Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I got a copy of Greenland 1st edition a month or so ago...not realizing the 2nd edition was about to come out.
Have since received the 2nd.
Haven't opened either up yet..haven't yet played the game.
I will be keeping one, and giving one away as a gift. Which to you recommend keeping?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the first edition. Much prefer the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
For me, the first edition. Much prefer the art.
Im keeping both. Although Karim's art and graphic design for the 2nd ed is quite great and clean and matches Neanderthal's, I really like Phil's first edition art. On the other hand, the 2nd Ed supposedly contains extra cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I like the old art by Phil, the newer stylings are slick and really make it feel much more like a game.

The way the iconography gibes with the placards' and those having a helpful turn order aid, the whole deal… plus, it looks like a sibling of Neanderthal with a uniform aesthetic.

I still have my play test cards from Neanderthal, and it's interesting to compare what would have been Neanderthal "1e" to what was published.
Hint: It's the same style as Greenland 1e.

I think that Greenland 2nd edition makes for the better gift.
Whereas, Greenland 1e makes for the better SMG diehards out there.

(Of course, owning both copies is perfectly legit, too… whistle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bios Origins looks like it will also be done by Karim so keeping the 2nd Ed will give your games a consistency. This may be the 'look' of Phil's games from here on out.

I much prefer the 2nd Ed cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, would keep the second. Although I did like the inclusion of hunting grounds visualization in the first version. More educational the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both fine, but I think the 2nd edition is easier to learn, and to teach to others. The card art is going to be a personal preference, I'd advise you to compare the images here and see which you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Heliconia wrote:
Bios Origins looks like it will also be done by Karim so keeping the 2nd Ed will give your games a consistency. This may be the 'look' of Phil's games from here on out.

I much prefer the 2nd Ed cards.

Can't find much on Bios: Origins...or Bios: Megafauna re-print for that matter. Is there any more information available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd edition looks much better to me and I like the rules updates also. Sold my first edition.

To me, the first edition looks quite ugly and messy. In comparison, the 2nd is clean and beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Seidel
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the design of the first edition more. Its more colourful and the use of photographs makes the game more vivid imo.

I dont mind the fact that the design of Neanderthal and Greenland 1st dont match. If anything the difference in design elevates the gaming pleasure in terms of diversity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:

Can't find much on Bios: Origins...or Bios: Megafauna re-print for that matter. Is there any more information available?

BIOS: Origins is in playtesting, so it's coming. I imagine too many things are in flux for there to be much information out there yet.

No word on a Megafauna reprint, and since SMG have apparently lost their US distributor, I'm going to wildly speculate that this might be harder to do than in previous years, at least for the near future.

One thing I've learnt with SMG games is that they sell out fast, and reprints aren't at all assured. Grab them whilst you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
I hold my first edition because of the art... And I hold my second edition because of the Greenland: Sea Sámi expansion and the possibility to play it together with Neanderthal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you guys mean Bios: Genesis - Origins is already a game, albeit, long oop.
I'm guessing that Origins will eventually get a reprint, but it might not be until after Bios Earth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you plan to buy Neanderthal, keep the 2nd ed. They use the same symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.