Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the site this was posted
Quote:
Greetings, Magi.

This message comes to you from several senior Magi of the Ordo Principia. Our esteemed leader, Magi Gabrielson, is missing, so this update does not include any information about shipping product, timelines, etc. We wish we had better news on that front. We are trying hard to get clear answers about the future of Serpent’s Tongue before New Years.

But despite problems, the world of Serpent’s Tongue moves forward! Today we bring you two presents.

For those of you fond of the game, we have a new Encounter to challenge your Codexes. Magi Lahzarel Thane has found a new villain to threaten Magi-kind: Krampus, the evil twin to Santa. He punishes those who have done evil, and, let’s face it, after hundreds of lifetimes, there are few Magi whose hands are truly clean.

For those of you fond of the backstory, we have a new short story: a tale of Magi Ur and his exploits. Magi Lond has dug into the Archives to find this gem. It takes place in 2013, and tells the tale of Magi Ur going off to find the nam-shub that was so critical to saving the city of Wichita that year, as some of you may recall.

We are having web site problems. If you get a database error, please just refresh the web page. It mostly works… our tech guys are working on it, but they say it is a deep issue… and databases are immune to magick, apparently.

The Ordo Principia will continue to try to get back on track. Until then, have a Merry Christmas… or as merry as it can be with Krampus hunting your soul!

I don't know if this is trying to imply that the creator has abandoned the project. That wouldn't be a surprise with how withdrawn he's been in the last year or so. Since some of the rest of the people in the project are his brothers I don't know how you go missing from them near Christmas, but OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:
Since some of the rest of the people in the project are his brothers I don't know how you go missing from them near Christmas, but OK.

Simple, you leave without telling them. People do it all the time every year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. Sad to see, but glad to see a new Encounter anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
taraba wrote:
Since some of the rest of the people in the project are his brothers I don't know how you go missing from them near Christmas, but OK.

Simple, you leave without telling them. People do it all the time every year.

Yes, that's the answer for literally how you go missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pedersen
United States
Oxford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I haven't heard of any of the other Gabrielsons being involved (other than Gunnar) in a long while. I think this project took a huge toll on Chris, bigger than he thought it would.

I do hope Chris is okay, and not just for this project. I've got my issues regarding his communications about this project, but that does not mean I don't like him. He's a nice guy, and I wish him well simply for his own sake, even if it means he abandoned Serpent's Tongue entirely.

Chris, I don't know if you're out there, or if you'll see this, but I hope you do: Be well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin E.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
The Krampus event is awesome! It's super tough though. A few of us at Full Spectrum in Arlington TX took him on last night and got busted up pretty bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Neeley

Shreveport
Louisiana
msg tools
Avast
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think by "missing" they mean "in jail".

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/provo/two-arre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pedersen
United States
Oxford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Well, if it wasn't dead before, I think I just read its eulogy. That's seriously shitty behavior if true.

EDIT: I wound up doing some internet stalking to try to confirm if this is the same Chris Gabrielson. I have a feeling he's about to make his Facebook page private, but here's the url right now: https://www.facebook.com/christopher.gabrielson.1

Two things from it spring out.

On December 4, 2015, he posted a pic of imself with someone who, on Faceook, is named "Ani Pardo". The person in that article was arrested with somebody named "Ani Pardo-Moran". Picture of her on FB, and in that article, looks very similar.

His profile says "Worked at UnBound Games LLC". Past tense. That makes me believe that he's given up on it entirely.

Sadly, this tells me it's time to call the whole thing done. Hopefully, one of the fans can get the data out, and make it somehow usable to others. Though, with copyright and trademark issues, that could be a problem.

Dammit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anni is the same person. She has sporadically answered questions on the becomemagi support system for the last six months.

That said, the date on the article is from before thanksgiving. And CG himself answered a question on the support forums 10 hours ago, as of this writing (Jan 10th, 2016).

And *that* said, I still do think it's done. If I was being cynical, I'd say he's answering questions every little while to provide the illusion things are still working, so the occasional sucker buys more product. He's broke, and obviously has more problems than just this game/company.

We sit here and talk about how he should just sell the game, but perhaps he has already tried, and no one is interested. That's got to be hard, if true. Knowing you put so much time and effort into something, going into debt, etc., and have it worth nothing in the end.

And Pedersen, I mentioned somewhere around here that I've archived the highest-resolution versions of all the cards from the becomemagi site- just yesterday I finished renaming and sorting them all. I was hoping to import them into a card app on my tablet (like LackeyCCG, if it ever gets ported to Android), but now it looks like it might be for posterity. I wonder how good postcard prints would look of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well this is... Sobering. I guess that's really the final nail in the coffin, the "you are already dead" of fist of the north star fame. I'd been holding out on this, really hoping it would work out, but it seems that it's not going to be the case at this point. Guess I'll give up on the idea of seeing my incorrectly shipped order fixed, too.

If you could find your way to uploading the images of the cards Quixotic, that would be cool, although I imagine that's a lot of stuff to upload, so naturally no demands if it's impractical.

~le sigh~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, it's all on my OneDrive cloud storage. I learned a long time ago about the benefits of not keeping projects local. If anyone wants the link to the folder, just ask.

Edit: perhaps I'll zip it into an archive, too, for easier downloading. Probably tomorrow morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! It looks like CG has had quite the last couple years. His wife's gone and now he has a rap sheet. It is a sad end for sure and I hope he gets everything sorted out before he truly hits rock bottom. For us Legacy Speakers, it was a total wash in the end. It is really interesting how a vision can be transformed to cardstock and then just vanish. Yet for others like my hero Adam Poots and his piece of art, Kingdom Death; Monster, that vision takes flight and just skyrockets.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to pull this back a minute, because Serpent's Tongue is bigger than Chris Gabrielson.

It's the community. "We" includes everyone on this thread, as well as Lazharel Thane and others who have taken up leadership at one point or another.

It's the language. We all have access to it. We should all have fun with it.

It's the game - the rules, the physical cards produced, and the template for going forward. Hopefully you have a copy (if not, contact Bob to buy one, or me if you want a few cards for trade).

I believe that at this point we, The Awakened, must claim ownership in every sense other than copyright and business concepts, and continue to run with developing the story and allowing the game to grow.

That is, _IF_ we want that.

I'm not going to write off Chris forever, but I'm not going to expect him to lead, either, for obvious reasons.

From here, it's up to us. One suggestion I'd make, this community is very spread out and it's not an easy game to play online (unless we Skype or something). There are several folks interested in either developing ST Arena further or porting to OCTGN or Lackey. I'd like to see these Magi band together to work on an release one at a time. If funding is needed, appeal to the community, many of us would be willing to toss in $10; don't expect any deep pockets anywhere at this point.

Lastly, we need content. I've been playing with stories for two years. I should just start writing them down. Where can we share those, especially with templates for encounters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xar Sol
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really wanted to like this game. I loved the idea of immersion, the ability to play solo, co-op, or duel. I loved the potential for lore and most of all, out-of-the-box design. I liked how enthusiastic the community was and how much effort we tried to build something grand out of very little. But if I must be honest, and I will be honest, then I have no faith this game will be revived and that it will eventually fall into the annals of history. Its sad to say that this game, while incredibly detailed and very intuitive, was simply too much for one man and too-little-too-late for one community. I feel that CG broke under pressure and couldn't find a way to save face without marring his credibility and disappointing the community. Personally, I believe he did do that idiot thing and he no longer has the gullet to commune with hus. I apologize if this offends anyone, but we all know it is of some certain truth that this game is more or less dead and his grandiose promises are to blame.

Which is why i find your post, losh14, so rousing. If you're so passionate about this game, as are others, what would you do to preserve it? How would you go about, with only the tools at hand, in helping the community strive in a stronger, more clear direction than the darkness and silence we've all be lead through? Because if your passion is as strong as you say it is, then I'm all for trying to save this game, even to the tiniest of communities.

Personally, I think we need to begin where we all desire to be: with community established lore and definite history. Its fun playing magi, but we all crave a means of belonging, of establishing our orders and courts in some origin fashion with official decree. From there, player driven cards, as well as theme books for starters and vets alike. Finally, from a quarterly/trimester standpoint, create campaigns for players to participate in in order to affect lore, encounter, and card development. And more than anything, do our best to promote this game with open arms to other communities. With there help, we can survive and maybe grow.

But this is all wishful thinking. My outlook remains unchanged. This game is dead and the creator has killed like all other KS developers. Sad. So sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
risingsolx wrote:

Which is why i find your post, losh14, so rousing. If you're so passionate about this game, as are others, what would you do to preserve it? How would you go about, with only the tools at hand, in helping the community strive in a stronger, more clear direction than the darkness and silence we've all be lead through? Because if your passion is as strong as you say it is, then I'm all for trying to save this game, even to the tiniest of communities.

I appreciate the support. I think we need to be honest in what we expect. In short I want to see something that will lead up to an "Out of Eden" - a campaign. I don't think we can start there.

My big questions (and I'll start another thread to document this):
- Can we create new content, even if in small batches, and share and discuss?
- Can we still use the website, becomemagi.com, as a crux of the community or do we need to find a new home?
- How much inventory is still left? This is important for bringing on new players.

Is the game dead? I do think that CG's leadership is dead. That doesn't kill the game but it kills the direction he was planning on going.

We should start with a public discussion of what's next. I'm happy to see what those who own the website and IP plan to do, and ask what we can do to help.

Again, I'll post a more fleshed out thought on a new thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Neeley

Shreveport
Louisiana
msg tools
Avast
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without this:

losh14 wrote:
copyright and business concepts

and this:

losh14 wrote:
deep pockets

you're really just pissing in the wind, when it comes to new content on a scale that would involve anybody but yourself and a couple of acquaintances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostofmerlin wrote:
Without this:
losh14 wrote:
copyright and business concepts

and this:
losh14 wrote:
deep pockets

you're really just pissing in the wind, when it comes to new content on a scale that would involve anybody but yourself and a couple of acquaintances.

I'm not talking about cards or printed material - digital publishing is relatively cheap, and the marginal cost of each new encounter or even campaign is nil. As for copyright, I'd be astonished if anyone were in a position to bring suit, nor would there be cause if no money is made off this.

Call it fan fiction. Hell, I bet between CthulhuKid, Lazharel and myself, we could put out a mini-campaign in a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotic wrote:
Anni is the same person. She has sporadically answered questions on the becomemagi support system for the last six months.

Yep. This one for example: http://becomemagi.com/question/may-i-have-the-tracking-numbe...

That mugshot of her on http://www.heraldextra.com/eedition/page-a/page_cec33e9b-0c3... matches photos of her you can find online, too. Same person. It may be a little harder to tell with Christopher, but with her it's easier to make the connection. This is them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Krywusha
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Greetings,

As you might have read from the last update, we are opening a way for fans to add sanctioned content to the world of ST. You are more than welcome to write fan fiction, but if you would like your content to be sanctioned, then you can submit it. The information and emails are in the latest update.

I have already started working with a few players on ideas for new content. So this could be a nice way to continue exploring various aspects of ST.

For now, digital publishing (and online play) will be the focus while UnBound Games continues to look into fulfilling previous rewards.

As far as physical content, there has been discussions of areas of opportunity that we may be able to consider.

And in regard to pushing against the license/IP, I will ask you kindly not do this. There is already an unsanctioned mod on Steam that is going to have to be looked into. So please don't promote the need for any revenue brought in for rewards to have to be used for legal reasons.

Be well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Krywusha
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes, Ani is helping with customer support for ST.

Can we please get past that article? That episode did not in any way impact UnBound Games or Christopher/Ani. The article should have been retracted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pedersen
United States
Oxford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
gkrywusha wrote:
The article should have been retracted.

I've just re-read it. It did not state anything untrue. Police took reports, and it cites the reports they took, and the actions they took in response to those reports.

It should not be retracted. Instead, they should write an update and link to the update from that article to tell people about how charges have been dropped/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
gkrywusha wrote:
Yes, Ani is helping with customer support for ST.

Can we please get past that article? That episode did not in any way impact UnBound Games or Christopher/Ani. The article should have been retracted.

Lol right, I'm sure being arrested for multiple felonious acts has absolutely no impact on a person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.