Miguel GarcĂ­a
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
Oh-la-la!
badge
Evil Inside
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the red disease to go, and there's only one red cube on the board, in the same city the Medic is standing. Another character researched the red cure.

The Medic automatically removes the cubes of cured diseases in the city he/she is in, even out of turn. According to that, he would remove the last red cube at the same time the cure is researched and the disease has been erradicated.
But the rules also state that the game ends as soon as the objectives are met.

My understanding is that since both things happen automatically, the two of them actually happen. But some people in my group think they the game ends before the last red cube is removed. We are unable to agree and we would welcome some clarification (or at least more opinions) on this whistle

These are, word by word, the "conflicted" rules:

Rulebook page 6:
Quote:

If a disease has been cured, he automatically removes all cubes of that color from a city, simply by entering it or being there. This does not take an action.
The Medic's automatic removal of cubes also happens during other players' turns.

Medic card:
Quote:

Automatically remove cubes of cured diseases from the city you are in.

Rulebook page 14:
Quote:

You win as soon as you meet the necessary number of objectives. The game ends immediately, even if it is the middle of a player's turn or a series of outbreaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the rules are conflicted. Automatic doesn't mean immediate, so it seems clear to me that the game end prior to the removal cube removal and eradication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The treatment (and eradication) happens automatically. I'd consider this an instantaneous effect since no action is required.

Since both effects are instantaneous, I'd consider the disease eradicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Thanks - I think this also answers my question from a fortnight ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:
The treatment (and eradication) happens automatically. I'd consider this an instantaneous effect since no action is required.

Since both effects are instantaneous, I'd consider the disease eradicated.

Well, there you go. Straight from the source. I have a tendency to err towards a stricter and more difficult reading of the rules.

Regardless, I stand corrected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.