Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jouni Rayndeer
Germany
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
Helloes everyone!

I'm gonna get this game as a christmas gift (hope so ) and want to prepare for the upcoming super fun session. That is why I want to ask: What are the most common mistakes, rules errors or stuff that new players tend to forget in this game?

Gonna play as Dracula ofc and I want to get the rules right!

Thanks in advance and merry christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me:

1. You need to understand when combat occurs against Dracula. You need to understand how dawn and dusk work: dawn is the first part of day and thus happens just after Dracula's move (i.e. this is when Dracula can instigate combat by moving into a hunter location if he wishes - he often won't want to do this). Dusk is the first part of night, and happens just after the hunters have moved (i.e. this is when the hunters can instigate combat by moving into Dracula's location, which is ultimately what will win them the game).

2. You need to understand when combat occurs against the vampire encounter cards Dracula has placed on his trail. This is done either when:
~ a hunter moves into a location occupied by such a vampire IF Dracula chooses to ambush with that vampire (he usually won't want to do this, to make the hunter use another action to search the location), or:
~ a hunter searches a location with a vampire in it.

3. Vampire withdrawal from combat:

You need to know how many rounds of combat must be fought before Dracula or his other vampires can withdraw from a fight (one plus the number of despair tokens played for Dracula himself, three for other vampires on Dracula's trail regardless of the number of despair tokens played).

If a non-Dracula vampire is able to survive a combat long enough to withdraw, then the vampire encounter remains in the location (unlike the other encounter cards Drac can leave in a location which are usually removed after being exposed through a Dracula ambush or a hunter search) along with any damage tokens sustained in the combat. The hunters must search the location again if they want to instigate a second combat against the vampire (which they almost certainly will want to do to prevent the vampire from maturing and giving Dracula points).

4. Hunters can't move at night, but are able to perform all of their other actions

5. Sea
~ Exception to 4 above: Hunters at sea at night must pass
~ Hunters at sea during the day must move (i.e. they can't remain in the same sea location)
~ If a hunter moves into the sea that currently Dracula is in, Dracula does NOT reveal the sea card
~ There is no combat at sea
~ Dracula does not place encounter cards while at sea
~ Dracula takes two life points to move from a port to a sea area, and one life point to move from one sea area to another sea area
~ While at sea, Dracula's Fury of Dracula power is NOT triggered (i.e. in the fourth week, Dracula cannot stay at sea and collect three influence points, the Fury of Dracula is only triggered when he moves to a city location)

6. Dracula should avoid accidentally making illegal moves. It messes up the game, and the penalties he incurs are liable to cost him the game! I haven't seen many of the above in play (just on the BGG threads), but I've done this myself modest

The iconography on the location cards helps here - it shows legal moves. (I messed up a move by thinking Granada was a port - given it's halfway up a mountain, of course it isn't! If I'd checked the Mediterranean sea card, this would have been clear).

7. For a first game, I would not use the advanced rules. They add more complexity, and favour Dracula. In my experience first-time hunters are likely to have a hard enough job against a competent Dracula, so I would save these until everyone knows what to do.

Hope you have a great game - I find it a lot of tension-filled fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
2 trips me up a little bit sometimes because of aggressive vampire. The rest I am fine on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
For me:

1. You need to understand when combat occurs against Dracula. You need to understand how dawn and dusk work: dawn is the first part of day and thus happens just after Dracula's move (i.e. this is when Dracula can instigate combat if he wishes - he often won't want to do this). Dusk is the first part of night, and happens just after the hunters have moved (i.e. this is when the hunters can instigate combat, which is ultimately what will win them the game).

Just to be perfectly clear on this. Combat at dawn or dusk is not optional, it must happen if Dracula is in a land location with 1 or more hunters at that time. Any choices to be made are made before moving into a location that will result in a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Jim Marshall wrote:
For me:

1. You need to understand when combat occurs against Dracula. You need to understand how dawn and dusk work: dawn is the first part of day and thus happens just after Dracula's move (i.e. this is when Dracula can instigate combat if he wishes - he often won't want to do this). Dusk is the first part of night, and happens just after the hunters have moved (i.e. this is when the hunters can instigate combat, which is ultimately what will win them the game).

Just to be perfectly clear on this. Combat at dawn or dusk is not optional, it must happen if Dracula is in a land location with 1 or more hunters at that time. Any choices to be made are made before moving into a location that will result in a fight.

That's a good point. My post notes Dracula 'can' instigate combat implying he has a choice, but this is because he can choose to move into the hunter location (or not). If he moves into the hunter location, then combat will occur automatically in the following dawn phase.

I'll reword it to make it 100% clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
6. Dracula should avoid accidentally making illegal moves. It messes up the game, and the penalties he incurs are liable to cost him the game! I haven't seen many of the above in play (just on the BGG threads), but I've done this myself modest

The iconography on the location cards helps here - it shows legal moves.

Based on game reports, the most common illegal move mistake is Dracula accidentally along a RAIL line. He can only use ROADS for land travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bonario
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, in addition to those already mentioned:

1. Dracula doesn't put encounter cards on sea cards.

2. Revealed vampire encounter cards stay on the trail until the vampire is killed or matured. They are not discarded if the Hunter flees or the vampire survives the combat. (Note: any encounter card used by Dracula to Ambush is discarded, including vampires, unless the card says otherwise.)

3. Dracula can use a revealed encounter card to ambush a Hunter.

4. Only roads determine adjacent cities. Cities connected ONLY by railway are not adjacent. e.g even though Bordeaux and Clermont-Ferrand appear to be the same distance from Paris on the map, Bordeaux is not adjacent to Paris but Clermont-Ferrand is.

5. Unlike Hunters, who return every other card played back to their hand, when Dracula or a vampire fights, the cards played are not returned to the Dracula player's hand. Instead, after a Dracula combat card is resolved/cancelled, the card is turned face down and the Dracula player draws a new combat card drawn from the combat deck.

6. If there are one or more fog tokens on multiple cities, at dusk one fog token is removed from *each* city. If there are multiple roadblock tokens, only one roadblock token is removed from the board at dusk. If there are multiple storm tokens, only one storm token is removed from the board at dusk.

7. Hunters draw Event cards at *any* city when they use the Supply action. Hunters don't need to be getting items or be in large cities to draw Event cards. If a Hunter takes the Supply action in a small city, they draw an Event card (but not an item card).

I mentioned this because early in the game Hunters are frequently using Supply to get item cards, which are only available in large cities, and after which they also draw an Event card. The Hunters may get the impression they need to be getting an item before they can get an Event card, and therefore begin to associate being in a large city and/or getting items with getting an Event card.

8. Following topics in Rules Reference are worth reading before playing your first game, or at least after your first game:

- Actions
- Adjacency
- Ambush
- Combat
- Delayed
- Dracula Errors
- Dracula Phase
- Encounter Cards
- Event Cards
- Hidden Information
- Hideouts
- Locations
- Movement
- Reveal
- Trade
- Vampire Encounters
- Weakened

9. Before playing your first Advanced Game, make sure the Dracula player reads the Reference rules for Lairs, Rumors tokens, and the entries for each of the Power Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bonario
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: There is a mistake on the Quick Reference located on the back of the Rules Reference:

Under Hunter Actions, the Trade action states you secretly trade "event cards"; it should say "item cards".

Only Van Helsing has the ability to initiate a trade of event cards with another Hunter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sobelius wrote:
2. Revealed vampire encounter cards stay on the trail until the vampire is killed or matured. They are not discarded if the Hunter flees or the vampire survives the combat. (Note: any encounter card used by Dracula to Ambush is discarded, including vampires, unless the card says otherwise.)
Bolded point is not true. Vampire Encounters are not discarded during an Ambush, they stick around (With any damage suffered) until they are defeated. pg 14, Rules Reference and the new FAQ:
FFG FAQ wrote:
Q: What happens to a vampire encounter when the vampire is not defeated?
A: The card is returned faceup to its hideout or lair, and all damage dealt to the vampire remains on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.