W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Chris Kovac visited the 67th Toronto Toy and Hobby Fair, and I've posted his report on Boardgame News, including a picture of the Talisman mock-up on display. The picture won't tell you much about changes to the game, so add speculations of your own!

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... Looking at that mockup, I was wistfully transported page to Age 12 for a few moments... Can't wait for this to come out!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why are we talking about TALISMAN? Did you see KIPPIT? Or BUCKET BRIGADE?

I really hope they use that box design, gold foil printing and all...it looks _great_, very retro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NICE!!

now my first edition value just plummeted

anyone wanna trade for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I think a key to success in reprinting such a game is to not make it look like it came out of the 1980s. This mockup worries me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks startlingly like my 1st/2nd editions. Guess I'll have no need to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Claycomb
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:

would you rather it look like third edition? i personally am glad that it is back to the hand drawn look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they are just trying to get people that already played Talisman to play with the "retro" feel, not trying to get new customers. Hype only takes you so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Syco54645 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

would you rather it look like third edition? i personally am glad that it is back to the hand drawn look.

Hand drawn look is great.

But someone needs to redraw that. And little cards on plastic bases? God I hope thats just a side effect of being a prototype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless, I'm waiting for it with bated breath. I love the game and will happily play it despite its many guises, particularly if they manage to capture its original, intended spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They made the board look more like a map and less like a landscape. I don't think that's an improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
kennylibido wrote:
Regardless, I'm waiting for it with bated breath. I love the game and will happily play it despite its many guises, particularly if they manage to capture its original, intended spirit.

Oh I'm buying it. It was a given the second it was announced.

However, future expansions hinge on its financial success. I see decisions being made that could undermine that. You can't build successful sales entirely on retro kitsch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

Oh I'm buying it. It was a given the second it was announced.

Damn straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crackedlcd81 wrote:

I really hope they use that box design, gold foil printing and all...it looks _great_, very retro.

Didn't look like there were very many skulls though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or does it look like the Prophetess is making a comeback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to it but I'm hoping the quick play rules are good. Though I always liked 2nd edition it just took too long to play and I could never get anyone interested in it. But a quick play ruleset would certainly help.

I am disappointed that there's no minis. Instead we got the old standees again. Since they were planning a big revamp of the components I'm surprised they don't have plastic minis included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great-except for the cardboard player pieces. WTF!?! Got to hope thats just a sucky prototype.

I'll not be getting it unless it comes with cool minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually surprised no minis since all their major competitors are doing it. Heck even Cave Troll which is a less then $30 game has a ton of custom figures and lots of them to boot!

I suppose its possible they are going to have them but didn't have any sculpts to show off yet.

Didn't 3rd edition come with plastic figures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Christian
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, games that come with minis are severly devalued if a mini is broken or lost, so I'd rather it come with the old cardboard counters/markers. Besides, it's not like you can't use mini's from other games like Mage Knight, Hero Scape, or DnD Minis.

Personally, cardboard may wear over time, but that just adds character to the game.

Can't wait for this to hit the streets. I'm gonna buy two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Didn't 3rd edition come with plastic figures?

Yes, and I think they detract from the appearance of the game unless you paint them. So if GW goes with color standups it may be because they think not many people will bother to paint the figures to a board game.

Maybe they'll do what they did with second edition: ship the game with color standups and then sell miniatures separately. Makes sense to me: the base game is cheaper and easily playable, the minis fans can buy the figs, paint them, and have their own preferred experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I don't need minis. But I would like to see something better than playing cards in cheesy plastic stands. Like the kind of heavy paperboard used in most modern games (see Arkham Horror pawns)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor EvilMonkey
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Cardstock playing pieces capture the retro feel perfectly, plus it makes financial sense too (people will spend more on the game + seperate miniatures than they would be prepared to pay for a game with miniatures). Hopefully they will have struck a good balance between 2nd edition retro cheese, 3rd edition playing aids, and all new streamlining.
As for the guy who thought that a re-release will cause the value of his 1st edition to fall, experience has shown that the opposite is true for 'classics'. Insane hoarders and completist collectors who stumble upon 4th edition, will be on eBay within hours looking to buy up every previous incarnation.
My only real concern will be the retail price, as most GW games are £50 UK rrp (compared to a FFG big box game at £35)...

Will be interesting to see how many people will be buying 2 copies (one as a future eBay investment)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I beleive one of the things that was so great about 2e was that there were so many characters- especially with the expansions. You could barely shuffle the character deck.

Included miniatures, once the novelty wears off, means fewer characters.

And, as I recall, Citadel released a series of Talisman minis for the 2e characters at the height of 2e's popularity. I'd rather see a wealth of characters (bring back the troll!) and separate minis for those who want them instead of a paucity of characters, which I think would lessen the replayability of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.