Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let's have a quick look at the new edition of the WWII Lock n' load system. It is called Heroes of Normandy. I have just received my copy of the game that I helped funding through their crowd funding program.

It will just be a first impression review as I am off to vacations tomorrow.

This is the box cover. I am not sure who the guy is but I doubt anyone active on the front line is that chubby... anyway, we have a healthy GI and that's a pleasure to know the boys are well fed. Thinking about it, it might actually be one of the high rank sponsors of the crowd founders. Pretty amusing and we should not take things too seriously.

The box contains a lot of goodies. First a rules manual. It looks well presented, with big characters and not to dense in spite of the 65 pages or so. I believe it will be an easy read.

Here is an example of the rules. Nice diagram, everything seems well organized and clear.

As a first rank backer, my box contained a signed certificate of authenticity. It is a nice touch and appreciated. My box is number 64... yoohoo. Not sure why they called it "certificate of authenticity" though. Maybe to avoid illegal copies?... hmm. These --insert country--- people.

There are a lot of paratroopers included in the box with distinct counters. We have 82nd Airborne division as well as the 101st. I honestly don't understand why these two divisions get their own counters instead of having generic ones for paratroopers. Not going to lose sleep over it and there might be a logical explanation beside the most obvious ("because we like it").

Here is a guide to the counters. Pretty standard stuff, nothing too unorthodox.

Nicely designed counters, notice the Panther on the left and the Pz IV H in the center.

The mandatory "elite" germans with their not less "mandatory" black counters

Regular krauts wehrmacht soldiers

Big nice fat counters and pre-cut. No clipping, means faster time to the table. Beautiful!
Many of the most usual suspect tanks (Pz IV, Stugs, Panthers are in platoon of 4). This is perfect for a tactical game at that scale. Anyway, infantry is the main focus of LnL. Very honestly, for all the games I have played -we are talking to you FOW- a few tanks are more than enough. No need to saturate a table.

The maps are beautiful as well and up to the better standards in the game design. There are 6 maps in two sizes. I don't remember whether this is an option from the crowdfunding but each map has a small hex version and a large hex version. Nice touch. I sponsored this project a zillion years ago so I forgot a bit the details to be frank.

Good attention to detail with the black dots and the red dots to offer the best color contrast with the terrain.

The maps are gorgeous. The ones I received are not mounted. It may be an option that I have chosen or the default option. I do not remember.

The game contains also numerous players aids which seems to summarize pretty well all the points of the rules.

The box also contains a booklet of 30 scenarios that are well presented and probably easily adaptable to miniature gaming should you wish so.

As you can see, the scenarios look reasonable in size. Here we have 2 platoons of British paratroopers with 2 tanks engaging the equivalent of a few germans squads.

I need to test the game and have some plays under the belt to review it better. But so far, it is a work of love and it clearly shows.

So far so good. Not sure the game is re-inventing something super original and special but it seems a matter of an old buddy coming back with more maturity and having aged nicely.

Oddly enough, in all this, the pre-cut counters are what takes the cake. It just means I will be able to test the game so much faster. That's a big plus.

So all the flags are green, game has by now be played well in its previous version, scenarios well tested so definitely a solid entry for your tactical fix.

This being said, I am becoming a card driven wargames freak...arrrh
Let's see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
bggrank wrote:
Tifast wrote:

Regular krauts

really?

Don't be sour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryel C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sauerkraut are bright blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darcone wrote:
Sauerkraut are bright blue.
u

Ain't they a yellowish white? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bggrank wrote:
Tifast wrote:

Regular krauts

really?

here, corrected:

Regular krauts wehrmacht soldiers

sorry if it was offending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.