Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Roberts
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game! I have played a few times solo and have a hard time generating enough points to beat the Automa. Any tips or tricks? It seems like I am having a hard time getting my machine running in 7 years .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which Tuscany modules are you including?

I tried playing the base game with Automa once, and I got nowhere near 20 points by the end of 7 rounds. I think if you start with at least Mamas & Papas, then your starting position is a little better so you have a better chance to beat the Automa's 20 points. If you add in one or two other Tier 1 Tuscany expansions you may also have a better chance, as it gives you a choice of more things to do too...

I'm sure Morten will have better hints, of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roberts
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help! I have the EE and start with one mama and one papa each. It's pretty tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Molokov wrote:
I'm sure Morten will have better hints, of course

I generally don't comment on strategy for my solo modes. I think that by posting strategy tips I risk taking away some of the joy from a part of the player base and I'd rather that the community is exploring new strategies instead of following mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Molokov wrote:
Which Tuscany modules are you including?

I tried playing the base game with Automa once, and I got nowhere near 20 points by the end of 7 rounds. I think if you start with at least Mamas & Papas, then your starting position is a little better so you have a better chance to beat the Automa's 20 points. If you add in one or two other Tier 1 Tuscany expansions you may also have a better chance, as it gives you a choice of more things to do too...

Yes, the solo mode is intended for use with at least one of the expansion modules or using the rules we backported to the base game, which also helps you a bit. If you just play with normal base game it'll be too hard for the vast majority of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roberts
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Morten. I have the essentials edition only.

Are you saying it would be easier if I also got the Tuscany expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrdisco102 wrote:
Thanks Morten. I have the essentials edition only.

Are you saying it would be easier if I also got the Tuscany expansion?

No. What I was trying to say that if you play with just the old base game (1st or 2nd edition that came before Essential), then you shouldn't play with the Tuscany solo rules, since that will be very hard.

The Essential Edition solo mode has five difficulty levels and I suggest that you start with the easiest one and work your way upwards as you get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrdisco102 wrote:
Any tips or tricks? It seems like I am having a hard time getting my machine running in 7 years .

Ok I'll bite,

I almost always win and have played about 25+ games so I'll give you a couple of beginners tips. Although I will say that the charm of Mortens Automa is that it teaches you many strategies and figuring them all out is half the fun.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Ok first as Morten said make sure you're not activating any sections of the card with T's or you will loose

Tip 1. Workers
Buy your 4th worker in the first round you'll need it, keep the grande for it. But you won't need more than 5 (unless you have a really good strategy)

Tip 2. Visitors
Visitors are one of the best ways to get VPs and save actions so try to get your Cottage in the 1st round or 2nd round at the latest. Also mostly pick summer visitors for the first 3-4 rounds and then winter in the last 2

Tip 3. Bonus tokens
Use your tokens efficiently don't use them for an extra 1 buck. The best use of tokens is to double play visitors in Summer and Winter. see you if you can get good combos on double plays

Tip. 4. Vines
Try to double plant on fields for instance 3 white and 3 red on your six field. This way when you Harvest you will get 2 grape tokens rather than just 1.

Tip. 5. Wine Orders
Blush and Sparkly are are easier to make and thus more desirable.

Tip.6. Strategy
Try to pick your wine orders (by 4ht round) early so you have something to work towards about 3 or 4 you know you can do. Also some visitors are worth holding on til late game.

That should be enough.

Try this next time you play (if you can)

Summer
1. Sell field
2. Buy cottage

Winter
3. Buy worker

Then see how you go

Sorry Morten

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way Morten you wouldn't happen to have an Automa Fan badge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:

No, that idea had actually never occurred to me, but I like it . I'll see if I can make something that works (I have zero skill with that kind of thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roberts
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Mick_whyte wrote:

No, that idea had actually never occurred to me, but I like it . I'll see if I can make something that works (I have zero skill with that kind of thing).

Yeah well I'd buy the badge. I just find the Automa completely different to a normal beat your own score solo variant that you get with some worker placements. I also find that with games with many path ways to victory you really need to play a lot to understand strategy and the Automa is perfect for that. I'm trying to create one for Trickerion at the moment so I can better explore the many paths to victory in this thematic Euro.
Have you done any other solo work apart from Sycthe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:

Have you done any other solo work apart from Sycthe?

I've created the solo mode for Between Two Cities and have a solo mode for Euphoria on the back burner.

Apart from that I've made a small free PnP solo game, Endless Nightmare, and I run a blog about solo gaming: Thematic Solitaires for the Spare Time Challenged.

Happy new year .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hughes
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job with the Automa variant. My copy of EE arrived yesterday (late xmas present ) and I thought I'd give it a quick spin. Suddenly I'd played 5 times and where did my evening go?

Hopped straight into Normal difficulty (as a self-diagnosed 'experienced gamer') and found it very well tuned. 1 win, 1 draw and 2 losses with some truly tense final rounds not knowing where the Automa workers would go. Then tried the first round of the campaign and took the win (with triple Pinot because I'm starting to think it's the best vine)

Much love for your work on this. It works brilliantly in this game because it flows so quickly without the decisions feeling trivial or boring, in moderate contrast to Glass Road / Robinson Crusoe / Mage Knight (the other solo games I've enjoyed) where most turns are a slog.

edit: oh, I'd better actually answer the OP I took a pretty consistent approach of getting to 4-5 workers ASAP before getting a good stock of grapes and wines rolling. Then hoping I can fill ~3 big orders in the last couple of years. The bonus action tokens are super valuable, and it seems to me the 'doubler' bonuses (play visitors, draw cards, plant vines, harvest fields) should take the bulk of your tokens, with any you have left being used to milk extra VP out of the Fill Order space near the end. I'm sure this is only one of several viable ways to go (and I'm still a newbie)

Mamas & Papas and the ability to sell your fields (which I used in most games) will really help you out.

Also I don't think you need to worry about planning ahead with regards to taking the wake-up bonuses; they'll become worth proportionally less as the game goes on so just take the bonus you'd most like to have immediately. The only exception is the neutral worker which you might like to save until you're ready to kick your engine into gear, which can necessitate a little boost in your available actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2dTones wrote:
Great job with the Automa variant. My copy of EE arrived yesterday (late xmas present ) and I thought I'd give it a quick spin. Suddenly I'd played 5 times and where did my evening go?

Hopped straight into Normal difficulty (as a self-diagnosed 'experienced gamer') and found it very well tuned. 1 win, 1 draw and 2 losses with some truly tense final rounds not knowing where the Automa workers would go. Then tried the first round of the campaign and took the win (with triple Pinot because I'm starting to think it's the best vine)

Much love for your work on this. It works brilliantly in this game because it flows so quickly without the decisions feeling trivial or boring, in moderate contrast to Glass Road / Robinson Crusoe / Mage Knight (the other solo games I've enjoyed) where most turns are a slog.

edit: oh, I'd better actually answer the OP I took a pretty consistent approach of getting to 4-5 workers ASAP before getting a good stock of grapes and wines rolling. Then hoping I can fill ~3 big orders in the last couple of years. The bonus action tokens are super valuable, and it seems to me the 'doubler' bonuses (play visitors, draw cards, plant vines, harvest fields) should take the bulk of your tokens, with any you have left being used to milk extra VP out of the Fill Order space near the end. I'm sure this is only one of several viable ways to go (and I'm still a newbie)

Mamas & Papas and the ability to sell your fields (which I used in most games) will really help you out.

Also I don't think you need to worry about planning ahead with regards to taking the wake-up bonuses; they'll become worth proportionally less as the game goes on so just take the bonus you'd most like to have immediately. The only exception is the neutral worker which you might like to save until you're ready to kick your engine into gear, which can necessitate a little boost in your available actions.

Thank you for your kind words - I'm happy that you like the game.

Also thank you for the strategy tips. It's interesting for me to see how others play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
msg tools
badge
mb
mortenmdk wrote:
I've created the solo mode for Between Two Cities and have a solo mode for Euphoria on the back burner.

I would love a Euphoria solo!!! How back burner are we talking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eisenhorn0223 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

I would love a Euphoria solo!!! How back burner are we talking?

I'm unsure right now. Maybe I'll know more next week, since we'll likely soon be making some decisions on the direction of the Euohoria expansion we're working on. I did work a wee bit on the Automa last week, which was likely the first time I've done that in half a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.