Firefly: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: paying the crew with supply payouts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
According to the FAQ, a job that pays off in goods, such as Cargo, requires paying the crew. However, this seems to violate the whole premise of the Pilot Episode (no crew gets paid until someone buys the cargo). In any case, you might not have anything with which to pay them, forcing disgruntlement. On the other hand, it isn't practical to defer payment because the cargo gets mixed up with other cargo, crews change, etc. I know what the rules say (via the FAQ), I just wondered if anyone has a different solution for that situation (nominal payment, no payment, etc).
Also, if you begin a job that loads cargo onto your ship, at a port where you are solid with the contact there, I presume you can use your next action to sell the cargo right back (esp. if it's worth more than the job). It leaves you with an open job, but the cash might be worth it. This doesn't violate the rules, does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
According to the FAQ, a job that pays off in goods, such as Cargo, requires paying the crew. However, this seems to violate the whole premise of the Pilot Episode (no crew gets paid until someone buys the cargo). In any case, you might not have anything with which to pay them, forcing disgruntlement. On the other hand, it isn't practical to defer payment because the cargo gets mixed up with other cargo, crews change, etc. I know what the rules say (via the FAQ), I just wondered if anyone has a different solution for that situation (nominal payment, no payment, etc).

Which job are you looking at? I thought all jobs had payment in $$ at the end. If you don't have enough money to pay some or all (or choose not to pay them)of the crew, they would be then be disgruntled (unless Good Deeds is part of the job).

whardy wrote:

Also, if you begin a job that loads cargo onto your ship, at a port where you are solid with the contact there, I presume you can use your next action to sell the cargo right back (esp. if it's worth more than the job). It leaves you with an open job, but the cash might be worth it. This doesn't violate the rules, does it?

I hadn't thought about that aspect, but I'd allow it in my groups games. Tricky. Very tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever job you're referring to, it's really irrelevant. You must either pay your crew upon completing a job, or disgruntle each crew member who doesn't receive their cut (unless a job specifies that someone doesn't get paid, e.g. "good deeds").

I would disagree that it violates the theme according to the show. On the contrary, nobody is ever quite at peace about a job until they actually get paid. The game deals with this in a simple, sensible manner, i.e. pay your crew or else disgruntle them.

whardy wrote:

It does not violate the rules to do this↑.
You are under no obligation to complete a job, though there is one story card wherein you are penalized for incomplete jobs at game's end.
You can do whatever you want the goods once they're loaded onto your ship. You can lose your goods in various ways as well--seized by the Alliance, pirated away (with Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters added), or burned up (new nav card(s) in Firefly: The Game – Kalidasa). The rules draw attention to the fact that goods can be replaced if lost. And there are various methods to do this--salvage ops, etc. With the addition of bonus opportunities in Firefly: The Game – Kalidasa, there are even more opportunities to pick up liquid goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are a very small number of Jobs, all for Niska, I believe, that pay an X per Crew on the Job (X = Cargo, Contraband, or Goods).

As with Jobs that pay cash, the Crew must be paid when the Job is completed. This creates a dynamic where the player must pay off the Crew, then hope to make up the money later.

Does this conflict with the show? Maybe, maybe not, although I don't think the situation we're talking about here is really comparable to the situation in the pilot, which is really a Salvage Op, rather than a Job, in my opinion. This is closer to, say, the hospital job on Ariel, where the crew does not make money, but instead steals goods that they need to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Does this conflict with the show? Maybe, maybe not, although I don't think the situation we're talking about here is really comparable to the situation in the pilot, which is really a Salvage Op, rather than a Job, in my opinion. This is closer to, say, the hospital job on Ariel, where the crew does not make money, but instead steals goods that they need to sell.
good example. that episode also had another good Jayne'ism "Nothin' buys bygones quicker than cash."
indicating that, although they were stealing goods, Jayne was still expecting to get coin for the job. and at the end, when Mal said to Jayne that "If you hadn't come, you wouldn't be getting your big payday" implying coin to everyone, but more referring to the wrench he's about to get upside the head. although they got the contraband, everyone is still about the coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.