Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking the Generals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting ready to play DoTR over the holidays and so I'm reviewing the rules.

I'm a bit confused on attacking the Generals regarding everyone pooling their cards. Let's say there were five cards everyone had to attack the Red General - if say two of those cards have 2 dice on them then they would EACH roll 7 dice when it is their turn to attack? So, first player rolls seven dice, wounds the General twice and the next player also rolls seven dice?

Just want to make sure the attacks on the Big Bad Guys are done right.

Thanks in advance - we are all super excited to defend the realm!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strom40 wrote:
Getting ready to play DoTR over the holidays and so I'm reviewing the rules.

I'm a bit confused on attacking the Generals regarding everyone pooling their cards. Let's say there were five cards everyone had to attack the Red General - if say two of those cards have 2 dice on them then they would EACH roll 7 dice when it is their turn to attack? So, first player rolls seven dice, wounds the General twice and the next player also rolls seven dice?

Just want to make sure the attacks on the Big Bad Guys are done right.

Thanks in advance - we are all super excited to defend the realm!


Everyone at the general's location may attack when the active player spends an action to start the battle. Before rolling any dice, each player puts forward all the cards they will use this battle (which will determine the number of dice they will roll). These cards are not combined, everyone keeps their own pile.

The active player determines the order that the players will attack in. Each player rolls the number of dice as determined by the cards they personally contributed (so in most cases, each player will roll a different amount). After the battle, all the cards put forward are discarded, even if the general dies early and some players never got a chance to attack.

If the battle is successful, every player involved (even those that didn't get a chance to roll) will get three hero cards as a reward. If the battle was unsuccessful, then everyone takes the penalty as indicated on the general's card (if a penalty includes a die roll, each player rolls individually).
12 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
South Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards get used to give a cumulative attack. You don't each have an attack like that, it is basically one attack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohner68 wrote:
The cards get used to give a cumulative attack. You don't each have an attack like that, it is basically one attack.

If you're disagreeing with DoomTurtle, you're mistaken. It works exactly as he described it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks DoomTurtle - makes sense. So the gathering of cards together is really just a "setup" for the attack. That's what kind of confused me but your answer really helped clear this up. Thanks!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Doomturtle. You are correct, and very helpful as always.

Good luck defending the realm, and to all Happy Holidays.

Richard

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Bohner68 wrote:
The cards get used to give a cumulative attack. You don't each have an attack like that, it is basically one attack.

If you're disagreeing with DoomTurtle, you're mistaken. It works exactly as he described it.


Given the timestamps on Bohner68's reply, it looks more like they replied without seeing DoomTurtle's reply.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeantilles1971 wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Bohner68 wrote:
The cards get used to give a cumulative attack. You don't each have an attack like that, it is basically one attack.

If you're disagreeing with DoomTurtle, you're mistaken. It works exactly as he described it.


Given the timestamps on Bohner68's reply, it looks more like they replied without seeing DoomTurtle's reply.

Why do you suppose I prefaced my statement with the 'if' phrase? It wasn't (and isn't) clear to me which post Bohner68 was responding to, but either way I wanted to affirm DoomTurtle's answer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.