Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently won this game in a raffle I entered. I'd like to learn how to play but don't know anyone who could teach me. The game is beautiful, but I'm having a heck of time trying to get through the rules. I've never played any of the No Retreat titles so a bit of a newbie...though I own and have played a handful of wargames over the years.

Any suggestions on the best way to learn this game? I know it is new but I could sure use some help (videos, advice, etc). I don't know anyone who could teach. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
I recently won this game in a raffle I entered. I'd like to learn how to play but don't know anyone who could teach me. The game is beautiful, but I'm having a heck of time trying to get through the rules. I've never played any of the No Retreat titles so a bit of a newbie...though I own and have played a handful of wargames over the years.

Any suggestions on the best way to learn this game? I know it is new but I could sure use some help (videos, advice, etc). I don't know anyone who could teach. Thanks!

I understand your pain. Sorry about the apparent complexity but it was needed for that theater. blush

There will be some new video tutorials released soon, if not one good best way (besides time and patience) is to find a kind soul who knows the system and can tech it to you. The best way is to start with the first game of the series No Retreat! The Russian Front, or its even simpler first incarnation No Retreat!: you'll learn the basics easily. Sadly these games are now out of print, but will be back on the market next year.

If you are familiar with this kind of thing, those games have computer "Vassal" modules that you can download for free and play (the rules of the games are also available as free downloads on BGG or GMT Games).
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stuka Joe is working on a video tutorial for this game. I don't know when he'll be finished but if you have time to wait he's the best there is when it comes to explaining these kind of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuka Joe? You should have him drop me a line then as I taught the game to my son over the summer and have a ton of insight into how to teach it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

I understand your pain. Sorry about the apparent complexity but it was needed for that theater. blush

There will be some new video tutorials released soon, if not one good best way (besides time and patience) is to find a kind soul who knows the system and can tech it to you. The best way is to start with the first game of the series No Retreat! The Russian Front, or its even simpler first incarnation No Retreat!: you'll learn the basics easily. Sadly these games are now out of print, but will be back on the market next year.

If you are familiar with this kind of thing, those games have computer "Vassal" modules that you can download for free and play (the rules of the games are also available as free downloads on BGG or GMT Games).
meeple

Thanks for the reply. I know writing rules must be super challenging. Seems like a lot of wargames jump straight into exceptions and rules that build on rules that have yet to be explained. So it takes several passes through before many of the points make sense and the game begins to click for me. I guess it is a tradeoff between being easily referenced versus learning from step zero. That said, it is a beautiful game and I can't wait to give it a try. I'll keep checking back for the tutorial videos. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan.... this game is pretty detailed. Set up the mini game, operation Husky. The playbook will tell you where to put everything. There is also a detailed example of play covering Husky.

Than just start the first turn and go step by step through the sequence of play. It will be slow going at first and it might take a few tries, but it's worth it. These games have a flow to them that comes together after some work.

And wow it's worth it!!! The mini game alone is fun and i can't wait to move on to Diadem. Italian Front is an awesome addition to NR, but i started with Russian Front. It's easier. Still, i think the key is to set the game up and actually put it through it's paces and physically do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah is GMT reprinting No Retreat 1 already Carl? That would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:

Indeed, the reprint is slated for next year. GMT recentme told me to deliver the latest game files in the 1st Quarter of 2016; so that means the game should be available late summer or early autumn.

The NR1 rules will be tightened yet again, I have asked for player input on the BGG page of the game. Plus I am redoing all the cards for ease of play, making the wording consistent with the other games plus adding the "memory aid" icons. A few "troublesome" cards will be slightly modified.

Before anybody ask: an "upgrade kit" will be offered (cards & rules) for those that already own the game. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint?! Goodness, had no idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bsets wrote:
Reprint?! Goodness, had no idea

Order often, please:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-444-no-retreat-the-russian-front-d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, is the plan to release No Retreat 3 around the same time? That would be quite a cool month!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
Just curious, is the plan to release No Retreat 3 around the same time? That would be quite a cool month!

This is the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
dawson_osu wrote:

Indeed, the reprint is slated for next year. GMT recentme told me to deliver the latest game files in the 1st Quarter of 2016; so that means the game should be available late summer or early autumn.

The NR1 rules will be tightened yet again, I have asked for player input on the BGG page of the game. Plus I am redoing all the cards for ease of play, making the wording consistent with the other games plus adding the "memory aid" icons. A few "troublesome" cards will be slightly modified.

Before anybody ask: an "upgrade kit" will be offered (cards & rules) for those that already own the game. meeple

Good thing you covered that base Carl, super excited to know I'll be able to just order an upgrade kit. You the man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

...and here's the link to Stuka Joe's comprehensive walkthrough:

http://youtu.be/Y05mvNm2Yms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.