mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an AAR of the DG version of Wellingtons's victory. I promised myself I would play a waterloo game in 2015 after going to the reenactment (which was good and bad for different reasons). While a GMT Nappy Wars player at heart, I also enjoy Empires in Arms (I guess by computer now days) Nations in Arms (with the re write rules, thanks Bjorn) and DG's/SPI's Napoleon's Last Battles using Markus Stumptner's rules (thanks Markus, fellow Aussie).

I have several other Napoleonic games (see chief_chemist on BBG).

In these games I like to imagine who I am. In the Operational NLB I am clearly Wellington or Napoleon. In the Strategic Nappy wars I am the Head of Government. Same for EIA and NIA.
WV is Grand Tactical. I struggled for a few weeks to get into the game as I could not see who I was. Then I saw that I am the Divisional Commanders one by one. You have to be able to cut this big battle up into little parts to eat it. This is strange as I don't remember the experience being difficult in 3 Days at Gettysburg.

Now, let me be clear up front. I am an experienced board gamer and after about 3 weeks it was clear to me that the Commands rule suck. I was going to use some others but finally decided to just drop them.

I had the game on the table for a while but stacks of 10 were too hard to use (and I am a OCS player!). Hence I went to Vassal from the DG site.

I will start the AAR at 12:30 PM. Much moving has taken place. Sine I am playing Solo both sides look well set up to me. The French need to win and win fast.

OOB is on the big helper card..Mostly in this AAR, I will be playing the 1and II Corps with support from the 6th.

French

Allies

I will post more in the replays to keep this post manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I go on.. Here is the game set up on my table at the start positions. I have solders to show what is what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time: 12:30

News from the front. Our balloon can see the dispositions. not much smoke yet.

Looking West to east..

The allies N3 Division is West in Pospol. The YG is in Plancenoit. French 14C,1C GL and the 13C are right flank guards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting west to East.

I am General Pire, 2nd Cavalry of the II Corps. I look a little old in the tooth and perhaps like someone has pissed me off. F@$$ Allies..pox on them..

Quote:
Piré's Division consisted of the 5e and 6e Lanciers commanded by 27 year old, Colonel Jean-Francois Jacqueminot Vicomte de Ham, and Colonel Nicolas-Marie-Mathurin Baron de Galbois respectively. The brigade commander was 38 year old, Versailles born General Francois-Isidore Wathiez. The 2e Brigade comprised the 1er and 6e Regiments des Chasseurs under Colonels Pierre-Joseph-Victor Simonneau and 27 year old, Paul-Eugene de Faudoas. Their brigade commander was the 60 year old veteran Prussian born General Pierre-Francoise-Antoine Baron Huber. The officer casualties for the conflict amounted to 44 wounded including Colonels de Galbois and Simonneau and six killed.
Quote:

He is ordered to attack west of Hougoumont. However they discover a hedge and must attack wide of that.

10 Sq Steps are in close formation (Wathr) LANCERS! They move (M6) to attack the unit directly in front. Once in the reaction zone.
Lieutenant Colonel Hugh Baron Halkett from the 3rd Hanoverians can try and from square but roll 3 D 6 moral checks vs Moral 4. As it is it will be DF 6 then AS 6 (Defender fire) (6 dice) (Attacker Shocks) (6 dice).
Square would be (with some Disruption no doubt), DF 3 AS 3 (due to +1 Moral)

Details: DF 6: 1 dice base, +1 close range, +2 for line, +2 for target in close Formation = 6. AS 5: base 1 , 1 better moral, +2 Formation, +2 cav .charge, +1 bigger, - - 2 = 2 +2 for target in line = 6 max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hackett decides to stay in line.

The 95th Rifles under Blar can react, face change and fire but does not want to present an oblique side to other cavalry that will charge. Sure enough Huber;s Chasseurs charge. The 95th with a good moral try to form square and does with more effect. In the Charge, Pire, moves 3 Squadrons two hexes behind the charge line to act as a rally point and avoid routs.

The d, Hurbals's 12 Cavalry Division takes a position on the flank of the 2nd C. This is fair enough as he does look like and wimp. Pissing his pants at the sight of the 5th Cav and Netherland's Cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving East.

At Houroumont, Jerome, (Nappy's Brother) attacks the farm now in blaze with 1st Brigade . One stack in close col the other in line. 2nd Brigade moves on each flank (on the right as skirmishers). Shit, when I play him I better talk in a feminine limp wrist gay bar loiterer voice!

At this point I will bend the rules a little and do combat for this part.

Starting with the farm house.
Skirmishers fire 1D
Reaction" Sanhams Arty reacts to the French Skirmishers near the hedge. Canister firer! But 2D for open and soft cover.
2.3 Guard returns fire.
Fire continues between units on each side of the farm. The French take hits. One unit routs.

Now the the Farm (improved but a blaze). Fist the Line fires. AF 2 DF 2 = 2 no effect
Now the Engaged Close column assaults the gate. Led by Jerome! DF 5, AS 3 Risky!!!!
24 = 24 2 steps and 3 D, the stack Retreats one hex to the "safe hex".
Jerome just misses death (8) but is overjoyed at seeing all those cute guys in red coats. Clearly Poofs, Close Col. and Gates don't mix.

Now the 2nd Cavalry.
Firstly, the house arty fires on the square of the 51st L of the 4/4. AF 4, 1 step, D2! Ouch.
12th Cav horse arty fires at the line 3 H2. Misses. Return fire kills some gunners.

Cavalry Moral checks OK and so charges. The attack on the square with the good moral 95th Rifles, goes in first. DF2 AS1
1: 5,6 / 4 . Repulsed!. No leaders die. The Cav withdraws to the safe hex.

Not Good so far….

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next is the Lancers vs the Line of Hanoverian's. Pass Moral and deliver the charge. DF6, AS 6

Hugh might be a hard nut to crack as he holds a mighty bog book in his hand.

This will be a wave combat.
6d6 = 2,3,3,3,3,5 *** 1 step
6d6 = 1,2,3,4,4,5 **1 step 1 D
Next Squadron, Moral Ok DF5, AS6
6d6 = 2,3,3,4,5 : 1 step
6d6 = 1,2,3,4,5,6: 2 Step 2D now 3D in Zone = retreat. Brave , brave Sir Halkett ran away…
Leaders are OK.
Pursuit check needs <6, Ok

This is the situation…The allies will no doubt have to advance to clear the French horse arty. Allies 5th an NC Cavalry are near.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next I will become MR Foy of the 9th Division. Finally a man of substance.
Before his death he wrote a history of the Peninsular War. Wish I read French!

I have 4 stacks of units in Line. I will advance.

The 20th Div of the 6th Corps is behind the 9th.

Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<mark> - FR 92 X V. 22G/1
*** 1d6 = 2 *** <mark>
*** 2d6 = 3,3 *** <mark>
* AA Morale moves 3053 -> 3054 *

<mark> - FR 4L X V. 22G/1
*** 2d6 = 1,5 *** <mark>
*** 1d6 = 2 *** <mark>
*** 4d6 = 3,5,6,6 *** <mark>
* 3153: Fr 9/4Lt/2A was eliminated *
* 3153: Morale level decreased *
* 3153: Fr 9/4Lt/3A is disordered Level 2 *

F@#$@#$! The Guard are hard to budge!
<mark> - Artillery moves one hex forward and fires. (reduced fire)
*** 1d6 = 5 *** <mark> nada, needs a 6!

Skirmishers deploy and the line moves up the hill at the English Arty.. Brave men…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5th Division on the 9th right also moves is commanded by Gilbert Bachelu.

They move forward as does 3rg CAV (Général de Division Baron Domon's
and the guns of 5th Div and 6th Corps. 6x12lb guns & 2x5.5in howitzers

9th and 5th Div attack with 3C and 19th and 20th in rear.

Facing us are guns and the 5th/3 See OOB above..

Defending is uncle Colin to Hugh! A cranky old bastard.

The situation is fluid (may D1's!). It will depend on the allies counter.

A reaction change by the allies 3rd CAV goes in but the Skirmishers evade and the French line infantry holds them off. Both sides take a D2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally the 1st , 5th CAV and 4th Divisions go in on La Haye Saint and its western side. Units East of that (3rd Div, and 13th Cav) hold.

Quiot, 1st Div. This guy seems to have been a dick.

4th Division: This guy was badly wounded at Waterloo.

Unfortunately, the 3rd CAV withdrawal after charge has caused a traffic jam.

The 5th Cav goes in first.

The battle rages and so the 15 min is up. La Haye Saint falls. 3C in Line formation is repulsed in front of cannon. 1St division is Ponderous and 4th is in a traffic jam.

2nd Division takes the farms

Bravo!!! Xavier! Historically he did it as well!

Now, the Allies get a turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The allies counter attack including 3 cavalry charges does little but remove the skirmishers and add D2's. Some devastating Artillery fire makes a Leader and 3 Squadrons of the French 5th Cavalry surrender yielding 2 FOW which caused leader checks.

So in Review and learning for next time I take out the game or pick up the game from here….

• This game is too big for the tactical nature. I think some small scenerio's where say two (2) divisions fight is best.
• Infantry Stacks should be Brigades (house rule) as each division has 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
Hi, Mark;
It looks like you might be using too many units in the French stacks. Remember that only the _top_ counter participates in combat, though retreats and overflow results affect the entire stack. For example, Foy's large division could easily form six or even eight stacks, with additional counters for skirmisher support. Even there some of the units would be superfluous, at least until the ones above them were killed. All those additional pieces in a stack don't give the slightest benefit to an attack or defense. (apart from absorbing losses before the stack retreats) In some cases (weak or bad morale) the extras even mean there are survivors left over to surrender with an unfavorable result.

Also, please don't be too eager to dismiss the command rules. Instead of having artificial commitent restrictions, WV2 addresses the availability of leaders (only if HQ is activated) and sets locations (the activated HQs) where revived or rallied units return to play. Too close to the enemy and enemy arty fire scores FOW results (as well as deactivating the HQ). Too far, and revived units march a ways to get back into the fight. Also an HQ helps its nearby subordinates March with a single command point. (puis importante pour les Prussiens, non?)

It's great to see you pursue the game. A' la victoire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I am only using the top unit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
Hi, Mark-

That's not what I meant. You don't seem to be improperly adding units _in_ the combats; instead some of the stacks seem unnecessarily large.

I was thinking of the four regimental stacks Foy formed. He could easily form eight (more?) battalion stacks instead, which would all be able to have a couple of counters. Each such stack would be as combat effective as a larger stack, and add the benefit that a retreat wouldn't burden additional units in most cases. Units low in a stack still retreat when the top unit does. (wave combat is a partial exception) Having those lower counters behind (in Open Order) or beside such a stack (instead of joining it) protects them from that, and also allows them to be close enough to the battle to join it in their next move without worrying much about separating from stack- mates that need to stay put and make a recovery check.

Naturally having skirmishers in front/ beside such stacks also affects the number of "main" stacks a division can form.

I'm sure that I'm still very much in the "learning tactics" stage, and shouldn't be preaching. This game shows great promise so far, as long as all those dice don't escape behind the couch. 8^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell a single thing about what actually happened in thus play through from the posts, despite the plentiful screenshots. Nothing about the mechanics is ever explained. Nothing about the decisions or die rolls or what they are for or mean, anywhere.

I can say that nothing described looks or sounds anything like the battle of Waterloo in any aspect. The closest it came was some unintelligible random determinations about forming square in reaction to a cavalry charge - but with a clear impression that an infantry unit could receive such a charge in line with excellent chances, which is nonsense, of course. I can't see any reason, in fact, why any infantry unit would ever be in anything but line, from anything reported in the play through. The whole French attack on their far left, meanwhile, looks like a completely unprepared and premature collision, a mechanical charge forward until the enemy is hit.

Overall, it reads more like a car crash than a military operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
I suspect that Mark assumed that the reader would have some familiarity with the rules. Detailed explanations of the mechanics of play would detract from the battle- wide focus of the AAR.

The relevant rules aren't hard to understand. Most of the mechanics involve rolling various numbers of dice. These in turn cause morale checks, and, in combat rolls, losses. (in an MC, dr> Morale rating = failure, cumulatively causing D, rout, or surrender; also, in a combat roll the total of all dice /10 [rounded down] = steps lost) Various things, such as reactive formation change, can cause the morale DRs. There are a variety of modifiers, which increase or decrease the number of dice thrown in a given roll. Most of these are set out in the combat and formation tables, or on the formation markers themselves.

Naturally tactics must take account of the various conditions that cause or modify the dice rolls. The AAR shows some of these.

Also, specifically about infantry Line, it isn't always the best formation because of the extra burden it imposes on movement and joining or leaving a stack, and because of its shock combat modifiers. Square is actually pretty useful against cavalry attack; it just isn't the Death Star that other systems depict. A square, unsupported by other units, can eventually be worn down by Wave Attack, whereas a Line is easily blown out by a cavalry charge without bothering with Waves. (The Line does have a little better chance of inflicting losses before it evaporates. A unit with exceptional Morale, such as Foot Guards, may actually stand with loss to itself.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

24 die 6 for one cavalry attack because someone says "wave"? Lovely.
With every 10 total pips a step loss? Average of 8 "hits", and only need 3 rolls above the targets morale out of 24 to cause surrender?

Sorry, these just seem absurd rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
Jason-

You clearly haven't read the rules if you think that a wave attack gives that many dice. Each wave can _potentially_ roll as many as 6 dice. (it's the maximum for any roll) It's usually fewer. The total works out to X per wave times N waves. Each wave rolls separately, since each wave's attack is basically separate from the others. The total in the short partial AAR i posted on the other thread was something like 15 dice, spread over 3 waves. Losses are figured for each roll, NOT for the total of all waves. Excess fractions are lost. Morale failures are cumulative, within limits. (see below) Yes, the attack was effective, but not to the outlandish extent you say.

The defending square does get to shoot at each wave as it attacks. In my AAR the fire began reduced by the D1 the battalion suffered when it changed formation. Hence it threw only 2 dice for the first wave, and 1 each for the others. (If the battalion's top counter were larger -British ones are 6 or more instead of 4- it would fire rather better, given size greater than French morale)

However that only managed to D one of the waves, so that the waves used nearly their maximum number of dice each in the shock combat. (5: 1 for attacking, +2 for strength advantage [double or better, remember the special factors], -1 for net formation [+2 for CCol and -3 for Square], +1 for better Morale, and +2 for charging. If the early waves had suffered D results or losses they would have been less effective. If the Luneburgers had been in (behind) terrain that protected them from charge the Cuirassiers would have been much less effective. Remember, too, that these Frenchmen are the dreaded Cuirassiers, and not mere Chasseurs. (higher morale and special factors)

Morale failures are cumulative only to an extent. D1 and D2 are additive and straightforward. D3 -if suffered during a roll- has no effect on a square except that the affected unit is still D2 afterwards. D4 is rout, and will cause the square to retreat. (in the Travers scenario the infantry would eagerly accept that means of survival) D5 is the feared Surrender. (Rout and Surrender also give FOW results) The battalion in the scenario is a 2- counter battalion and thus able to use its bottom counter in the early waves to help it confine morale failures to a single counter. (the top one) What often happens in a wave attack is that the early waves cause reduction of the defender's morale via D1 and D2. (each level subtracts one from strength and morale, to a minimum of 1)

This system does require a defender to do something more than climb into its Death Star. It stresses mutual support, which is almost absent from the short scenario. The British heavies don't arrive in the play area until too late to help the infantry. If the British player is lucky, a step or two of infantry might survive, but that won't be Somerset's doing. Just one adjacent friendly stack (never mind artilery) able to make reaction fire on that CCol would shred it in a wave attack, since it too gets to fire at each wave. Friendly cavalry (i.e. Somerset, if he were there) could make a reaction charge or shock to pre- empt the French charge and so divert it from the Luneburgers.

Look what happened historically to this battalion, which iirc was virtually wiped out. The idea in this system is to discourage wave attack by not hanging the infantry out to dry. The only saving grace for Wellesley was that the 13eme Cuirassier Division was diverted from supporting D'Erlon's main attack, with disastrous results for the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nolan - Direct quote from the narrative above -

"This will be a wave combat.
6d6 = 2,3,3,3,3,5 *** 1 step
6d6 = 1,2,3,4,4,5 **1 step 1 D
Next Squadron, Moral Ok DF5, AS6
6d6 = 2,3,3,4,5 : 1 step
6d6 = 1,2,3,4,5,6: 2 Step 2D now 3D in Zone = retreat. Brave , brave Sir Halkett ran away…"

That is 24 dice, not 15. And the rolls are low. The expectation for step losses from 6d6 if every 10 is a step loss is 1.66, with a small chance of 3, practically no chance of 0, and roughly 1/3 1 and 2/3 2 steps. From each such roll. 4 of them in a row for one charge is beyond silly. Not to mention the clumsiness of a mechanic that has to roll 24 dice just for the attacker to resolve a single charge.

Also, the designers could have saved us all that trouble by having a 6 attack just roll 1-2 equals 1 step loss, 3-6 equals 2. As the entire direct loss outcome of such a charge, incidentally, that would have been believable - without the 4 times over aspect. Then worse might have happened if the infantry reacted to that level of loss in a melee by breaking, etc.

I'll stick to the actual Wellington's Victory, thanks. It needs modding, certainly - I'll mod it. The direction it needs modding is not vastly more complicated mechanics or higher losses or supercharged cavalry destroying infantry squares, none of them problems with the original or distinctive features of the historical battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
>Nolan - Direct quote from [Mark's] narrative above -

>"This will be a wave combat.
>6d6 = 2,3,3,3,3,5 *** 1 step
>6d6 = 1,2,3,4,4,5 **1 step 1 D
>Next Squadron, Moral Ok DF5, AS6
>6d6 = 2,3,3,4,5 : 1 step
>6d6 = 1,2,3,4,5,6: 2 Step 2D now 3D in Zone = retreat. Brave , brave >Sir Halkett ran away…"

Actually, Jason, this is a wave attack against a (2- counter) Hannover Landwehr battalion IN LINE, apparently stacked with its brigade leader. (morale of 3, add 1 for the leader's rating) The strength is also 3.

My apologies for referring to my own post in another thread, involving Travers.

Each of the rows of dr results represents ONE SIDE of that wave attack. The first of each pair of such rows is the DR for the defender's return fire. Yep, they're Landwehr, but they're in Line (+2 for fire) the Lanciers are in CCol (+2 for the firers) the shooters get 1 for showing up, and +1 for close range. That's six dice FOR THE DEFENDER. The attacking squadron takes the result in that line. The second of each pair is the attacker's roll. The Lanciers could roll well more than 6 dice, but they're held in check by the maximum. (1 for attacking, +2 for defender in line, +2 for CCol, +2 for size advantage, +2 for charging, and +1 for better morals. The result for that row is the one for the defenders in that wave.

If the defenders had _good_ Return Fire for any wave, so that the cavalry suffered 2 hits from it, that wave would be defeated, and thus have no Shock roll at all. The attack would then continue with the next wave if any squadrons remained to attack. That's a considerable risk for a CCol against Line, so that the attacker might well choose not to use wave attack. (If so, the losses from defensive fire wouldn't preclude the Charge attack, but there would be only one attack.)

The second wave would see the LW btn with only 5 dice for its RF shot. (a negative 1 for its D1 status) Hence a lesser chance of meting out more than one hit. The attacker's dice wouldn't be diminished due to its surplus. You'll notice that Pire checked Pursuit, no doubt because that would stick the Lancers way out on a limb. You'll also notice that the Lancers took 2 hits for their trouble.

THUS the segment you quote shows each side rolling a total of 12 dice. With a defender in Line facing Lancers in CCol the outcome seems less bloody -and perhaps more equal- than it might have been. arrrh (The attack against the adjacent battalion [95 Rifles, no doubt with Richard Bloody Sharpe 8^)] in Square wasn't at all similar.

The outcome of that charge was that the defenders suffered 3 hits and retreated without routing. (end at D2 since D3 is a transient condition; _routed_ units have a D rating of 3 for subsequent results) The attackers took 2 hits and found it expedient to end the charge without pursuit. The first- wave squadron became D2.

It's worth pointing out that:
(1) each wave must either clear the defender's hex, or become +D2 for failing to do so [they're charging; it's just +1 if only Shocking]; and
(2) Each roll by either side that causes at least a D result also calls for use of the Leader Loss table. (W or K on 2d6 result >8/ >10) That includes the cavalry's attack roll that fails to cleat the hex and so generates that +D2. For the cavalry leader loss (assuming there's no substitute in the stack) means that the CCol stack becomes overstacked and suffers awful penalties. (CCol requires a leader to use multiple squadrons)

It's increasingly obvious that you prefer the original game, and likely without considering the actual features of the remake. I hope you'll at least consider this game on its own merits, and not by its failing to be a simple reprint of the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Landwehr in line is bloodying the nose of charging cavalry, with 24 dice rolled to resolve a 2-3 step loss and D back 2. Check. Just hopeless, check. Nothing do to with liking the original, active dislike for the new approach in its entirety. For more complicated mechanics, for grossly overrating lines, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
I think your mind was made up before you even looked at this thread, and you certainly haven't read the rules. shake

The Landwehr gets to throw lots of dice because it's shooting at a concentrated, deep target. (Wave attack is allowed only to cavalry in Close Column.) Even a guy whose glasses are an inch thick can hit _some_thing under those conditions. Line means the unit is optimizing its fire frontage within the hex. Naturally more seasoned troops might throw even more. (one component of individual counter strengths, which can gain size advantage under the right conditions: here they'd only need to have a strength of 5 to exceed the Lancers' Morals of 4) The LW isn't prevented from forming Line, as it might be in other systems; it's just weaker than, say, Highlanders.

I grant that it seems, well, weird to throw lots of dice at once. I finally broke down and got a dice tray because of this game. (after gaming since 1963 without one) Still I can't escape the suspicion that my own understanding of tactical matters in that era is strongly colored by other games. (specifically Les Batailles, which I like very well, except for the chit pull) I had to fight my strong prejudice to even pick this one up.

Now I'm glad I did. It's different, and might have some things that need adjustment. (ask me in a year or so) However it reaches for the truth, instead of merely accepting the judgements of old designs.

Or I could simply resolve combat by coin toss. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
The discussion needs another important point. Losses to a unit aren't the end of its story in this system. Steps lost represent (in addition to casualties) loss of cohesion, straggling, and the like. The game reflects this by allowing units to regain lost steps using the command rules. (very different than the straitjacket rules found in other systems) Each side gets Command Points from a variety of sources. (Army HQ, and Army and Corps Commanders.) The French and Prussian chiefs of staff add to the HQ value if in the same hex. Each army also gets a few replacement steps from its deployed Army Train units. (The Prussian one arrives late.)

Each Turn, the French get an average of 4 CP from HQ, and one each from their 3 Army Commanders [Nappy, Ney, and Soult, though Soult is rarely used for this] and 5 Corps Commanders, with suitable die rolls. Plus an average of 2 Train steps. The British have 2 from their HQ, and one each from Wellington, Uxbridge, Hill [edited from Clinton, doubtless a Freudian slip], and Orange with proper drs. They also get an avg. of 2 Train steps. (The French get more since their army is better organized and larger.)

Naturally Command Points have additional uses, such as activating HQs.

CP and Train Steps can be used to rebuild units only where the units are adjacent (or with) their Activated HQ, and sometimes the Commander generating the CP must also be adjacent.

In context of this AAR, the French Lancers could depend on rebuilding their lost steps (each Sqn. begins with two) using either Army CPs or a CP generated by their own Corps CO, Reille. Each step takes one CP to revive, so that it would take two, perhaps spent in more than one turn. This would require the reduced squadrons to either Consolidate (stacked with their Leader) or move back to the 2Cav HQ. Reille would need to move to the HQ in order to contribute. In either case the lost steps would be revived at the HQ. (in Consolidation the eliminated unit would go to the HQ Box so as to be available to rebuild next turn) That would take a few turns before the rebuilt unit(s) could get back into the fight.

The Hannover LW also has the same mechanic available. (with Hill its Corps Commander) It's lost 3 of its 4 steps, leaving it with only its reduced "bottom" counter [2-2-3] on the map and D2'd. The other counter [3-3-3] is in the 2 Div HQ box and thus available. (Hill would need to be adjacent to contribute his CP.) Rebuilding is less likely for this battalion than for the Lancers since it has rather less combat value, and CP or Train Steps are scarce.

Thus the outcome is less unusual than a casual look might suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark Hodgkinson
Bahrain
bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamers are funny people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
Jason's apparently serious about his criticism. He has started his own version of the original system rules over in that category. (thread for Revamp) I haven't played the original in so long that I shouldn't comment on the revamp in any detail. However it looks like he makes a bit of an incorrect assumption concerning the available frontage of a battalion in column.

(Not to mention the arrangement of the _files_ in a column; ranks weren't staggered by a half- pace as they were in Line for the sake of rearward ranks having gaps through which to fire, or rearrange rank order to reload. This seems a simple adjustment, unless the formation were moving. Usual for a Column. This meant that the column provided unrestricted fire for only the front rank.)

My understanding of a Column of Divisions is that the battalion deployed on a 2- company frontage. (French bns had six, British ones eight, though British strengths were often lower.) Jason suggests that such a frontage would give the Column roughly the same width as a hex, so that the unit in Line would overflow the hex. I'm not sure that's true, except where the battalion is rather larger than those in WV.

A battalion with 500 men (FR usual size in the original; here some liberties are taken in the form of extra counters for the same strength) would have roughly 83 men per company, so that each company deployed in 3 ranks (also doctrine for FR) would have a frontage of less than 30 yds. Thus roughly 60 yds for the battalion in Column. That leaves considerable space in a 100- yd hex. (original; here they're 110) Naturally the Line for such a battalion would still overflow the hex quite a lot. Confining it to 100 yd. would leave a good number of extra troops to cover losses.

British Columns would be even narrower given their practice of doubling the 2- rank line for Column or attack in Line. (This was apparently also true for Line generally at Waterloo due to the narrow frontage adopted by the ALC in its position, and the predicted need to form square.) Naturally the BR unit in Line would likewise overflow the hex even given the usual practice of holding the Grenadier and Light companies as reserves (or skirmishers) in defense.

EDIT: In this system those battalions that could overflow their hexes have more than one counter. [in some cases coming from the "regimentsl" counters, such as French Grenadiers] That allows the players to either extend their formation into extra hexes, or add strength to a single hex to cover losses. That LW battalion in the AAR might have been in _two_ heses due to its two counters. Extended Line.

Also note that the Line's fire would shed a couple of dice if the cavalry hadn't been in CCol. D1/D2 status (in waves after the first) would also have reduced the Line's fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.