Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romans are the most basic faction in the game, the easiest to pick up and understand, the most straightforward.

After looking through the deck, and playing several games with them, I can't seem to find one dominant strategy with them. They just seem all around standard.

Are there any "broken" strategies available to them like there is with the Japanese Faction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally you're looking for a heavy build strategy, which the Romans excel at:

Grab cards from the center that give you rewards for building or for having buildings of one color. Focus on worker production and card draw, since the Romans are so expensive. Try and get your Legionnaires out ASAP and then focus on cards that give you a reward for Roman buildings. Save Trading Posts for late to get the maximum benefit from their 3 colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan, Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Romans are the most basic faction in the game, the easiest to pick up and understand, the most straightforward.

After looking through the deck, and playing several games with them, I can't seem to find one dominant strategy with them. They just seem all around standard.

Are there any "broken" strategies available to them like there is with the Japanese Faction?

I've found that it's best to hoard cards for the first three rounds and put out a Warehouse to stockpile goods. Play a few pink settlement buildings to get population in order to buy as many faction cards as possible. Play watchtowers and castles - draft these above all else.

In round four you want to establish a point scoring infrastructure by building all the administrations possible as well as any other point scoring buildings.

From there the Romans can accelerate into a massive building project in round five where they build most if not all of the cards in their faction deck. With correct sequencing it is possible to gain more resources than it costs to build each building and set off a combo that scores a lot of points in the process.

It's best to wait until round five because by then you have claimed your final production from your basic buildings and they have no further use other than to pay the building cost requirement of your faction deck cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And remember that Temple of Rah + Royal Swimming Pool, destroy the Rommans, because they can gain control of all Administration.

So you need to destroy Temple of Rah the moment it's played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
How do you destroy the Temple????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:
n

With Engineers, if I remember the correct name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aztarun wrote:
KingAnus3 wrote:
n

With Engineers, if I remember the correct name.

Yes, they are called Engineers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.