Subject: A few newb questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we tried our hand at Verville last night and completely botched the reinforcements order right out of the gate but still had fun. Like many newbs we have some questions!

1)broken units in melee are said to defend themselves, what do they use for firepower? We assumed the reverse side values.

2)a broken unit that cannot move in any direction without going closer to an enemy unit or off the map just sits still, is this correct?

3)Is a broken unit that does not low crael required to use all of it's movement to try to reach building/woods? I had a unit in a grainfield that could retreat back from enemies further into the field, bit the only path to a building was across a road in the open (interdicting fun!)

4)snake eyes is only a crit vs vehicles/guns correct?

5)Is a leader who fails ERL rediced to the next lower level, and if so how are levels tracked? Is 8-1 a step down from 9-1 or is it 8-0?

6)Do leaders suffer the + for self rally or only mmc?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
1) broken units need to attempt to withdraw from CC, and they get attacked at -2 for being broken and -2 for trying to withdraw. They don't fight back. Try not to get broken in CC.

2) As long as they aren't adjacent to an enemy unit, they can sit still.

3) I believe so. I'll need to check that.

4) Also a crit vs infantry (anything < 1/2 of the unmodified to hit will be a crit vs infantry, but always a 2 unless the 2 is the minimum required roll, in which case a second roll is required)

5) yes - look for the next best leader where at least 1 value is worse but none are better. 9-1 goes to 8-1.

6) yes, leaders also suffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
aiabx wrote:
1) broken units need to attempt to withdraw from CC, and they get attacked at -2 for being broken and -2 for trying to withdraw. They don't fight back. Try not to get broken in CC.

Incorrect. Nobody can withdraw from CC, units can only withdraw from Melee. And yes, broken units are required to withdraw from Melee with the penalties described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
So we tried our hand at Verville last night and completely botched the reinforcements order right out of the gate but still had fun. Like many newbs we have some questions!

1)broken units in melee are said to defend themselves, what do they use for firepower? We assumed the reverse side values.

2)a broken unit that cannot move in any direction without going closer to an enemy unit or off the map just sits still, is this correct?

3)Is a broken unit that does not low crael required to use all of it's movement to try to reach building/woods? I had a unit in a grainfield that could retreat back from enemies further into the field, bit the only path to a building was across a road in the open (interdicting fun!)

4)snake eyes is only a crit vs vehicles/guns correct?

5)Is a leader who fails ERL rediced to the next lower level, and if so how are levels tracked? Is 8-1 a step down from 9-1 or is it 8-0?

6)Do leaders suffer the + for self rally or only mmc?

Thanks in advance!

This is the way I understand the rules

1. I believe broken units can only defend (full FP) and must attempt to Withdraw from melee or be eliminated/captured
2. Broken units may not remain in open ground within normal range and in LOS of known enemy units
3. Routing units must rout towards the closest woods or building hex (even if overstacked or contains concealed enemy units)
4. Snake eyes may result in Cowering if no leader was directing fire
5. Units that cannot be quality reduced (SMC and crew...) are Disrupted
instead
6. Self Rally +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roundhill wrote:
aiabx wrote:

Incorrect. Nobody can withdraw from CC, units can only withdraw from Melee. And yes, broken units are required to withdraw from Melee with the penalties described.

Ahh withdrawing isn't in the SK rules. No wonder we were confused. My wuestion still stands though, what do you use for the broken squad's firepower in order to determine the FP ratio for the unbroken attacker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Ahh withdrawing isn't in the SK rules. No wonder we were confused.

You're posting in the main ASL forum. This question should be moved to the ASLSK forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Roundhill wrote:
aiabx wrote:

Ahh withdrawing isn't in the SK rules. No wonder we were confused. My wuestion still stands though, what do you use for the broken squad's firepower in order to determine the FP ratio for the unbroken attacker?

Gotcha - use the squads unbroken firepower for calculating the ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,for the help! We had lots of fun even with our questions. I can honestly say I've never encountered a system that handles morale/cadualties the way ASL does, and I find it refreshing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Roundhill wrote:
aiabx wrote:

No kidding? Man, there is always something to learn in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zartan Madinski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Roundhill wrote:
aiabx wrote:

But there will rarely be broken units in CC since they would normally have routed away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it's so rare..

It's a good idea to fire into a MELEE location, especially, if you have higher ML than your enemy... OR he has a stack of units READY to break...

I do it ever chance I can get.
IF you break them both...it's likely you can cut his exit choices from the hex in the MPH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zarmao wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Roundhill wrote:
aiabx wrote:

But there will rarely be broken units in CC since they would normally have routed away.

It takes planning. Getting adjacent while concealed or out of LOS will do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zartan Madinski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roundhill wrote:
Zarmao wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Roundhill wrote:
aiabx wrote:

It takes planning. Getting adjacent while concealed or out of LOS will do it.

You'll often have broken units in CC because they got hit with a Banzai or a berzerker charged in. Or even because they got frozen by an AFV in bypass and then broken.

But because it's still CC they can rout away even with an enemy unit in the same hex. In fact, I believe they HAVE to rout away or be eliminated for failure to rout.

Broken in melee is a different matter. They can't rout away and have to try to withdraw

A lot of newer players don't understand that they have to rout away during the rout phase when under a CC marker and falsely believe that they have to stick around for the actual Close Combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
>But because it's still CC they can rout away even with an enemy unit in the same hex. In fact, I believe they HAVE to rout away or be eliminated for failure to rout.

Not just an "enemy unit" -- it has to be a Known enemy unit. If the enemy unit is concealed, the broken unit will just sit there (unless it's marked DM for some other reason). (Which is another point to remember -- you can't rout unless you're marked with a DM counter.)

Note also that at Night broken units are never eliminated for Failure to Rout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is why I put it in the full ASL forums, to get all the good commentary and rules I will have to learn down the line too ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks, [Retaking] Verville is an SK1 scenario. Are the poster's questions intended as an ASL or ASLSK1 level questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edelrio wrote:
Folks, [Retaking] Verville is an SK1 scenario. Are the poster's questions intended as an ASL or ASLSK1 level questions?

A little of both While I am starting with the SK scenarios, we will be working into full rules so knowing what is coming is helpful too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.