter (4 or 6, in this example). Most enemies deal 3 damage, have 4 hits and 1 armor (some have 2 armor on one or the other attribute). We had a little trouble sometimes because nobody could deal magic damage easily. On the first round, we'd kill one each, get hit for a fair amount of damage during the defense phase, probably get 0 or 1 reinforcement (usually only if the encounter added one).

Draw the time card and it could be bad, but nothing that would kill your party.

Next round, reinforcements - some encounters don't even have any (blank reinforcement box). If one or two come out, you assign them and reduce those player's focus. This round, each has to kill one more enemy, which shouldn't be too difficult if you find your strengths. Most of you will have reflex cards that can add damage to a regular attack of your weapon - and the regular attack would have been able to do 2-4 damage anyway.

You now have killed 6 enemies, so after defending, you disperse everything except the relentless enemies. If you're lucky, you made that happen. Don't forget that each enemy you killed gave you resolve as you killed them and you can buy advanced feats with the heaps of resolve and use them that very turn to maybe kill another one. Or have the card in your hand for the next round.

If you got lucky and there are no relentless enemies, you get to rest and get some cards back in your deck.

An alternative example to show how easy it could be was Black Coach - we needed to attack it for 2h or h+1 objective tokens to end it (can't remember which). Magic was more effective, adding one token for each damage dealt. Ardenai just whipped out some lightning arrows and an aimed shot and ended the entire encounter by himself in the first round. He was quite smug. The other two just finished off as many enemies as reasonable to avoid wounds and to gain resolve. Then every other enemy just dispersed.

(I should note that lightning arrows is an advanced action - Ardenai can take the last turn in the round and let someone else kill something. All he needed was 2 resolve, I think. It might cost 3 resolve, in which case, you couldn't be so smug about it, but the encounter is just as doable)

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.