Imperial Settlers: Atlanteans» Forums » Rules

Subject: Common locations?.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If i want to add the atlanteans just as a new faction i take the 30 basic cards but do i add the common locations too?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Rickett
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't believe so. If you want to play with the Atlanteans expansion, then you add the expansion's common locations to the common deck and the other factions' Atlanteans cards that are available for deckbuilding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So each faction deck should be 40 cards not 30?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Rickett
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is still 30 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If i add the other factions cards the faction decks are 40...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
If i want to add the atlanteans just as a new faction i take the 30 basic cards but do i add the common locations too?..

If you want to play with the Atlanteans just as a base faction, then you use their 30 card deck. I'd be inclined to agree with trickett and go with no for adding the additional common cards to the common deck.

As you are not playing with the Atlantean 'expansion' you do not add the additional cards to the other factions decks. If you want to do that then for this expansion you need to deck-build, and at that stage you then definitely mix in the common cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When one player plays the Atlanteans, some of the cards of the other players (read factions) need to be replaced. This is described in the rulebook and an example is the Old forest for the Enchanted forest (I think). These replacement cards are the same only add a technology to the production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koolin wrote:
When one player plays the Atlanteans, some of the cards of the other players (read factions) need to be replaced. This is described in the rulebook and an example is the Old forest for the Enchanted forest (I think). These replacement cards are the same only add a technology to the production.

This only needs to be done if you are adding the Atlantean expansion cards to the faction deck/common deck (ie are playing with the expansion and are deck-building). If you aren't deckbuilding, then the re-vamped basic production cards don't need to be replaced as the other basic factions don't have the ability to use them with out the expansion common locations.

To quote this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1457266/using-atlantean-fac...

trzewik wrote:
Base game variant:
30 base Atlanteans vs 30 base Romans (or other faction).

Expansion variants:
30 Atlanteans deckbuilt with WCWBF exp versus:
- Romans deckbuilt with WCWBF cards expansion or
- Romans deckbuilt with Atlanteans expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Precisely what I was saying, you can do it without a player playing the Atlantean faction (as I did yesterday, as we were too lazy to separate the cards from previous game). This is also fun and gives some additional strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So no exstra common locations and no 40 cards faction decks right?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No quite, there are common cards in the Atlantean expansion which you can (read need) to add to the common deck.

If you do deck building (which is the default option) you will not have 40 card decks, but 30. Although you have 40 cards for the Atlantean faction (30 basic and +10 for Why can't we be friends) and 50 for the others (30 basic, +10 for Why can't we be friends and +10 in the Atlantean expansion). (Am not 100% certain on the numbers)

Or do I misunderstand your statement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So if i want to play with the atlanteans i take their 30 cards,add the common cards to the common deck and thats it?..that way the only use of the new tech the other factions gets is from the common deck right?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
So if i want to play with the atlanteans i take their 30 cards,add the common cards to the common deck and thats it?..that way the only use of the new tech the other factions gets is from the common deck right?..

That is one option. The other option is just to take their 30 card deck, and add no new cards to the common deck.

Without deckbuilding the former gives the Atlanteans an edge, while the latter makes it a little bit harder for them. Given that they are quite a strong faction, esp if left alone, I would recommend not adding the common cards unless you want to deck-build (the atlantean expansion cards) with one of the other factions - this also has the added advantage of not having to worry about splitting out the extra cards afterwards.

I have been trying to get an clear cut answer to this, but without too much success. [see above]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not try that, but also was not able to win a game with the Atlanteans either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget three cards for each regular faction merely replace some cards of the basic deck, so it's 7 new cards per Faction in Atlanteans, not 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.