Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played a 3-player, 6 hours first session. Because of all the threads warning that turning mutant and dying can happen very easily we all played very carefully and avoided all possible risks by camping and scouting a lot.
Only 2 of us died once, no-one turned into a mutant and one player (the one that didn't die) actually made it to the fortress. Yay!

We still have some questions, though, which the rulebook doesn't 100% give conculsive answers (in my opinion).

1. Skills (p.2): the rulesbook says pre-made characters come with pre-assigned skills. Some character cards say "Athlete Draw 1 skill" or "Meditation Draw 2 skills" while others don't mention drawing skills and just say "Acrobatics".
Does this mean that the Athlete (Runner) gets the Athletics skill + 1 random skill, the Nun (Meditation) gets the meditation skill + 2 random skills and the Cage Fighter (Acrobatics) only gets the Acrobatics skill?

2. Strength (p.3). 4 str = +1 wound in melee, is that per combat round, or per wound caused in a fight? So an unblocked attack would cause 1(+1)=2 wounds and an unblocked critical hit would cause 2(+1)=3 wounds for a total of 5? Or if you have 1 unblocked attack and 1 unblocked critical attack it would cause a 1+2(+1)=4 wounds total?
The explanation on p.8 seems to indicate the latter.

3. Strength. If you exchange 6xp for 1 extra str and your max health subsequently increases, do you also get +1 health?

4. Speed/Green dice. Why would you ever want to roll green dice instead of red? You basically exchange 1 crit (+ 1 master hit) for 1 hit + 1 shield. We thought this mostly undesirable because you want that monster dead. Taking less damage but at a decreased chance of killing the enemy and having to go into an other round of combat was considered rather undesirable in by far the most cases. We considered it as a bit of an unnecessary extra rule.

(Speed was considered as by far the most useful in the shooting phase so you can always shoot first and take one enemy (often the one that can shoot out of two or three enemies) out before they can shoot back, as you can't defend against shooting.
What evading is concerned, even at speed 5, outrunning a speed 2-3 enemy is far from a guaranteed succes. It was always seen as a very big risk because one bad throw would be extremely costly (not shooting and just 1 red die in 1st round of combat). So we never did it because the penalty for failing is really extremely harsh; it basically comes down to "if you fail, take 3-5 wounds". We also considered this as a bit of an unnecessary extra rule. And subsequently having a speed greater than 4 as a waste of your stat points.)

5. Hunger. Is being in a safe zone also considered to be eating (and thus being able to decrease hunger) as you are being "fed" while staying there?
Not sure how I should envisage "being fed" without "eating"?
*EDIT* Just found out being fed doesn't mean eating. Strange as it may sound.

6. Moving on the journey track: can you also opt to move back from, say, zone 2 to zone 1 when you gain a journey point?

7. Extra wounds on monster encounter cards (p.6). Does this mean that, similar to Strength, every hit adds an additional wound?
So for example, a lvl3 Rhino (gets 2 extra wounds) that throws 2 unblocked crits (not impossible as his "?" also counts as a crit + knockdown) does 2(+2)+2(+2)=8 damage?
Or does it add extra wounds when totalling damage after the end of each combat round (p.8) so it's 2+2(+2)=6?

8. Melee. Can you block a critical hit with a shield (p.8 seems to indicate that you can)? And if so, who decides what the monsters block first?

That's it! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cruz
msg tools
mb
Great questions! I honestly don't know the answer to some of these, but I do want to clarify combat as I think it is quite easy to be confuse by it (my group definitely did the first time around).

When you roll Melee, you compare how many POTENTIAL hits you have. If you have more successes than the opponent, then the wounds are given to the loser (if its a tie, both parties receive wounds simultaneously. If both parties manage to block or miss, nothing happens).

For example, Player A is fighting against a mutant. Player A rolls 2 axes and one shield. The mutant rolled 2 axes and a miss. Player A's shield blocked one of the mutants' axes causing the mutant to only have 1 axe left capable of hitting Player A. The outcome? Player A to have 2 "hits" against the mutants' 1 "hit". Player A won this round, which means that the mutant takes the wound base on the amount of drips on the melee weapon + any strength bonuses (Mutant does not give out wounds).

In the case of a critical hit, you just add an additional wound (I don't think the blocking of a critical prevents the wound if the player has more success than the opponent).

This should help you answer questions #2, parts of #4, #7, and #8 (answer above).

As for question #1

You are correct. The Runner gets the Athletic skill + 1 random skill. The Nun gets the Meditation skill + 2 randoms, etc etc. What I did was give everyone their allotted skills then the first player will draw their required random and etc.

Question #3

I think this only applies to the maximum. I don't think you gain a health with it.

Question #4

The green die can actually be useful if you feel you can't win in melee. It helps block and although you won't kill the opponent, you can last enough to live the 3 rounds (Enemies runaway, I have no idea why, after the 3rd round of a melee fight). You won't get the xp, but you'll live another day (I'm assuming this is the sole purpose of the green die).

As for speed, well it's useful with range, but I can't really speak on evading. Didn't think much of it during gameplay so I'm not sure how risky it is (look above for the damage output).

Question #5

I had no idea about this, but I guess it make sense.

Question #6

Great question. No clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Good questions.

4. I haven't used green dice at all so far. I'll only be doing so when I start using armour, I think.

6. It says in the book that once you enter a level 2 or 3 zone, you can never go back to drawing the cards from the previous levels. And you can't move along the journey track unless the last encounter you had was the level of the space you want to move to. This would count for both forward and backward movement, technically. But I don't think we are meant to ever move backwards. The idea, I believe, is that you become more experienced and stronger along the way and the encounters you have become more difficult. It would be too easy to level up and then fight weak enemies just to get more rewards.

8. Yes, you can block a critical hit with a shield. Critical first, normal second. As for when the enemies strike, they block normal hits first before blocking critical (if they can even block critical - still not sure about that).

I'll subscribe to the thread to see what others answer too. Hope this helps a little
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Gîndulescu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorado69 wrote:
Good questions.

4. I haven't used green dice at all so far. I'll only be doing so when I start using armour, I think.

6. It says in the book that once you enter a level 2 or 3 zone, you can never go back to drawing the cards from the previous levels. And you can't move along the journey track unless the last encounter you had was the level of the space you want to move to. This would count for both forward and backward movement, technically. But I don't think we are meant to ever move backwards. The idea, I believe, is that you become more experienced and stronger along the way and the encounters you have become more difficult. It would be too easy to level up and then fight weak enemies just to get more rewards.

8. Yes, you can block a critical hit with a shield. Critical first, normal second. As for when the enemies strike, they block normal hits first before blocking critical (if they can even block critical - still not sure about that).

I'll subscribe to the thread to see what others answer too. Hope this helps a little :)

6. I think he meant whether it is possible to actually move backwards from a zone to another and not levels. I believe the answer is no, you always move forward - there's an arrow that points forward from one zone to another.

8. On page 8 it says enemies first block critical attacks, then normal attacks and lastly question marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
mirceag wrote:
Lorado69 wrote:
Good questions.

I'll subscribe to the thread to see what others answer too. Hope this helps a little

6. I think he meant whether it is possible to actually move backwards from a zone to another and not levels. I believe the answer is no, you always move forward - there's an arrow that points forward from one zone to another.

8. On page 8 it says enemies first block critical attacks, then normal attacks and lastly question marks.

6. Not sure. The heading of number 6 is "Moving on the journey track" (or something like that). But you're right - no backward movement from one zone to another is possible either.

8. I think I read that the other way. The "they remove..." can be read as either "the enemy removes your..." or "the enemy removes their..."

I think you're right there as well. I've been playing that the enemy removes my normal attacks first, then critical, etc.

Thanks for that clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.