Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Skinner
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has interpreted a few rules, and I want to check we are doing things correctly.

Unless the wording of the action says otherwise, you can try them a few times, right? For example, if you shout "save me!" and get the wrong response, you can shout it again and get the correct response. I appreciate some of the cards won't allow for this, for example, those that say you need to confirm that an action card was traded for the card received.

Nearly everybody asks me if it is legal to convert the binary string into decimal or even hex and say the number. I always say no because then you could arguably express it in base x and just say "10". I assume the only legal thing to say is of the form "one one zero zero...".

It would be great if the cards had identifiers. At harder levels, being able to refer to a card as "Death 2" for example would be helpful, not to mention conversations and these posts.

Death "Make sure that someone trades.." : Because this card refers to "this doom count", I take it that you have to complete this action in the doom count during which this card is traded, so it is an automatic failure if you receive this card after the first three seconds? ie. You have to line up two trades within the first three seconds of a doom count to trade this card.

Death "Stop anyone trading until.." : Because this card refers to "the doom count", I take it to mean that the action can be completed in any doom count where nobody trades until the last three seconds.

If these cards are traded at the same time, do you get a (player created) lock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Retrying is fine unless an action card says otherwise (as long as you've got the time).

No it's not legal to convert it. I guess picking another language in which 'one' and 'zero' are shorter words to say would be an edge case. It might already be converted, I remember at one point we were talking about hiding a message in the game and running it through some sort of conversion to get the binary number but I can't remember if I got around to doing that.

There are codes in all of my games and I've forgotten most of them

Hmm, my instinct is "no identifiers", generally groups will generate their own and I think that adds to the game. Even if its "That f--king one". On the other hand it would allow someone to more easily identify which card was missing if they lost one and I needed to send them a replacement. I'll think about it. Though I need to think fast, we're going to print soon!

From memory (without the benefit of my work notes), typically you'd try to trade it for "It's Coming" or set up a double trade and do both immediately after someone else trades "It's Coming" It might be kinder to change it to "The next doom count" though. Has it been a problem for you for it to be this way? I don't remember it being a serious issue in playtesting, but I'm always open to more feedback.

In fact it sounds like you're playing a lot so if you want to drop me a generalised thoughts and feelings at some point it might help me on decisions I'm vacillating on

The 'stop trading until' should be 'from the moment you receive this card until...' so there's no opportunity to restart the action if it goes wrong.

If those cards are traded at the same time you've effectively got a game over. We had one game that started with those cards being traded for each other. Communicate then trade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skinner
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could put longer identifiers in the corners in small text. Perhaps that would achieve both objectives?

The problem with the two Death cards is that their wording is slightly different, and it isn't clear to us what the consequences of those wording changes were. I think we can handle any configuration, but the "this doom count"/"that doom count" difference made us a bit uncertain.

My general feeling is that with consistent wording and rulebook clarifications where necessary, it will be fine. Very locky cards can be frustrating, but they require forward planning and create their own challenge, distinct from the other cards, so I wouldn't want to dampen that. The constant switching of concerns is one of the key pleasures of the game, in my opinion. But to work around locky cards, it needs to be particularly clear when they lock (and therefore what needs to be done to avoid them). Perhaps go through every single card and compare its wording to every other card?

Now I type this, I realise that it is another reason identifiers were missed: every time we wanted to discuss a card we had to find it in the deck and put it on the table. It's not the end of the world, but it is awkward for people who are used to cards having titles.

I am happy to share more thoughts on the game if you nudge me as to what you are looking for. In general, I don't know if I can think of any game that has produced so much laughter and intensity at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skinner
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked my group, and they do not like the idea of easy identifiers. They think it would remove a fun part of the challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.