Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » General

Subject: Is this awesome out of the box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in this game, but I'm wondering if it's great without expansions. (Yes, I know none are released yet, but this is an FFG product, so you've got to assume they're coming.) The reason I ask is, with the current unknown state of FFG's licensing/pricing model thanks to the changes brought about by Asmodee, I don't want to get into a "system" that's going to leave me screwed over if/when online buying of FFG products becomes impossible and my LGS sucks.

So, is there anything about this game that requires expansions to be great? I sit missing anything? Like when Eldritch Horror came out, it really needed Forsaken Lore to bring it up to "great." Or Imperial Assault left out the great characters and made you buy them all separately? Or is this the rare FFG product that feels complete out of the box?

Thanks for any input!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is, in my opinion, a very complete game right out of the box. I am not left feeling like I do with some other FFG games. While this game seems ripe for expansions due to the lore of the setting, I don't feel like I'm missing anything in terms of gameplay, and there is a great deal of replayability within the base game.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't share your complaint about many FFG games being "incomplete", so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I think Forbidden Stars is a great game right out of the box. I expect expansions to come. There are just so many factions in WH40K to use, it's inevitable if the game sells. But this is a complete game. It doesn't need anything else to be a worthwhile experience.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


It's a great game right out of the box. The rules are relatively simple but at first it seems like there is a lot to remember. Stick with it and it all makes sense and is pretty intuitive.

Some people are bothered a lot by supposed down-time and game length. Well, the game really picks up steam as everyone gets used to it (like pretty much every game) and the downtime during combat resolution isn't that bad. At first, when players are learning the ropes, the combat can take a little longer. But as players get the idea it goes a lot faster. Yes, like every game where one has to learn which card is best to play at any given time, this game also has that learning curve. But it's just not that bad...rather, it's great! I just love the options that the combat cards bring to the battles. Much better than roll, die and or retreat, move on.

I like expansions but this game doesn't need any. Now, that being said, someone who is really into the 40K universe might want to see more stuff but as someone who doesn't know much more than what I learned from Space Hulk I feel like this is 100% complete.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is great "right out of the box!" (no HR's needed either)...I would like to see more expansions though, sooner (much sooner), rather than later, or I may lose interest as my group tends to play games with 6 players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a fantastic game as-is. It is a dynamic interesting, challenging game with a lot of room for strategic growth and counter-play meta developing between you and your fellow players. If they never release expansions I will still be perfectly happy with it! this is my favorite area-control game on the market.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I flip flop on whether I liked this more than Blood Rage or not. One of the best games this year, easily.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep and highly replayable as-is. I think it would stand up to hundreds of hours of play. By that I mean it would stand up to at least 10 plays.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick answer: yes. :D
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Deep and highly replayable as-is. I think it would stand up to hundreds of hours of play. By that I mean it would stand up to at least 10 plays.


I agree, though it may not have seemed so, 4p FS is outstanding, we just generally have 5+ players so we need an expansion for our group so we can have more players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Deep and highly replayable as-is. I think it would stand up to hundreds of hours of play. By that I mean it would stand up to at least 10 plays.


I am with you on this. Great game mechanics but, especially combat, takes too long leaving other players with enough time to go out for a meal in between.

This game beat us down each time we played it. What? you might ask. How is that so? It is not a co-op game? By beating us down I mean it wore us down. After hours and hours we simply decided to pack it in.

Played with 4-5 different groups of people and each time we did not finish to the end.

It is a very long game and it "feels" long too. Dominant Species is a long game, but it never feels that long, if that makes sense.

I recommend it if you are in for marathon games but if not you should pass.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not my normal sort of game, but it's definitely complete out of the box and you'll easily many plays of it without any expansions, whether they come into existence or not.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmbmb
This games is fantastic as is. Any expansion will likely be More factions but the four of included are wonderful and very different to play. One of my top games of the year for sure.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only is it awesome out of the box, but I actually don't even really see any room for natural expansion. They'll have to add more mechanics to expand, as IMO they've pretty much exhausted the current system.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
if there will be any expansion that it shoyld be new cards. I want more variety for each faction combat card and order card decks.
Game doesnt need any new factions. They would lack any role. Right now you have a perfecr ballance : brute stenght, high def and morale, mobility and naval superiority , trickery . Chaos already forced to be a middle ground between marines and orks. I fail to imagine 5-6th original faction which would not be a minor tweak to another one.

While card variety is lacking. 3rd and 2nd lvls leave you very little choice compared to 0 lvl. 1-2 useful orders that you will buy and rest is luxury. I want at least 3 cards per command level.

That way game would be expanded but without too much change.

New units? Units are just dices and healt pool. There is no need to add new units as you have all you need. Titans already see light of gaben once in 5 games. hell even 2nd command units join the fight at last 2-3 rounds.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
Not only is it awesome out of the box, but I actually don't even really see any room for natural expansion. They'll have to add more mechanics to expand, as IMO they've pretty much exhausted the current system.


There's plenty room for expansion. On the races alone there is much content that could be added.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Djordje Milovancev
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, its awesome enough that i play it with my group 2-3 times a week, every week, since the game came out and we are STILL very much hyped about it and cant get enough of it. Imho its got all you could ask for, but we all ask for MORE, because thats how much we like it
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyrtt wrote:
if there will be any expansion that it shoyld be new cards. I want more variety for each faction combat card and order card decks.
Game doesnt need any new factions. They would lack any role. Right now you have a perfecr ballance : brute stenght, high def and morale, mobility and naval superiority , trickery . Chaos already forced to be a middle ground between marines and orks. I fail to imagine 5-6th original faction which would not be a minor tweak to another one.

While card variety is lacking. 3rd and 2nd lvls leave you very little choice compared to 0 lvl. 1-2 useful orders that you will buy and rest is luxury. I want at least 3 cards per command level.

That way game would be expanded but without too much change.

New units? Units are just dices and healt pool. There is no need to add new units as you have all you need. Titans already see light of gaben once in 5 games. hell even 2nd command units join the fight at last 2-3 rounds.


I agree with you except for the part about the new factions. I agree that the 4 in the box are drastically different but having factions that fill the spaces between the others would be very welcome. You say that chaos fills in between Orks and marines? well I could see Tau as being between Marines and Eldar or Tyranids being between Eldar and Orks. Two more races right there would round out the choices a little, but there's a wealth of material to pull from in the 40k universe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Boscaro
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
I don't share your complaint about many FFG games being "incomplete", so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I think Forbidden Stars is a great game right out of the box. I expect expansions to come. There are just so many factions in WH40K to use, it's inevitable if the game sells. But this is a complete game. It doesn't need anything else to be a worthwhile experience.

Most the times the FFG games are lacking "something" (see Talisman and Relic above all) because you are obliged to buy new expansions without a proper "end" to this...
I feel it a bad thing because I ve not so much time and money to spend to acquire a full Talisma core + expansions collection or a new overpriced expansion (I own Relic and its expansions till now published but I find that they should have placed all the stuff of the 2 expansions in the core box and instead I've been obliged to spend 80 more euros to fully play a cool game (which, however, has too much to be fix and could be better improved in comparison to the time needed to see the last expansion and the hard gameplay in certain scenarios due to lack of playtesting you easily feel) that in the core box lacks some mechanics and playability (think if you would like to buy chess and once you start to set it up and play you became aware that your pieces are not all the pieces of the game and also the rulebook lack some part of the rules themselves and you have to wait another year or two in order to play it with all its components and gameplay !!! It is a kind of misrepresentation or fraud in my opinion...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stoklas
Slovakia
Bansk√° Bystrica
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SALTER wrote:
KingCroc wrote:
I don't share your complaint about many FFG games being "incomplete", so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I think Forbidden Stars is a great game right out of the box. I expect expansions to come. There are just so many factions in WH40K to use, it's inevitable if the game sells. But this is a complete game. It doesn't need anything else to be a worthwhile experience.

Most the times the FFG games are lacking "something" (see Talisman and Relic above all) because you are obliged to buy new expansions without a proper "end" to this...
I feel it a bad thing because I ve not so much time and money to spend to acquire a full Talisma core + expansions collection or a new overpriced expansion (I own Relic and its expansions till now published but I find that they should have placed all the stuff of the 2 expansions in the core box and instead I've been obliged to spend 80 more euros to fully play a cool game (which, however, has too much to be fix and could be better improved in comparison to the time needed to see the last expansion and the hard gameplay in certain scenarios due to lack of playtesting you easily feel) that in the core box lacks some mechanics and playability (think if you would like to buy chess and once you start to set it up and play you became aware that your pieces are not all the pieces of the game and also the rulebook lack some part of the rules themselves and you have to wait another year or two in order to play it with all its components and gameplay !!! It is a kind of misrepresentation or fraud in my opinion...)


I think, you buy wrong games
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only expansions that would make the game better would be more factions. I do not want any more rules or features, the game is long and complex as it is. Any more rules or features would put it over the top for me and would unlikely see any play. It's not easy to get a new player into a game with people who have already played it. Teaching takes quite some time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.