Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi played 2nd ed. for the first time I was House Baratheon and I had loads of castles South of me occupied only by neutrals.

I was easily able to just sweep South take out the neutrals (not even "costing" combat cards)and win. Tyrell had a similar opportunity but was more occupied with the nearby Lannisters.

It felt very easy and there was not much battling. I also felt like I was in an ubalanced (in my favour) position.

Is this a known issue or just a fluke?

edit: was a 5 player game, not 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Problem with 4 player game after first play, fluke or not?
This is a known issue, and there are several 4p alternatives mentioned on the forums and in the files section, the best of which is probably Roftie's: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87242/4-and-5-player-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt matt
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biarien wrote:
This is a known issue, and there are several 4p alternatives mentioned on the forums and in the files section, the best of which is probably Roftie's: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87242/4-and-5-player-...

Except he played with 5 players...

Personally I would remove either Lannister or Greyjoy from play and block 3 castles in their respective domain. Reducing the amount of castles will force players to combat other houses in order to reach the 7 castle limit.

There are a total of 20 castles to take for 6 players so that is 3 for each house to grab easily and 2 castles (kings landing and the eyrie) that costs some turns (you need to march enough power to take them). If you reduce the amount of players I would advise to also reduce the amount of castles by 3 for each player. The 4 player setup is even worse than the 5 player setup (both martell and tyrell wont play but their lands are not blocked).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kanniebaal wrote:
Biarien wrote:

Except he played with 5 players...

Hmm, based on the edit, I think it might have said 4. Otherwise, I'm just going crazy. In any case, I still recommend Roftie's overlay for 5p. I've not tested the 4p overlays, but have used the 5p overlay, and found it very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time this happens is forgiveable, the second, Not. The other players should notice your tactic and move to prevent it, all fool them for not realising and managing diplomacy to prevent this cowardly victory.

When I won as Baratheon, I deliberately avoided this tactic to prevent facing the full table. A game where another player lost as Baratheon, I used its threat as diplomacy, turning others attentions to them and not me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.