Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: aos [+] [View All]
Paul Glenn
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Mayfair's annoucement about the new version of AoS, and I wonder how it'll compare to the old one. Some of the rules changes make me wonder--for instance, it says they're getting rid of income reduction and turn order bidding. Could end up being a very different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the new game already has an entry and is being discussed on that page:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1314159

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/149209

But please don't take this as a chastising. We all have our front pages configured differently and we don't all see the same active articles. I just didn't want you to miss out on the debate if you're interested in the reactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/149209

But please don't take this as a chastising. We all have our front pages configured differently and we don't all see the same active articles. I just didn't want you to miss out on the debate if you're interested in the reactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
pfglenn wrote:
I read Mayfair's annoucement about the new version of AoS, and I wonder how it'll compare to the old one. Some of the rules changes make me wonder--for instance, it says they're getting rid of income reduction and turn order bidding. Could end up being a very different game.

Yeah, I think someone was spot-on when they suggested this be called "Age of Railroad Tycoon"... :-)

Doesn't look very promising to me. I'll stick with the one I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lightnng wrote:

I find it very promising - it will have loads of new tiles to be used with my old game. And it will have at least one new map! And it will have rules that easy enough to play with kids and non-regular players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
lightnng wrote:

I find it very promising - it will have loads of new tiles to be used with my old game. And it will have at least one new map! And it will have rules that easy enough to play with kids and non-regular players.

And perhaps, if we all beg and plead, it will have a modular map! Then I won't have to sell a kidney for 20,000 leagues under the sea. Are there any other modular expansions out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
craniac wrote:
And perhaps, if we all beg and plead, it will have a modular map!

I'd be very surprised if it did. They development and testing effort for modular systems is far higher than for fixed systems. I doubt that either Mayfair or Martin would want to invest that level of expense in a niche game.

Quote:
Then I won't have to sell a kidney for 20,000 leagues under the sea. Are there any other modular expansions out there?

Asides from the question of how well that particular map ruleset works as a design (I think it has problems), there's also Lajos' DIY system which can be used for making modular maps as well as Richard Irving's system for home grown maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
lightnng wrote:

Yeah, I think someone was spot-on when they suggested this be called "Age of Railroad Tycoon"... :-)

hmmmm....

hmmmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that Glenn/Eagle had to spend real money on securing the "Railroad Tycoon" name for a boardgame. If Mayfair followed the same path in choosing a name, there would be more than one potential claimant in the resulting lawsuit.

Glenn - I think that someone was joking. The Mayfair game is more likely to be called "Age of Transamerica"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.