Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking to get back into Eldritch Horror after a fairly long hiatus and was wondering how people like to play with the expansions. Do you like to mash them all together? Can this even be done? Or, do people like to play with the base and one expansion at a time?

I like the idea of the game expanding, but I am not sure what is best from a playable standpoint. Too many expansions at once might water down the experience of the expansion itself, but I suspect clean up and organization would be a pain in constantly moving expansions in and out of the mix.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to keep all of my expansions mashed up. Too much effort separating them for me to even consider it.

I find that the unique flavour of each scenario is transferred well through the scenario-specific clues/mysteries/GOO effects. Expansions do nothing to water that down in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
All cards from the big and small expansions are in the decks.

Depending on the drawn Prelude Card and/or the selected Baddie, there is a sideboard set up or not.

This method has two small inconveniences:
-> You have to discard a sideboard gate when that specific sideboard is not in play and draw another one.
-> You have to discard a clue pointing to a sideboard that is not in play and draw another one.

The rest works fine. No, great! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I separate the clue tokens and gates but i mash up all the cards. i'll add as necessary depending on the prelude card drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
I separate the clue tokens and gates but i mash up all the cards. i'll add as necessary depending on the prelude card drawn.

This is what I do as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan, Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
reemer wrote:

This is what I do as well.

Ditto this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the game much better with all the expansions mashed in. Frankly, the base game was getting a bit repetitive regarding encounter variety. The expansions add difficulty and create more diverse situations, which I like. And the fatter asset deck forces you to experiment with different strategies instead of waiting for "agency quarantine" or whatever each game.

Some components, like sideboards and adventures, enter play only with their corresponding prelude or AO. Technically this also applies to clues and gates for the sideboard, but separating them is a hassle, we just redraw when one of those comes up in a game where it shouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only remove the gates that won't be used and that's just because they are so easy to sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I think I will add an expansion, play a few games and add the next one and so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
reemer wrote:

I keep the clues, as well. I've got a little pile set aside for sideboard clues; whenever I draw one, it goes into the pile and used for clues gained outside of research encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.