PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion includes 15 cards, 1 monster, plus 1 extra ship per clan.

Each clan begins the game with one ship. When a player plays a ship upgrade, their clan's extra ship is added to their reserve.

Age 1

Fjords! (quest) - 5 GLORY - Have the most combined STR in all fjords. If completed, raise one of your clan stats by 1.
Kraken (monster, squid) - STR 2 - This monster counts as a ship. When this monster invades a fjord, destroy all enemy non-monster figures in it.
Lord of Sails (leader upgrade) - STR 3* - *Costs no rage to upgrade. Your leaders may invade fjords; when they do they count as ships.
Njord's Chosen (mystic upgrade) - STR 2* - *Costs no rage to upgrade. Add 1 mystic to your reserve. Your mystics may invade fjords; when they do they count as ships.
Skadi's Displeasure (battle) - STR 1 - Figures in fjords do not count their STR in this battle.

Age 2

Aegir's Revels (ship upgrade) - STR 2* - *Costs no rage to upgrade. When called to battle, you may move your ships from other fjords to a fjord adjacent to the province being pillaged, if any, at the cost of 1 rage per ship moved.
Fjords! (quest) - 7 GLORY - Have the most combined STR in all fjords. If completed, raise one of your clan stats by 1.
Njord's Domain (ship upgrade) - STR 2* - *Costs no rage to upgrade. When you march from a province, your figures in the adjoining fjord may also be moved.
Skadi's Venom (battle) - STR 2 - Revealed cards with "Loki" in the name are discarded without effect.
Viking Fleet (ship upgrade) - STR 2* - *Each pair of your ships in a fjord is 5 total STR.

Age 3

Dragon Prow (ship upgrade) - STR 3 - Your ships are now 3 STR.
Fjords! (quest) - 9 GLORY - Have the most combined STR in all fjords. If completed, raise one of your clan stats by 1.
Gefjon's Plow (ship upgrade) - STR 2* - *Costs no rage to upgrade. Your ships may occupy provinces destroyed by Ragnarök as if they were fjords.
Njord's Gloom (battle) - STR 3 - Only ships count their STR in this battle.
Sea Reavers (warrior upgrade) - STR 1 - Your warriors may invade fjords; when they do they count as ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ships from the Beowulf the Movie board game make suitable ships for use with this expansion.

The kraken from the Cyclades board game makes a suitable monster for use with this expansion.

Photo by Kelly Fischer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it. And if you are looking for opinions...

ironregime wrote:

Kraken (monster, squid) - STR 3 - This monster counts as a ship. When this monster invades a fjord, destroy all enemy non-monsters figures in it.

He is the exact same as the sea serpent but way better, so perhaps make him 2 or 4 str instead. 2 since its an age 1 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddpark75 wrote:
I like it. And if you are looking for opinions...

ironregime wrote:

Kraken (monster, squid) - STR 3 - This monster counts as a ship. When this monster invades a fjord, destroy all enemy non-monsters figures in it.

He is the exact same as the sea serpent but way better, so perhaps make him 2 or 4 str instead. 2 since its an age 1 card.

Good call. Changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:

Fjords! (quest) - 9 GLORY - Have the most combined STR in all fjords. If completed, raise one of your clan stats by 1.

And before you ask, no, I will not rename this card to "Pining for the Fjords."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giordano Segatta
msg tools
Very interesting! It would certainly make the fjords more strategic and it seems it's well integrated with the base rules and with the Mistics.

Just a question: why not a Kraken in Ages 2 and 3 too? If my opponent gets it in Age 1 I would have the possibility to counter him in some way.
...and it's nice to think about krakens fighting each others sorrounded by broken ships

However: nice job, thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
I've felt all your expansions are well done and add new elements to the game play and appear balanced, though I have not played with any of them.
However, I think this card is the first to stick out as being unbalanced.
ironregime wrote:
Aegir's Revels (ship upgrade) - STR 2* - *Costs no rage to upgrade. When called to battle, you may move ships from any other fjords to a fjord adjacent to the province being pillaged.

This card plus the Kraken/Sea Serpent gives you 6/7 strength you can move to any outer battle with out limitations on villages. No other 2 card combo gives you this much utility in my experience. Not to mention the total cost of this combo is 2/3 rage.

Additionally, if you get the leader or mystic ship upgrade the total STR of this gets even higher for no cost. On the lower end of this combo, three cards cost 2 and provide 8 STR to EVERY outer call to battle, and on the high end provide 10 STR and cost 3.

I think to keep it balanced there should be a limit of 1 or maybe 2 ships that can march, not all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
Aegir's Revels plus the Kraken/Sea Serpent gives you 6/7 strength you can move to any outer battle with out limitations on villages. No other 2 card combo gives you this much utility in my experience.

I agree it is a strong combo. Whether it is stronger than some other combos remains to be seen. To balance it out, I suggest we add a 1 rage/ship cost to be called to battle, making it much less susceptible to infinite abuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some sample images of cards from this set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hansen

provo
Utah
msg tools
wow this expansion, this one is really cool to me.
I very much want more of this art! I would buy this expansion. Do you have advice for printing it? How can we make this a really thing??? Someone call Eric Lang
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hbenhansen wrote:
wow this expansion, this one is really cool to me.
I very much want more of this art! I would buy this expansion. Do you have advice for printing it? How can we make this a really thing??? Someone call Eric Lang

Thanks, Ben. I'm still gathering art for the cards. Stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jollum Trixter
Norway
Buvika
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should include some more dragonship upgrade variants in this set. Missing Ormen Lange...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Thornton
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UGH. Every time I see a new post from you I get sad on the inside that we will never see these cool cards in a official production. Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesús Chacón
Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PJ Cunningham, you and we need a graphic designer for your expansions!

Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
While I like the idea of involving the fjords more, an expansion like this would completely break the game, as the only viable strategy with it is to always get cards that give glory when ships are being destroyed. The combo potential is of the charts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolm wrote:
...an expansion like this would completely break the game...

LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abrahan Herrera
Chile
flag msg tools

Me encanta esta expansión! pero tengo una corrección.

Kraken (monstruo, calamar) - STR 2 - Este monstruo cuenta como un barco. Cuando este monstruo invada un fiordo, destruye todas las figuras enemigas que no sean monstruos.

Al Kraken le cambiaría de STR 2 a STR 4. Y lo pasaría a la Edad 2.

Saludos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.