Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the top two dilemmas a wargamer faces is whether to open their box by gripping the top and bottom of the "lid" or by gripping the right and left sides. Some say the top and bottom because reasons. While others say the right and left for other reasons. If a box is printed in a "portrait" format, the the right and left sides are longer and flex a little easier to get your fingers into the gap. But if the box is printed "landscape" then the top and bottom edges are longer.

Square boxes are just horrible because they produce a conundrum that for some is easily solved and for others may never be.

So which are you? A dinosaur who lifts from the top/bottom or a hipster who lifts from the right/left? Or are you a desperado, up on your fence, lifting from whichever side is longest?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Yes, this is all in fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find repeatedly lifting lids with with either of these outmoded techniques can flex the sides of the lid and lead to bowing, warping, and godless communism. For this very reason, I use the L-hand double corner grasp method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prisoner of Conscience
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
I find repeatedly lifting lids with with either of these outmoded techniques can flex the sides of the lid and lead to bowing, warping, and godless communism. For this very reason, I use the L-hand double corner grasp method.

Radical!

The method and you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just hold the lid and vigorously shake the box up and down and the bottom part will fall out in no time. You could do this over a table, but frankly that's overkill - you've got a floor - use it. An additional advantage of this method is that you'll get a nice spread of your components too, which facilitates identifying each single piece in one quick visual scan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prisoner of Conscience
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Just hold the lid and vigorously shake the box up and down and the bottom part will fall out in no time. You could do this over a table, but frankly that's overkill - you've got a floor - use it. An additional advantage of this method is that you'll get a nice spread of your components too, which facilitates identifying each single piece in one quick visual scan.

Solves the need for trays or bags!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

And a good way to distribute the paradropped units in It Never Snows!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely top-right and bottom-left CORNER technique; then when necessary switch to top-left and bottom-right; repeat.

Must be certified first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

And a good way to distribute the paradropped units in It Never Snows!

You're going to laugh, but in one tabletop wargame I played we actually used pieces of paper dropped from a couple of feet above the table to simulate the scattered para-drops in an Arnhem game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The problem is incompetent designers and terrible rulebook editing.

How can it be a complete game if they haven't included rules on how to open the box?

I blame it on KickStarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

solves the need for trays or bags!

Trays ? Bags ? - what newfangled things are those ? If Avalon Hill had intended us to use bags they would have provided them in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game box? What game box? I throw everything into a 2 gallon zip lock bag, unsorted loose counters and all, then throw the bag into a Rubber Maid tote with dozens of other bags. If a game is in a series, the whole series goes into one bag! Then I use a vacuum cleaner to suck all the air out of the bag so the game appears to be freeze-dried until I need to play it.

Box hits the trash the day it comes in the house!

This way I don't have to have a geek auction every couple of years because I'm running out of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb

And whose idea was it to list the contents on the outside of the box? When I pay good money for a game, I don't need spoilers.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy there has been some wonderful, ingenious and imaginative methods described here. They all show a high degree of restraint. Not only do I aggressively rip off the shrink wrap, I also rip right through the front of the game box to access the game. Now, I never throw the box out in the trash. I'm much more responsible than that and put the box in the local recycling system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vimy145 wrote:
Boy there has been some wonderful, ingenious and imaginative methods described here. They all show a high degree of restraint. Not only do I aggressively rip off the shrink wrap, I also rip right through the front of the game box to access the game. Now, I never throw the box out in the trash. I'm much more responsible than that and put the box in the local recycling system.

Often, I just eat the box's top. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Vimy145 wrote:

Often, I just eat the box's top. zombie

An excellent source of roughage. Good thinking, I'm sure a little bit of Frank's Hot Sauce hits the spot too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I find if I compress the top and bottom of the box will pulling up on the left and right side I can create flaps that make it easier to remove the box. As a positive it can now slide left and right.

Also it eliminates the embarrassing box fart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:
I find if I compress the top and bottom of the box will pulling up on the left and right side I can create flaps that make it easier to remove the box. As a positive it can now slide left and right.

Yaquinto did just this, with their famous "Disk/Record" flat boxes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Using a variation on the Five Finger Death Punch, I simply reach through the box top to access the game.
Then I do the same to my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm just a desperado.

often wrote:

Around here those are drawn out, savored, and blamed on the kid. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:

This happens mainly with huge "Monster Game" boxes.

Must mean something... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Yep, that's the way my son opens boxes (22 months).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lloyd
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
World Champs!!....again
badge
Forgot me velcro gloves again...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomcat1304 wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Mine is still doing that at 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Eagles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I toss the entire game box into the air before me, and as it descends I shred the box lid to ribbons with a matched pair of flashing Ginsu knives.

Then I piss on the mess and demand a refund. Usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinetree wrote:
Tomcat1304 wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Mine is still doing that at 5.

So nothing changes, just the boxes get bigger? Hmmm.

Maybe we should name that behaviour "Sterckxing" as Eddy is the first to describe it precisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I can seriously see someone designing a pneumatic box lid lifter which applies equal pressure to all sides at the same time ensuring no damage is caused to box or components.

Corner cutters, Plano boxes, plastic sleeves, pneumatic lid lifter, watch this space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.