United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, that's where I seem to be at with boardgaming and other hobbies. Only exception in board gaming is "set collection", or any other case where the word "collection" is used to describe a process or mechanic.

If you can afford the time, space, and money involved in collecting stuff, then by all means, don't let me stop you. We all get to spend our $$ the way we want. However, I've been noticing just how many ways inside and outside of board gaming one can get into collections...


some notable ones in BOARD GAMING
-DBG (deck building games)
too much $$, too much set up, and often too many freakin' cards to lug around. I'm glad I never went beyond base game Dominion, never bothered with Ascension, and only bought 4 sets of Thunderstone.
-X-Wing Minis
"Once you get one, you're going to want to buy them all", and some folks dropping $1000 on this alone.
-Many in a series
I used to get all of the Ticket To Ride games, but stopped at Asia. They weren't really getting played, and took up too much space, even when there were cases of double-sided boards, and combining multiple sets into one box.
-CCGs
I've heard of folks spend $1000 to $2K on MtG, or $200 a month even.
-Minis games
Warhammer and anything Games Workshop comes to mind


some other ones outside of board gaming
On 2 separate cruises, I've been asked if I collect Tag Heuer watches laugh I know the sales guy uses that line as an intro for his job, and that doesn't know anything about me, but it's still amusing to be asked if I buy and collect watches that are worth thousands to hundreds of thousands of $s each. Also had one of them ask me if I collect liquor, like Johnny Walker scotch (same guy tried to sell me a $3,800 bottle that came in a crystal flask, with leather and gold bounded carry box.


On the more realistic side, I did collect Nintendo cards and stickers before one day, I realized that we're going to want to buy a house one day. Let's stop while the financial damage is still on the level.

Also wanted to start a PDA collection, but was concerned that would get expensive and space consuming.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming ambition is to become a chit millionaire.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because it is my collection doesn't mean that I "collect" games. It's just an easy word to use to describe my set of games.
25 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. It's never bothered me in board games. And while I have collections of things (note my owned games list) it's only in service of using them. I find little value in owning things just to say I own them.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
For me, that's where I seem to be at with boardgaming and other hobbies. Only exception in board gaming is "set collection", or any other case where the word "collection" is used to describe a process or mechanic.

If you can afford the time, space, and money involved in collecting stuff, then by all means, don't let me stop you. We all get to spend our $$ the way we want. However, I've been noticing just how many ways inside and outside of board gaming one can get into collections...


some notable ones in BOARD GAMING
-DBG (deck building games)
too much $$, too much set up, and often too many freakin' cards to lug around. I'm glad I never went beyond base game Dominion, never bothered with Ascension, and only bought 4 sets of Thunderstone.
-X-Wing Minis
"Once you get one, you're going to want to buy them all", and some folks dropping $1000 on this alone.
-Many in a series
I used to get all of the Ticket To Ride games, but stopped at Asia. They weren't really getting played, and took up too much space, even when there were cases of double-sided boards, and combining multiple sets into one box.
-CCGs
I've heard of folks spend $1000 to $2K on MtG, or $200 a month even.
-Minis games
Warhammer and anything Games Workshop comes to mind


some other ones outside of board gaming
On 2 separate cruises, I've been asked if I collect Tag Heuer watches :laugh: I know the sales guy uses that line as an intro for his job, and that doesn't know anything about me, but it's still amusing to be asked if I buy and collect watches that are worth thousands to hundreds of thousands of $s each. Also had one of them ask me if I collect liquor, like Johnny Walker scotch (same guy tried to sell me a $3,800 bottle that came in a crystal flask, with leather and gold bounded carry box.


On the more realistic side, I did collect Nintendo cards and stickers before one day, I realized that we're going to want to buy a house one day. Let's stop while the financial damage is still on the level.

Also wanted to start a PDA collection, but was concerned that would get expensive and space consuming.


Why do people care what others do with their money? $1,000 is almost nothing for a good number of people in regards to their hobbies.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shilling's allowed on cruises?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no recollection...

Pete (tries to collect his thoughts)
26 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I only collect games I plan on playing. I have no problem with the word. I do think it's odd some of the things people collect but if that's what they like I have no issue with it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bottle of wine the worse for wear, but I have (currently) completed my Martin Wallace collection... that counts, right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can`t really cringe, when the fact is that I collect games, and Tex Willer, AND anime, AAAND funny T-shirts. I would cringe a bit if it was hoarding. That is unfortunately an obsession for some people. I can sell off games when I feel like it, I can stop buying animes and T-shirts. Collecting Tex Willer is a long standing hobby of mine. It`s just there... So it is a healthy attitude to collection and collecting you need.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar

ackmondual wrote:

I've heard of folks spend $1000 to $2K on MtG, or $200 a month even.


That's all?That much!! Outrageous! whistle

I would never do anything like that...
anymore.

15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not collect anything, but that doesn't stop me from amassing a collection of games. The games together are collected into a collection. But I do not collect .

To me collecting something is more passive, not using. If you have higher than 25% unplayed games, you probably collect (I have <5% unplayed games, and none unplayed after a month or 2). Most games if good, get played repeatedly, if poor (to us), get math traded.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a collector collecting a collection of collect words and all their variations. See how many I've collected so far. I keep them in a collecestomy bag. zombie
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humanity is simply matter of choosing one's addiction.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I only cringe on "moist collection"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
I do not collect anything, but that doesn't stop me from amassing a collection of games. The games together are collected into a collection. But I do not collect .

To me collecting something is more passive, not using. If you have higher than 25% unplayed games, you probably collect (I have <5% unplayed games, and none unplayed after a month or 2). Most games if good, get played repeatedly, if poor (to us), get math traded.


I have about 15% unplayed, but I also just had a lot of acquisition with Christmas bonus/presents/etc. I normally hover around 5-10%.

And even then, none of the games in my collection are games I own just to own. I WANT to play all of them. Some of them are just difficult to get to the table.

Oh Twilight Imperium. One day. One day my friend.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

I've heard of folks spend $1000 to $2K on MtG


*laughs* I have plenty of individual cards worth that...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the title, no. Because why would I?

The body of this topic, though, I feel doesn't match the title. You talk about collections, but you don't really explain why the term makes you cringe.

I don't understand what the problem with collections is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I cringe when I see people with more than one copy of a game that's rare or at least difficult to get. Especially when it's one I want myself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, ha, I mean, I don't think that my collecting is a real problem, but it does say something when I reorganized my shelves, somehow came up with a whole extra cube (I use Expedits) and thought "Man, that means I need to buy more games!"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Just because it is my collection doesn't mean that I "collect" games. It's just an easy word to use to describe my set of games.


This is probably the first time I've come to agreement with Michael here on the geek.

It's just a word to use to describe it to people. I don't think the word is cringe-worthy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Whose ELSE 'collections' WERE 'Baker's Dozen' at least?

GLASS
domestic & import
'shot'
coffee "S"brand cups
sauron
robot 'Military'

Music
'autographed'
*prizes*


Puzz-3D

Books

Avon Cars

"Coca Cola"
also as Music *prizes*

VHS tapes
600 after just over a year

Star Wars

Star Trek

T-Shirts
"autographed"
*prizes* as some

Seattle Seahawks "memorablebilia"
GOTS: Football "Game" featuring Denver & Seattle manufactured from 1990, while around mid November during their 2013 "Superbowl Season!"

"Barbies" smattering

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you refer to a set of something, if not as a collection?

'My game collection' sounds better than 'my set of games' or 'the bunch of games I have' or the like and hints at the fact that there might be more than 5.

And for a lot of people thought and care has gone into what games they choose to own, as opposed to just having some left over from gifts they received as as kids. So 'collection' suggests a degree of curation regardless of the number of games involved.

Not a strange word choice to me, and it doesn't rub me the wrong way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
NO longer "playable" PC discs for XP circa 2002, "and then?"..."3.5" ones of 2015!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
arrrh "Pirateolgy" paper 'model ship' displayed within 'cabinet' of Dad's making, as the book itself sat in the background behind that along with a GAMR 'board' opened to show the vessel name of "Seahawk"!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.