Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played with a full 6 players. We started early so we would actually finish the game before 11pm. I was Barathians (I'm gonna make house spelling errors all day)...but basically the Greyjoys all but wiped out the Lanisters...and then the Lanisters essentially did nothing but troll me for the rest of the game at the request of the Rose people whom I can't remember the name...anyway. I had been doing tons of work to stay alive while still holding my strongholds, and then on the 10th turn, The Starks hit me from the north eastern sea, the Greyjoys hit me from the north west, the Rose people hit me from the South West, and the Terrells hit me from the South east.

I went from 5 castles down to 3 on the final turn, thus erasing 5 hours of game play and just bumming me out. I didn't feel like I accomplished anything. I have Twilight Imperium...If I lose, I lose with a story to tell, and I'm not bummed out for playing 8 hours of board game and losing. In GOT, I just felt like I lost and didn't accomplish anything. Oh, and the Greyjoys won on a tiebreaker....so yeah...that's where I am at on this game.

I wish I liked it more, but now anytime someone wants to play it I just get overwhelmed at the thought of investing so much time into a game only to not get any payoff or feeling of accomplishment.

Thanks for reading and joining in on the discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you tried the dance with dragons pack?..i feel it shortens the game some but not sure thats your main criticism...maybe this game just isnt for you?...do you like any other kinds of cloack and dagger games?..i will say in twilight imp you can get beaten down too but its almost impossible to remove your victory points but you could loose your home world and it doesnt matter how many points you have..

Else try the 4-player version i think you get to keep your points in that one?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very typical in 6p RAW, GJ wins and Lanni gets practically eliminated, happens over and over and over. Try the T6 Rules or the S-T6 Rules, much better game.

AGoT is not for everyone though, we happen to like it a lot though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what it is you want to discuss. You are obviously a bit upset because of your loss.

I would advise you to go read the books first and then come back to play the game. Makes it much more fun and helps with your spelling as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think the matter of losing VP wouldn't be so bad if the time was shorter. Some games like Alien Frontiers you can lose VP, but the game last an hour-hour and a half, so it minimizes the suffering. We have the expansion. I wanted to play it but was outvoted 5-1. I have like 70 games (not all are listed in my collection) so cloak and dagger, I'm familiar with. I like it too. I just prefer games that allow me to have fun throughout the game. This one was just stressful. I'm mostly just venting on here because people will read. GOT isn't, mechanically a bad game. I just don't think it's for me. The Lanisters got it the worst though. They were destroyed down to a couple units by turn 5 and had to just sit with no hope for 2.5 hours while we played.

Also here is a really fun House rule we made that was my favorite part of the night:

Messenger Ravens: Give everyone a pen and 5 post it notes. Throughout the game, you can tell secrets to people by post it note...no whispering to your neighbors. Essentially you have 5 ravens you can send out with messages to whomever you would like...wanna plan an attack? How about create an alliance? What if someone is being forced to make a decision and you want to get them to see it your way but don't want anyone to hear? Or maybe you just want to tell someone you hate them. Expend a note and pass it over.

One of my notes said: "Ok, I need you to look at me...then look at Matt...then look back at me and nod in agreement with a little smirk on your face."

Anyway, it's a really fun house rule that adds to the theme...easily my silver lining of the night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you were a victim of other people's alliances to me. Do you usually win more games than everyone else? Is there any reason that you know of that would cause everyone to pick on you in particular? Do you get ganged up on often? How good are your negotiation/alliance making skills? These are the questions I would ask myself if I found myself in your situation. Hopefully you can play again and have a more enjoyable experience next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
It sounds like you were a victim of other people's alliances to me. Do you usually win more games than everyone else? Is there any reason that you know of that would cause everyone to pick on you in particular? Do you get ganged up on often? How good are your negotiation/alliance making skills? These are the questions I would ask myself if I found myself in your situation. Hopefully you can play again and have a more enjoyable experience next time.

I'm glad you asked. I work in sales...outbound phone sales...I've had to learn negotiation and how to make friends. I also happened to be in the lead on the final turn, by one castle. I understand that I was going to get targeted...just not attacked by everyone in the group...and here is the big one...I own 70 games. None of my friends played board games before they met me. I introduced them all the Cosmic Encounter first, and the rest is history. Being that I'm "The Game Guy" in the group, I tend to not win a lot of games. I think people feel they need to make sure I don't get too far ahead. This creates opportunity for the other players to set themselves up for victory while the attention is on what I'm doing. And also, sometimes I make stupid mistakes and they can cost me the game....but anyone who is normally the game provider of the group knows, people like to beat you above all others at the table because it makes you feel cooler :-)

Shoot, I have a group I play with on Saturdays and i'm in the "newbie position" a lot. There is that one guy in the group that I love beating because it's normally his game we are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe you should play subterfuge?...i am no expert on agot by any means(only played 3 times)but i kind of feel the game could use some currency..i like the game(especially the dance with dragons)but there is just no reason to not kick someone when they are down or to honor an agreement..it really is survival of the fittest this game..have you tried that card combat rule?..the one that makes combat more random?..else try keeping your head down a bit while you slowly move your troops in position..use the same plans as you would in ti3...deflect their agressions to other players..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
use the same plans as you would in ti3...deflect their agressions to other players..

Oh I did this a couple times. It just didn't last. It was essentially a Beat down on Brandon Fest at the end of the game. And once one person get's beat down as bad as the Lanisters did, he had nothing to lose so he trolled...aka alternate victory conditions.

I haven't heard about the other card combat rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its called tdes of battle i think?..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt matt
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you sat on 5 castles for a few turns? There is no suprise that they attacked you, you stuck your head out and they cut it off.

Players that take leads gets punished, its better to remain the underdog and than take 3 castles in 1 big surprise attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
late for dinner wrote:
...but basically the Greyjoys all but wiped out the Lanisters...and then the Lanisters essentially did nothing but troll me for the rest of the game at the request of the Rose people whom I can't remember the name...anyway.

This is the player who should be complaining - wiped out.
What happened to martells - the SE people?

I wonder if lannister-greyjoy could ally and crush Baratheon while supporting each other in the middle.

late for dinner wrote:
I had been doing tons of work to stay alive while still holding my strongholds, and then on the 10th turn, The Starks hit me from the north eastern sea, the Greyjoys hit me from the north west, the Rose people hit me from the South West, and the Terrells hit me from the South east.

You are adjacent to each of them, what did you expect? Tyrels can't attack stark. Greyjoys navy can be overwhelmed by a tyrels-starks coalition.

BTW you should have won or lost before that, it's hard to hold baratheon territory for long as you saw.

late for dinner wrote:
I went from 5 castles down to 3 on the final turn, thus erasing 5 hours of game play and just bumming me out. I didn't feel like I accomplished anything. I have Twilight Imperium...If I lose, I lose with a story to tell, and I'm not bummed out for playing 8 hours of board game and losing. In GOT, I just felt like I lost and didn't accomplish anything. Oh, and the Greyjoys won on a tiebreaker....so yeah...that's where I am at on this game.

You didn't plan ahead enough to win and had several fronts to be attacked from, it's easy to be crushed when you are in the way.
It sounds to me you were playing as if it was an engine building game.

late for dinner wrote:
I wish I liked it more, but now anytime someone wants to play it I just get overwhelmed at the thought of investing so much time into a game only to not get any payoff or feeling of accomplishment.

Stab someone in the back.
In GoT either you win or you die, only the winner tully accomplish something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, it does just sound like bad luck on your alliance fronting. Game of Thrones is a hard world to survive in - You need to know when to do things and when not to. When to react and when to stay silent and you need most importantly of all the be able to read and guess people.

Watching the show and reading the books will give you plenty of tips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like this isn't the game for you... I've lost many times and won. Every game is well worth the time I've invested.

It's currently our most played game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.