Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m very pleased to announce that we just signed an international license agreement for History In Action Games which includes SeaRovers and Tranquility Base. The production version of the games will feature the highest quality components including metal miniatures!

Both games will be shown at New York’s Toy Fair in just a couple of weeks, plus you’ll also see our newest game project which has been kept top secret! The games will be released and on store shelves before the end of the year. Retailers, distributors and others going to the show can send me a PM for our booth number and more information. We’re also already making plans for an Essen debut in October!

A special thank you to those that purchased the hand-built Limited Editions and Rapid-Pro Game Kits! These are indeed very limited and will soon be no longer available. I’ll probably make about 10 more and then that’s it.

We will still offer support and expansions for those versions and I’ll be posting an announcement about the second expansion set shortly.

Thanks again BGG and BGG users for your support!

—Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hamdorf
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
Great news, indeed, Van!

We might see each other in Essen, then.

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Benjamin!
I hope so! It would be a blast to play SeaRovers with some of our international supporters. To date we've sold games to folks in Germany, Sweden, Spain and Italy. I really appreciate everyone's support, especially considering the high cost of international shipping.

Keep the ideas coming and I'll be posting more about the advanced movement rules shortly. Cheers!

—Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news, Van! I'm looking forward to seeing and playing the finished product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic Van - Good luck with it all! Great how it can take off like that!

The force is strog with pirate games this year arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Greg!
It's been a long road to haul since 1999 when I first started developing SeaRovers. You and your groups input was of tremendous help in putting the final touches on the game. It certainly helped round out the gameplay and I am grateful for your suggestions, knowledge and expertise! I sincerely appreciate it.

As you know, when developing SeaRovers it was my intention to design a game that bridged the gap between a heavy gamer’s game that contained enough strategy, detail and substance to capture that audience, yet still create a game that is light enough in the rules and gameplay as to be accessible to the mass-market—not an easy thing to do, but I think we’ve accomplished that goal. Most important of all, it’s an entertaining, fun and competitive game that captures the adventure, spirit and history of the real pirates of the Caribbean.

It’s great to hear from you and I hope we get to exchange some cannon fire on the open seas again soon! Please give my thanks and best regards to everyone at ETG!

—Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
Fantastic Van - Good luck with it all! Great how it can take off like that!

The force is strog with pirate games this year arrrh

Thanks Christian!
Yes, the seas will be filled with great pirate games this year and a lot of gamers will have some swashbuckling pirate game marathons to look forward to. It's great to hear the good news about Merchants & Marauders too!

My best wishes and I look forward to some rum and pirate adventures around the game table when we get the chance! Keep the grog and grapeshot handy and cheers!

—Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Rodrigues
Portugal
Lisboa
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Congrats!!
Keep on the good work.
See you in Essen then. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of a discount program for those that have the Limited Edition ones and want to get a Licensed version?

And that is some awesome news, congratz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news Van!!! Congratulations. You put a lot of hard work into your games and I'm glad to see it paying off for you.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the good words Ricardo, Greg and Jeff.

gf_ripper wrote:
Any chance of a discount program for those that have the Limited Edition ones and want to get a Licensed version?

Yes, I really appreciate all the folks that supported these first editions and will make sure you get a substantial discount off of the production version. Just keep in touch and I'll do likewise.

Thanks again!

—Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't be happier for you, Van. That is great news. If you need help carrying all those metal miniatures to Essen, give me a call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Richard and Scotty!

It's great to here from you and I appreciate your thoughts.

Scotty...I might just take you up on that!

—Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, great news! I still haven't gotten around to playing SeaRovers (yeah, shame on me) but it's still a game I care alot about. If nothing else, because of the great service and generally awesome attitude of Van's. =)

Congratulations Van, it's well deserved!

/Mattias
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
did the licensed version ever get released? I loved the game when I got a chance to player the first edition that I purchased oh so long ago .

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Greg, thanks for your compliments and continued support of SeaRovers!

I had licensed the game to a large company back in 2007, then when the economy took a turn downward in 2008, things stalled out and it took me a while to get the license back. Since then I've had to deal with some major health problems: Thanks from the long and winding road... (doing good now though), and have spent a lot of time working on many aspects of the game that have improved it quite a bit from the first edition I released in limited quantities.

The plan now is to launch it as a KickStarter project this year by Summer. Here some info I've posted recently in another thread concerning the new version and it's upcoming launch:

Vanderdecken wrote:
Yes, the production version has come a long way from previous versions. It incorporates a great amount of feedback from gamers who played earlier versions. The production version has been improved in almost every aspect including game-play, art, and components (including ship miniatures). The new box art:

The new game board map is based on this version:

but now has been expanded to include the entire Gulf of Mexico (with the attack at Vera Cruz). The streamlined flow of the game mechanics are still there in the Standard Game rules, but we've now included optional Advanced Game rules for combat, boarding, etc., as well as a movement system based on weather, a ship's speed rating, and a Captain's nautical skill (with careful regard to maintain a smooth tempo and not let the game-play get bogged down). Overall the game creates an experience and atmosphere based on nautical adventure, and immerses the players in the history and actions of the real buccaneers and pirates of Spanish Main.

I'll be posting in-depth details soon in the SeaRovers forums including the full rules, components, art, etc. Thanks for your interest and cheers!

Other than what I've said above, we're hoping to launch the KickStarter project around May or June, and demo the final production prototypes at Origins and GenCon. I still have a lot of work to do before the project goes live (sending production prototypes out to reviewers, advertising here on BGG, updating our websites, preparing the project video, finalizing production specs and quotes, etc.).

I'll be posting formal announcements in various forums about the upcoming SeaRovers KS launch, as well as a Designer Diary, component pictures, etc., as the entire project nears completion over the next couple of months.

Here's a sneak peak at a few of the updated and/or new cards in the game:

You can also follow our progress on the facebook SeaRovers page here: https://www.facebook.com/SeaRoversGame

Thanks again. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you were ill, but glad you are doing better. The new cards look great. Can't wait for the kickstarter. Any chance there will be a section for us first edition people? Either way let me know when it goes live and I will help out as best I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Greg!
Thanks again. All of you limited edition folks (and those still waiting on their games) will be specially rewarded for your support and patience.

Those still waiting on their games will automatically receive a level of support in the project that will include the game.

I sincerely appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome news!

Glad to see you regained your sea legs, my friend.

SeaRovers will rock.

James

P.S. Any chance we'll see you at BGGCON 2013 in Dallas (nudge, hint, elbow)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about your illness, Van. I hope your health has improved.

Looking forward to the finished product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Overbay
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
This is awesome news!

Glad to see you regained your sea legs, my friend.

SeaRovers will rock.

James

P.S. Any chance we'll see you at BGGCON 2013 in Dallas (nudge, hint, elbow)?

Thanks James! Your thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks also for your patience and valuable input. I can't say for sure about BGGCON, but I won't rule it out! Best regards!

gschloesser wrote:
Sorry to hear about your illness, Van. I hope your health has improved.

Looking forward to the finished product!

Thanks Greg! I really appreciate the good thoughts. I'm looking forward to the finished project too. You and your group provided some great input that you'll see some of in the production version. Thanks again to you and the ETG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.