Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine has all the Dungeon Command sets. We have played my copy of Castle Ravenloft before and enjoyed it. I'm eyeing ToEE now, because it sounds awesome with the campaign system and all and like the possibility to be able to integrate DC into the game.

So, I ask, how is the best way to do so?
I certainly need to fully read the rules again, if we play, but as far as I remember, you draw encounters randomly from the pool and including DC would just make the pool bigger. Where there different kind of levels of monsters and with that pools to draw from (I don't remember)?
My concerns are that with adding "cool monsters" from DC into the pool, you might hurt yourself, by making the game tougher than it would be ("also I don't want it the other way around, making it a piece of cake by just adding flimsy monsters).
Also, I fear with adding too many DC Monsters to the pool I fear the distinct flavor of ToEE might get lost.
Also, besides the monsters, are there other things from DC you can take over to the adventure system games?

So, what would you recommend to carry over and what to leave out?
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
option 1.. just pick 3 new monster card to to deck..
( as dungeon command critters dont come in x3s.. i feel this is like adding an extra monster type..(pick a 1 xp a 2 xp a 3 xp) Sub rule maybe.. card with the DC icon activate as the same monster type?, theme wise this sub rule i feel if i get the spider and a drow it feels like a trained or charmed spider and keeps the general difficulty the same as if a 2 goblins cards would activate together )

option 2.. swap out a creature from base game with a creature of same xp

(simple and gives some varietys)

option 3.. add up the xp total of monsters from base game..
make a new deck of monster that equal the same xp cost..

i think if you dont count monster as individuals and count them as 3 of kind. you generally get xp total of about 30 to 34xp from each base set

option 4 just mix em all in ..

option 5 just randomly pick 1 4 xp monster to mix in

option 6 i like this one.. monsters from different DC sets target each other like heros.. .. this give the dungeon some flavor,, you know when you turn and run from an umber hulk and the dark dwarf sentry gets eaten :-)

i'd had a few ideas at using outdoor tiles and using a tabel to generate rooms using the larger tiles.. i don't feel i've got anything good or polished to publish just fun tinkering with ideas though

e.g i made a table of all the dC tiles im gonna keep this simple as in a D4
1 goblin1
2 goblin2
3 cormyr 1
4 cormyr2

when opening a door roll on table get that tile.. or next lowest unused tile.. add a chest to that tile.
cool thing might be when the new tile is cleared 1 of bonus gain X health back.. as its a safe place to sure up and rest for a moment.
(X is number of tiles the room size was so 2 or 3...) to counter the sudden appearance and battling of more then 1 monster with DC possible higher XP monsters

option 7.. when opening doors..(or on named tiles) keep dc monsters separate when opening doors draw from the DC monster deck..

option 8 when a rule/card other then the general tile and exploring tells you to add a monster add from the DC monster deck instead

option 9 Bounties (extra treasure) notorious bandits of DC monster X have been seen in the area.. there hides fetch a fair price
if you have a DC monster in your XP pile at the end of the game they are worth 50gp per xp level.( means not cashing them into clear encounter cards)
(sub rule play those monster cards face up in the monster deck as you can "track them" see when they might appear..)
you can even call this a town action.. e.g push your luck how many new +xp monster do you want to face?)

option 10 when you lose a quest in the campaign random add 1 dc monster (maybe per player defeated) card to the monster deck.. to show the monsters have repopulated or the little skirmish has created a power rift and new monster are entering the area..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Amaral
Brazil
Recife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:

option 6 i like this one.. monsters from different DC sets target each other like heros.. .. this give the dungeon some flavor,, you know when you turn and run from an umber hulk and the dark dwarf sentry gets eaten :-)

Someone created an Environment Encounter card with a similar effect (monsters with different types attack each other), I guess it was called Animosity. Have you seen this card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knaife wrote:
Milarky wrote:

Someone created an Environment Encounter card with a similar effect (monsters with different types attack each other), I guess it was called Animosity. Have you seen this card?

I created that card, although it was actually based on Milarky's idea originally, but I loved it so made it into a proper card. It's in my deck now!

Here is the post with the card:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18438453#18438453

If you scroll down there are two other environment cards which have different effects if Dungeon Command monsters are in play. Might also be of interest to the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Amaral
Brazil
Recife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! I had seen them once and then I forgot where they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.