Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Looking for help with the Phoenix rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've finally innovated dash and surge.

Tried to go against the phoenix.

Random event on hunt has me lose all equipment of my rawhide guy (no manipulation of the attack deck)

Ambush on survivors. Age tokens galore and immediately burning survival to avoid razor wind.

Then bored comes out. 2 survivors are in the safe zone and everyone else is now the other end of the board, and knocked down.

Hit hit hit, rewind rewind rewind. I don't know how I can even hurt him one time. I brought people with 3/4 insanity so I can burn survival to surge off the age tokens but its by no means guarenteed. This fight seems impossible, what am i doing wrong?!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might just be too early. You want a full rawhide kit or two and a lion kit plus loads of survival before you hit up the phoenix.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I had a full rawhide kit (which of course got lost in the sinkhole before the fight) a green savior with 2 evade and a shield and a white lion pounce + str combo set with leather skirt and hat...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it again with a doover, much nicer start (monster corpse came out).

Still a total party wipe, and again not even close to winning. The ability to knockback knockdown and bleed at least once but normally twice per turn, plus the age tokens making 1/3rd of all hit locations impossible to hit means I don't see how its possible to win.

I have 6 survival and +5 on departure so we all left with 6 survival. Meant I lasted 6 turns. As soon as your dodge ability is gone so are you. The age tokens need you to take them off using dreaded decade but of course that still burns survival as well. Frenzy is completely out as it was just instant uselessness for that character.

Perhaps LY11 is too early to fight the monster, but I can't even see what gear will go anyway to help combat it. Bleed and age tokens do the killing not the damage to the hit locations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It took us a Surging, Lion-kitted, Katars-wielding Red Saviour to nail a Level 1 Phoenix in 3 rounds. The other guys didn't get to do much though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use Dash to move out of the danger Zone when the Phoenix does his wing-wind...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Tried it again with a doover, much nicer start (monster corpse came out).

Still a total party wipe, and again not even close to winning. The ability to knockback knockdown and bleed at least once but normally twice per turn, plus the age tokens making 1/3rd of all hit locations impossible to hit means I don't see how its possible to win.

I have 6 survival and +5 on departure so we all left with 6 survival. Meant I lasted 6 turns. As soon as your dodge ability is gone so are you. The age tokens need you to take them off using dreaded decade but of course that still burns survival as well. Frenzy is completely out as it was just instant uselessness for that character.

Perhaps LY11 is too early to fight the monster, but I can't even see what gear will go anyway to help combat it. Bleed and age tokens do the killing not the damage to the hit locations.


As with every other fight in this game you need to fail a few times to really get a feel for how to succeed.

Dashing out of razor wind is vital, as is learning how to manipulate who the phoenix will target.

A Cat Eye Circlet can help you avoid all of the rewind attacks and having a full set of rawhide gear can really stretch out your survival.

The first few times I fought phoenixes it resulted in TPK's. On my current campaign (that I am writing about in Diary of Death (weblinks below, shameless plug)) I defeated my first phoenix in LY8 and defeated a lvl 2 phoenix on LY's 10 and 12.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What gear are you running? If you've got paint, inner lantern and hovel are you lacking on the other innovations?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
What gear are you running? If you've got paint, inner lantern and hovel are you lacking on the other innovations?


I don't know if the mods are too keen on direct linking, but you can see just about everything you'd want to know about my current campaign here:



I completely avoided white lion armor for this campaign and I have been rocking full-affinitied zanbatos every chance I get.

It's a lot of reading, but the full Diary of Death lays out exactly when I picked up each of the innovations if you are curious as to when and what order I got them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Level 1 Phoenixes are highly variable in difficulty depending on the content of their deck. Using a Rawhide Headband to keep it from pulling out its most devastating attacks helps enormously. A survivor with a full Rawhide set can surge and dash and encourage many times more than any other survivor, so consider taking one such utility character, perhaps with the Leader fighting art, Bandages and the like.

Having an Ageless survivor to play tank makes any Phoenix fight somewhat more survivable. Full leather armor to avoid Bash and thoughtful terrain placement to avoid getting knocked out of attack range also help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van Loon
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mb
I only attempted the Phoenix once so far in my 1st solo campaign. It was short and bloody, to summarize it all, since I didn't read up on it and was totally surprised by all mechanics.

A question: often this wing attack is performed, either as an after damage effect or as a reflex. In case of a reflex, I thought of the following:

If you would have a weapon with reach 2, are you allowed to attack diagonally? I know the Kingsman is allowed to do so, but does it also count for spears and such. That way standing at the right angle while attacking, the wing response would miss due to positioning?

Would this be within the rules?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien Fortin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Konijntjepluis wrote:
I only attempted the Phoenix once so far in my 1st solo campaign. It was short and bloody, to summarize it all, since I didn't read up on it and was totally surprised by all mechanics.

A question: often this wing attack is performed, either as an after damage effect or as a reflex. In case of a reflex, I thought of the following:

If you would have a weapon with reach 2, are you allowed to attack diagonally? I know the Kingsman is allowed to do so, but does it also count for spears and such. That way standing at the right angle while attacking, the wing response would miss due to positioning?

Would this be within the rules?


yes... you can attack diagonally if you have a spear... ( a blue savior with a spear makes miracles)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Wright
United States
Easy Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mb
We just did our first (went in blind :) phoenix fight in LY11 with two experienced survivors, a new red savior, and a blank.

There were a couple things we found:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

- Insanity helps so so much. The card you get to put your age tokens on comes with an additional action you can perform to clear out age tokens. if you have 10+ insanity it's guaranteed to clear them with no penalty. otherwise it's a gamble.

- Note that rewind only applies if you have age tokens.


By combining those two you can hit the phoenix like you would any other monster.

But our savior did age out from a bad roll so :\
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.