Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting into X-Wing but I would like to avoid buying a core set by purchasing individual components on eBay.

What components from the core set do I have to purchase to be able to play? I need the proper wording / nomenclature for each component so I can search eBay. Things I know of are the dice and range rulers. But I don't know what the damage deck is formally called. Or if there are any other co polenta I need.

Also, can I get away with buying just the scum and villainy ships or say just the dark side ships without being at too much of a disadvantage? One of the reasons I am considering into the game is that I have heard almost any field of ships has a good chance.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want to avoid a core set? Both the original and the new Force Awakens core sets have everything to need to play, have some pretty good pilots, three ships, and both are going for cheap right now. $25 or less and are easy to find. Do you really want to search ebay for a damage deck, maneuver templates, asteroids, rule book etc.? No offense but that makes little sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the damage deck is the only things you need that you can't get elsewhere.

The rules are downloadable, you can make your own obstacle counters, you can buy the dice and third-party maneuver and range templates separately, and ships will come with the counters they need.

You're missing out on a bargain, though. You can probably make money by buying a core and selling the ships to other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is, just buy the starter to get the required components.

Here's the long answer...

Required components from the starter pack:
Attack dice
Defense dice
Debris / asteroid markers
Damage deck
Range ruler
Movement templates

You should be able to get enough of the following to play with from expansion packs:
Stress tokens
Focus tokens
Evade tokens
Target lock tokens

Components you will be missing by not purchasing starter set:
Imperial pilots exclusive to the starter
Upgrades exclusive to the starter
Two baseline TIEs for the same price as the blister pack

You can totally get away with buying just Empire and Scum ships otherwise. I prefer playing the Rebellion, but I know quite a few people that exclusively play Empire.

Half of the fun of the game (for me at least) is the experimentation. I love coming up with new squadrons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like I should just get the core!

But I'll be splitting it. So I need to source the things you guys have helped mention here on eBay still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to add to what
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
said above. You can get many of the components aftermarket, but will pay more for the "premium" pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core sets are so reasonably priced I don't think you could save money by going piecemeal.

You csn collect just one faction, one of my griends does, but most people end up collecting it all just for the fun of flying different ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:

But I'll be splitting it. So I need to source the things you guys have helped mention here on eBay still.

Do you have a local X-Wing group? You may wish to check. Many group members have extras that they're willing to part with for a song. Anyone that does organized play will have extra damage decks at the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
The core sets are so reasonably priced I don't think you could save money by going piecemeal.

You csn collect just one faction, one of my griends does, but most people end up collecting it all just for the fun of flying different ships.

Don't forget the variety of upgrades...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:

Well, ok, since you're splitting it with someone....

But how about save just a few more $ each and you buy one core, your partner the other. That way you both have a set of dice, maneuver templates, a rule book etc. Like I said they're both cheap and they're plentiful right now (thanks to the new movie) at places like Walmart, Target etc.

Bottom line though, is have a good time. It's a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to pick up a Raider.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Happy Holidays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Berrett
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are almost better getting the core, as you need almost everything but the Rebel ship and pilot cards, including:
- Damage Deck
- Upgrade cards
- Range Ruler
- Maneuvers Templates
- All the Token (ID, Focus, Evade, Stress, Target Lock, Critical Hit, etc.)
- Dice
- Asteroids Tokens
- Rule Book

Optional
- Empire Ships with Token, Base, Stand, Model, Maneuver Dial and Pilot cards (Both the X-Wing and Tie Expansion has different pilots than the Core Set)
- Mission Tokens for Tracking Tokens, Shuttle Token, Satellite Tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Go get a loan and just buy everything...

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:

Splitting up a core probably won't help, unless the other person doesn't need key items:
Damage deck
Asteroids
Movement templates

I just looked on eBay, and in the US you can get these components fairly cheap, but still not even close to the value of a core set when you also count ships. You could easily trade off the core x-wing and tie fighters for a large scum ship, or maybe 2 small ones. Trading ships happens frequently enough in my area that I wouldn't think it would be hard to do. Certainly you could sell the ships on eBay with the proper components.

You can find all that stuff on eBay, but if you really want to get into this game on the cheap then find a small collection on eBay with what you'd like to play, and purchase that. Sell or trade off the stuff you don't want.

Keep in mind that you're best starting bet on scum is going to be the "most wanted" set, which includes 3 ships, but also has cards and bases for a Hawk and Slave 1. Those 5 total ships would be an excellent starting point. Then I'd use a list builder like:
http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

A list builder will show you what comes in what expansion (upgrades, etc), and allow you to more easily build out the list you really want to fly. You can always pick up things individually if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can start playing X-Wing competitively without an extravagant cost. Really a Core Set and a Falcon is enough to enjoy 100pt games with a list that's not horrible. Then you just need some sleeves and a cheap carrying tray.

The thing is, the Core Set is just not really a place where you can skimp. You need those tokens, the damage deck, the range rulers and templates, etc. Core Set is the most basic item, and it's probably the minimum purchase requirement for each individual player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.