Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: Cryptozoic Entertainment is hiring a Marketing Manager rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Dub
msg tools
The ideal candidate will have game industry experience.

Please send your cover letter and resume to Jobs@Cryptozoic.com.

http://cryptozoic.com/manager-marketing

-----
Job Title: Manager of Marketing
Department: Marketing
Reports to: COO 

We are looking for an amazing marketer to own the overall marketing strategy and initiatives at Cryptozoic. You will report directly to the COO and manage a team of marketing individuals, as well as public relations agencies, and off site contract labor. You will both lead the overall marketing strategy and vision along with assisting with the tactical execution including content, media planning, social media and events. You will be responsible for providing the strategic roadmap and contributing to marketing effectiveness by identifying short and long term strategy.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Develop content strategy, video strategy and web strategy.
Manage content, media planning and social media.
Develop reports to present Return on Investment (ROI) to management.
Work across multiple departments to optimize campaigns, improve processes and analyze results.
Collaborate with senior management to strategize, execute and analyze market and campaigns.
Manage team of marketing individuals.
Ensure marketing deadlines are met.
Support the Sales team with relevant sales material and presentations.
Work across multiple departments to improve processes, optimize campaigns and analyze results.
Manage individuals on the marketing team including mentoring, monitoring and appraising job results.
Work with advertising agencies in regards to specific programs which need outside marketing and promotional support
Consumer and trade show year round programs, including guidance with exhibit booth elements
Ensure marketing deadlines are met.
Meet financial objectives by forecasting, preparing annual budget and scheduling expenditures.
Possess the ability to think in terms of business management including demonstrating cost effective ways to increase productivity, manage expenses, etc.
Demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills.

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Must have a BA/BS degree; MBA preferred.
A minimum of 5 years of marketing experience preferred.
Must have complete understanding and working knowledge of Excel, Word, Powerpoint.
A love of pop culture is a huge plus.

RESUME
Please send your cover letter and resume to Jobs@Cryptozoic.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about trying to make better games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

Agreed, I'm sorry to say.

Many of the Cryptozic IPs sell themselves with little effort. It's the quality of the game design for those IPs that need more attention and will ultimately boost sales.

Spend less money on marketing, and more money on the products themselves.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

Don't people really like Spyfall?

That said, somewhat stupid response. Whether you like it or not, marketing is important, now more than ever in an increasingly saturated market. Releasing good products does matter, of course, but those good products do not sell themselves currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
matthean wrote:

That said, somewhat stupid response. Whether you like it or not, marketing is important, now more than ever in an increasingly saturated market. Releasing good products does matter, of course, but those good products do not sell themselves currently.

Even your own example disagrees with you, I think. Spyfall sold more due to it's reputation than to any marketing done by Cryptozic. It shows that a good game does sell itself; especially if there's not a popular IP behind it.

Marketing is a good thing, but making a quality-designed game is more important in the board game hobby market. In mass-market, the reverse is true.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of marketing is making a good game. You're confusing marketing with advertising. Marketing is a total package branding effort that includes advertising and product development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
matthean wrote:

Yeah, we really want to market the crap out of these bad games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but there is a reasonable chance that Cards Against Humanity has sold more (and brought in more money) than your top 10 games combined. Almost certainly the top 5.

"Quality" (as judged by BGG) is not necessarily the end all be all of success.

EDIT: Softened my rhetoric. Want to make sure it's clear I don't have hard numbers and am, admittedly, guessing based off my knowledge sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People always shoot for the moon with these job descriptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
bobcatpoet wrote:

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but Cards Against Humanity has probably sold more (and brought in more money) than your top 10 games combined.

Their marketing is brilliant ... but wouldn't work for most companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Apply for the job, and work for change from within.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
bobcatpoet wrote:

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but there is a reasonable chance that Cards Against Humanity has sold more (and brought in more money) than your top 10 games combined. Almost certainly the top 5.

EDIT: Softened my rhetoric. Want to make sure it's clear I don't have hard numbers and am, admittedly, guessing based off my knowledge sales.

I don't think we're having the same conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:
bobcatpoet wrote:

I don't think we're having the same conversation.

Possibly. My point is just that that, marketed well and sold to the right audience, "bad" games can be hugely successful.

So yeah, you still want a competent marketing manager even if your product blows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just because I work in marketing (albeit from an analysis side) but almost every company that needs to sell their product (basically everyone) has a Marketing manager or at least a consultant to liase directly with someone. I imagine this a replacement hire, not a new job. Not having the position filled would have zero bearing on the quality of games being released. In fact, better mm's means more exposure of the hobby and therefore better for everyone in the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.