mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Christmas Day or Christmas Eve?
Christmas Day
Christmas Eve
Other (explain in the coments)
      113 answers
Poll created by agentkuo

If you open like 1 on Christmas Eve, but the rest on Christmas day, then choose Christmas Day.

Apparently some strange people open their gifts on Christmas Eve, before Santa actually has a chance to deliver them. If that's the regional tradition, I understand, but if not, why would you open presents on Christmas Eve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both. Christmas Eve at my dad's house and Christmas morning at home. And then again with the in-laws some days later. If anyone wants to take my place at the in-laws PM me. Please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and Yes!

We will open extended family gifts on Christmas Eve at my folks house with all of the kids and nieces, and nephews, and some adult gifts we do through a secret Santa exchange.

Christmas day back home, we open the Santa delivered gifts, and other gifts still under the tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever we feel like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Growing up we used to do the "one on Christmas Eve, the rest on Christmas morning." Often the Eve present was a game, so we'd have something new to play that night.

Now with extended families and their extended families, we've moved to a Christmas Eve format. Even that can be a scheduling headache, but we still manage to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered Other. On Christmas Day we open presents at my parents with extended family.

For those presents where it is just between the 4 household members (me, wife, our 20 & 24 year old kids), we do it Christmas Eve. Why put all that stuff in the car and haul it both ways?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
Yes!
we are opening our "jammie" boxes, which I think is going to be a little tradition for us. Everyone gets a new pair of pajamas, and our son gets a new DVD and some snacks. Then we all put on our new pajamas and watch the new DVD together (Miles From Tomorrowland is this years pick).

We do this too. Just for the kids though. Our movie is Disney Christmas Carol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay kiddies, Here are the rules of the household.

1) Only presents from friends and family go under the tree before Santa's visit. All of these must be wrapped and kept under the tree.

B) Each family member can select ONE gift from under the tree to open on Christmas Eve.

III) This gift may be opened and used/worn/played with, from after dinner until bedtime.

d)If it can't be taken to bed with the recipient (e.g. pajamas, stuffed toys, etc) it is returned to it's under tree location until the morning.

Cinco) Xmas Morning!!! No gifts can be opened until both parents are awake and properly caffeinated. (edit: Stockings can be emptied, but no candy before breakfast)

Zeta) Any gifts from others in the family that are home, or will be home before Jan. 6 (Twelfth Night, Epiphany, Dia de los Magos) are not opened until the giver and recipient are home together. Otherwise they can be opened Christmas morning.

111) Any foodstuffs that are unwrapped (E.g. cookies and baked goods from neighbors and co-workers) are kept in the kitchen, and are fair game to all.

***All rules subject to parental override***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Apparently some strange people open their gifts on Christmas Eve, before Santa actually has a chance to deliver them. If that's the regional tradition, I understand, but if not, why would you open presents on Christmas Eve?

I chose "Other" because we did both. When I was still living at home with my family (I'm the oldest of four children), we would open our presents to each other on Christmas Eve. Then Santa would bring a few more gifts Christmas morning. Each of us was required to use our lawn-mowing or baby-sitting money to buy one gift for each of the others in the family, even if it was something small like a fob for car keys. These were each individually wrapped and labeled and placed under the tree.

Our Christmas Eve stuff was usually practical items -- new gloves, wallet, socks, shirts, etc. -- while Santa brought mostly toys. Gifts from Santa were placed in four "piles" in different parts of the living room (where the tree was) so each child had their own gifts all together. My parents rotated who got the one "big" Santa gift each year, which was usually a new bike, as someone was always outgrowing theirs. The rest of us still got nice things, but these were normally small-to-medium "toys", although we each usually got several.

Oh, and Christmas morning was when our stockings got filled: usually an orange in the toe, some chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil (Hanukkah leftovers?), a mini-book of Lifesavers, some hard candy, and sometimes a tiny toy (like a yo-yo or something similar) on top.

My parents kept doing "Santa" until my youngest brother (who is 12 years younger than me) was in high school, I believe. When he finally asked if we had to keep doing it, our mom was disappointed. She loved doing that and had kept it up for about twenty-five years. At that point at least two of us had moved out on our own (my sister had been married for 4-5 years) so we cut back to just doing the Christmas Eve thing.

(Edited for clarification.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
As a kid we always opened presents on Christmas Eve (after the nightmare-hallway of a church service that would never end) with a couple non-wrapped Santa presents on Christmas Morning. I think this is a Minnesota Lutheran thing? I dunno, but that's the region my people fled from...

Maya Girl is a Christmas Morning kid, with all Santa presents wrapped, so this lead to some tradition-wrasslin' in our home, which settled out to Xmas Eve gifts at my parents', then home to wrap Santa presents while I flop uselessly and complain the whole time, then opening the badly-wrapped Santa presents on Xmas Morning.

As for the church thing, for the last 20 years we've been going to the local Unitarian Universalist solstice celebration where there's drumming and belly dancing—church as church should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My in-laws get all their kids and grandkids together on Christmas Eve and open presents. Then each kid can each spend Christmas morning with their own families opening the rest of their presents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a child, we were allowed to open 1 present on Christmas eve, but the remainder Christmas morning.

As an adult, I opened all our presents on Christmas morning (minus an occasional family event) until we were parents. We did a sorta 12 days of Christmas once we realized that our son, if he opened all of them at once, wouldn't enjoy each present but only 1-2. That stayed until he was older & didn't have many smaller presents. Now, we just try to open them based on family events, and if that falls on Christmas, that's when we do it.

wf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So before my sister moved out, and we were younger, this is how it went down at our place:

Christmas Eve was nothing, no gifts, no stockings, no presents of any kind.

Christmas Day we would wake up, wake our parents up, sneak out to the living room to look and see if Santa had brought presents (of course he had ha ha), we'd go tell our parents to get up and that Santa came, but we'd have to wait until both our parents were up and ready to go (which always seemed to take too long).

Then we'd all open our stockings (my mom, dad, sister, and I all had stockings that we emptied out and opened the small presents inside). Stockings usually had small things like candy, gaga gifts, or hygienic gifts like toothbrushes and deodorant.

Then one of us, me or my sister, or my dad in later years, would "play Santa" and pass out the gifts from under the tree to everyone.

And then we would open presents one at a time in order from youngest to oldest. When we had dogs, we also took them into account for this, ha ha!

Then after we had Christmas with my family, later in the evening, my dad's side of the family would come over for dinner and we'd do another Christmas with them. But my dad's side of the family has this weird tradition of not buying you presents after you turn 18, which I always thought was weird, considering you're more likely to appreciate the gift then than when you're younger. Anyway, so now it's just like food and stuff for me. I don't care about the little kids.

And then the week after we would go up to my mom's side of the family (they live about 3 hours away) and have Christmas and New Years with them.

Some years my half brother and sister would come over and we'd have another Christmas just with them.

This year is a little different. We're still doing regular Christmas on Christmas Day, but my sister isn't visiting this year, unfortunately. So it's just me and my parents. We're having my dad's side of the family over on Saturday instead of Christmas Day evening.

And I'm not going up to my mom's side of the family this year (I don't like them anymore, and I'm hosting a New Years Party/Game Night this year).

We still pretend that Santa exists and brings the presents and stuff, even now that I'm 22. It's still silly fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids open their presents from grandparents and parents on Christmas morning. However, we're going to extend the Christmas season this year. There are 12 days of Christmas, after all, and we should celebrate throughout the season.

So we're going to hold back gifts from friends and non-present family members and let the kids open them later. This will lengthen the season and also prevent toy-overload on Christmas morning. When there's too much stuff, stretch it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
We open our presents and Santa gifts Xmas morning bright and early. Then we'll gather with extended family later in the day to exchange gifts with them. This year, though, we've not placed any gifts under the tree yet for fear our new puppy will tear the paper and chew the boxes. So out Xmas tree looks rather empty at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I can convince my wife to let me open them. I think the whole waiting is silly, the things can be used!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in France, it's usually at midnight on Christmas Eve. We do things the Welsh way however, on Christmas morning. When my youngest was a toddler, he would open one present, and refuse categorically to open any more. It put Christmas into perspective for us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a child we always opened gifts on Christmas Day. Santa gifts were NOT wrapped. My parents always had 1 or 2 gifts for each of us wrapped from them. Grandparents and extended family also had gifts for us from Santa that had been delivered to their homes.

I haven't gotten a wrapped Christmas present in over 10 years. My husband and I don't exchange gifts and I might get a check from my mom or other family member, but not wrapped presents.

My daughter still believes in Santa and gets her unwrapped Santa presents and filled stocking on Christmas Day. I always wrap a few gifts for her from my husband and I for her to open. It is a lot of work and mostly falls on me to plan, buy, hide, and then wake up in the middle of the night and stealthily put out in the living room.

I can't wait until she no longer buys into the fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Richardson
msg tools
I can't wait to see my gifts..so I open it on Christmas day..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Ann Harrison
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:

Cinco) Xmas Morning!!! No gifts can be opened until both parents are awake and properly caffeinated. (edit: Stockings can be emptied, but no candy before breakfast)

When I was growing up that was my parents' rule too -- we could dig into our stockings, but nothing else until Mom and Dad got up. We always had an orange in each of our stockings, and if we were hungry, we could eat that to tide us over until breakfast. I don't think we got candy, or at least, not much -- my mom was a dietician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also got oranges in our stockings. I found out later that this was my mother's way of keeping the toe of the stockings (knitted by our great-grandmother, who passed away when I was still a toddler) from tearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
In Sweden and Denmark at least it's on Christmas Eve. Why wait another day for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
In Sweden and Denmark at least it's on Christmas Eve. Why wait another day for it?

The idea is that Santa delivers them at night on Christmas Eve, so they're there in the morning for Christmas day.

In Sweden and Denmark, does Santa deliver presents on Christmas Eve Eve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Doomfarer wrote:

The idea is that Santa delivers them at night on Christmas Eve, so they're there in the morning for Christmas day.

In Sweden and Denmark, does Santa deliver presents on Christmas Eve Eve?

Yes. He often comes in person with a sack and deliver some of them at least.

Usually one of the grown-ups dress up (out to get the paper or walking the dog or something) or you get a neighbour to do it for you and return the favour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We open gifts on Christmas morning, though this year we celebrated Christmas a day early because I had to go to work on Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.