Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I played the print and play edition of the new Kickstarter version of Trainmaker. I liked the idea of building trains car by car. The graphics are pretty cool also.

This game has a lot of dice rolling. You are trying to build a train to satisfy one of the station card requirements. You use the station cards to meet a victory objective on a contract card. Trainmaker plays quickly and is a nice family game.

I was a bit confused that there are 40 station cards and 12 of those cards are called 'stations'. Other station cards are called depots, terminals, etc. Maybe the name of the 40 cards could be called 'stops' to avoid confusion.

Also there is no way to get rid of station cards no one can use. In the photo, neither player needs the corn of Topeka or the cattle of Abilene but there is no way to move these stations out of the way. The Topeka card would give the bonus of a corn railroad card but the Abilene card has no special ability.

I like the idea of building a train car by car but it is short lived as the train goes away at the end of your turn and you start again building a new train the next turn.

I like the core of this game. I'd love to see some way of saving the train you are building from turn to turn. I'd also like a shot at making some contract cards myself. But all in all, it is a fun like dice rolling game with a great train theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!

Keep in mind that another way to win is to collect all six types of station cards, so often even those cards that would be useless for contracts are worth grabbing for yourself, or to keep out of the hands of other players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.