Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
13.3.1 Primary Union Supply Sources include "Coastal Ports" which is an undefined but which I've been assured means Ocean Ports: anchors in squares. (Why didn't the rules just say "Ocean Ports" then?)

So if USA controls an Ocean Port with access to open Ocean it has Primary Supply there.

But what about places on coast without Ocean Ports? Prima facie they automatically have Union Full Supply because they're adjacent to the Ocean, which is a Union Navigable Waterway, as per 20.1.2 and as per 13.4.3 Rail/River/Navigable Waterways as amended by the Errata. But that is not so. Such places (except Union controlled Coastal Forts which automatically have Full Supply under rule 10.3 bullet five) must still trace a Supply Path to a Primary Supply Source.

EDIT: The new map out-of-the-box does put Ocean Ports at Atchafalaya Bay, Ship Island, Hatteras Inlet, Roanoke Island, Fernandia, Brunswick GA. In the Geek Image map above here on this website those places are not marked with anchor-insquare Ocean Ports symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatteras and Ship have the ocean port symbol.

The others must trace, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coastal forts, 10.3.2, 5th bullet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coastal ports are covered in 13.3.1. Coastal ports includes both coastal ocean and coastal river ports. The difference isn't relevant to supply, it applies to how you would amphibiously invade it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By which you mean you can only Amphib Invade a River Port with River Movement. I suppose you could also Amphib Invade an Ocean Port using River Movement, by hugging the coastline or by coming on it from upriver or some combo thereof.

If you use Sea Movement you can only Amphib Invade at an Ocean Port

It does seem the difference is relevant to Supply, if the term "Coastal Port" means only Ocean Ports, as I've been told, though not by you. If that is so, then only Ocean Ports are Primary Union Supply Sources under 13.3.1., and River Ports on Coastlines are not Primary Union Supply Sources. A Navigable River and a Coastline could both be part of a River Supply Path to an Ocean Port.

Is any coastal hex in Union Full Supply by Sea as long as it has unobstructed access to the Ocean? My answer is, not always. To trace Supply out to Sea, Union units in non-Ocean Port coastal hexes must be able to trace a Coastal Supply Path free of anything which could obstruct Type II Navigable River Movement or a Type II River Supply Path: Enemy Forts, Batteries, or Naval units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the FAQ

20.2.1 Coastal Ports: the mapboard says “Coastal Port” but the rules say “Ocean Port”--they mean the same thing.

So I dont think it includes coastal river ports, and everything you just wrote is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.