Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering if anyone else has had an allergic reaction to the game components themselves? I punched and organized two different games this past weekend, so it might not have been Zombicide that gave me the plague... :/

Basically I started getting red itchy spots on my hands yesterday. Primarily my thumb and index finger, both hands, with a few spots scattered on other fingers (like where I would have gripped the cardboard while punching).

I've punched a lot of games in the past few years, but this is the first reaction I have had. And given that Zombicide is part of an ongoing series that I've had no issues with previously, it may have been the other game (Posthuman), so I will ask about it over there, too, and see if I can narrow down the culprit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide stuff never bothered me but I did get a reaction from Reaper Bones figures. I was sorting and removing the kickstarter figures and the smell after a while made me nauseous and dizzy, with a general ill feeling for a couple hours after. I was assured there were no toxicity by the Reaper forum members and I appear to be a minority that gets ill from that plastic. Might be you just have a sensitivity to some plastic types too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
That's just the zombie virus, KS exclusive component, nothing to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had reactions similar to your reports while moving cardboard boxes on hands and inner arms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So maybe I'm just getting old, and newly sensitive to cardboard... I hope not, I'd hate to have to start using the white-glove treatment whenever I unbox new games!

...on the plus side, I'd probably BUY fewer games, and save some money...

Nah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you punch any games that are laser cut, such as games by Victory point? There is a possibility that the residue from the process may have irritated your skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Developing an allergy to games... that's just too horrible to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not experience any adverse effects after punching my cardboard last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Cardell
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recently moved and thus had to move a ton of cardboard boxes. Several of them had some kind of light varnish which I suspect being the reason for getting the exact symptoms that you describe. After about two weeks they went away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiff Reynolds
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orran wrote:
I recently moved and thus had to move a ton of cardboard boxes. Several of them had some kind of light varnish which I suspect being the reason for getting the exact symptoms that you describe. After about two weeks they went away.

Ack! Two weeks? Oh I hope this doesn't last that long, I sympathize and hope you had good remedies!

My dear husband went out to CVS last night at 9:30, and bought me three different allergy medications. The Benadryl did nothing except keep me awake all night, but the Claritin today is working really well, so I'll stick with that, and cold compresses.

Regarding the varnishes, I honestly think it was the Posthuman game and not Zombicide that triggered this. The game had many sheets of very thin shiny cardboard (nearly cardstock), with a billion minuscule tokens and tiny square holes in dashboards for holding the wooden cubes. All needing punched. Took forever and my thumbs and index fingers were aching afterwards - the exact places I now have the worst reactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.