Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the best way to limit alpha players in Forbidden Dessert?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found alpha to be much less of a problem in this game than in Pandemic or Forbidden Island, as there is much more variability.

But if you must, consider a traitor variant. It's harder for a leader to convince others to do things when he might actually but be part of the team at all, but working to make sure no one escapes with the desert's secrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be honest and tell them to chill out for everyone else's sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
Be honest and tell them to chill out for everyone else's sake.

Exactly. It is not a game problem it is a player problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really a good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am asking because Alpha gamers are not always bad people. Sometimes it just comes naturally and they honestly do not mean to do it. they are trying to be helpful.

Just seeing if there is a way to limit it that is all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
I am asking because Alpha gamers are not always bad people. Sometimes it just comes naturally and they honestly do not mean to do it. they are trying to be helpful.

You could force everyone to give and opinion or hide your equipment cards, but unless your alpha gamer is self-aware and willing to change, the difficult but truthful answer is that a co-op game is just not their thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
shallowz wrote:
What is the best way to limit alpha players in Forbidden Dessert?

Define "Alpha Gamer"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:

An approach I have heard people use with other co-ops (such as Pandemic) is to get everyone to agree to the house rule: You cannot give advice unless asked.

A stricter version is: You can't talk about the game unless it's your turn, or to answer a question from the player whose turn it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
peakhope wrote:
shallowz wrote:

An approach I have heard people use with other co-ops (such as Pandemic) is to get everyone to agree to the house rule: You cannot give advice unless asked.

A stricter version is: You can't talk about the game unless it's your turn, or to answer a question from the player whose turn it is.

I like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
We use drugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheehan
msg tools
peakhope wrote:
shallowz wrote:

If a gaming group is at the point where they need to make extreme rules such as these in order to deal with alpha gamers, then maybe that's a sign that their group just isn't cut out for co-op games. Without open communication, it becomes extremely difficult to formulate strategies and coordinate your actions with other players, which is particularly important when gathering everyone together on a water tile or on the launch pad to win the game. What's the point in playing a co-op game if you're putting limits on everyone's ability to cooperate? It's just a shame that a whole group has to be stifled just to limit a single overbearing alpha gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.