Matt Sears
United States
Adrian
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the last 2 summers I've successfully turned Diplomacy into a classroom game for summer school. Big map on the wall, big construction paper A's and F's taped to the map. Groups of 3 or 4 playing parts of the countries, 2 or 3 turns a day for a week. Works great.

But I need 2 or 3 more like it. I've used Executive Decision as well, but it gets a more mixed reaction from the kids.

Any other ideas of games that take a few hours to play, played by 7 or so, and could easily be adapted to the classroom (not a lot of bits)?

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Thor Wagner
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
No one wants to mess with an irate aquatic rodent!! Angry Beavers Clan of Canada
badge
FIOR GO BAS
mbmbmbmbmb
How about King Maker? It does have a few more bits to it but it will also teach them about how to interact with other Lord to pcik a king. Pehaps you cold adapt something like TranAmerica or one of the other Railroad games. That would probably work.

My 2 pennies.
Thor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a heavily stripped down version of "Republic of Rome" in a classroom environment (6th grade Social Studies) which was pretty successful. It's nice because you can assign each individual child their own "role" as head of one of the major families of Rome; the political factions tend to form on their own, based on common interests and above-game friendships, so you're not really imposing anything on the kids from the outside in that respect. If you're interested in more detail, check out the "Republic of Rome" thread on ConSimWorld where I posted an AAR.

I also know that some folks have experimented with the old AH "Origins of World War II" (not a great game, but not bad and you could probably get through a full game with the kids in no more than a day or two). Another game that I'm pretty sure has been used in classroom setting is SPI's "A Mighty Fortress," which is about the wars of the Reformation.

Finally, if you're really daring, you could try the ultra-expanded version of AH's "Civilization." It uses the basic AH "Civilization" game and their 'official' Western Map extension, and then adds a whole new map out to the east (as far as India). There's a website with most of the stuff you'd need to play it available for free download (a google search for "Advanced Civilization Expansion Project" should locate it). The game accomodates something like 16 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stocks and Bonds works wonderfully in the classroom, just make a price chart on a transparancy and copies of the securities review sheet for each team. Up to ten teams can play, few bits, usually takes me three 50 minute class periods to run.

Executive Decision works much better without teams IME.

Sis Sackson's A Gamut of Games includes rules for Origins of WW1, which replaces the mapboard from the AH game with a chart and seems better suited for large groups than the WW2 boardgame. I have not actually run a game in class, though, maybe somebody on BGG has?

I might be able to think of more if I knew more. How do you make your giant boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sears
United States
Adrian
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used an overhead projector to trace it onto the paper that comes on the big rolls. Had to do some taping to make it big enough. It wasn't the prettiest but did look pretty cool with the letters on it (punched out with elison). I can't find the pic I had. Maybe I'll take a new one this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic ideas, folks.
I'm in the middle of teaching a unit on Canada's Links to the World, specifically Trade, and I was wondering how to use a big world map and gaming rules to make some interesting lessons.
Keep up the ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I wrote this up last week... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/386460

The best part of Dip is that it's essentially free, all the resources to play it, including rules and a million variant maps are available on Dip Bounced and other various websites.

Otherwise, assuming the kids can handle a scaling up in complexity, the only game that even remotely approaches Diplomacy is Here I Stand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those, can anyone remember what game I was playing times, right now. In seventh grade history class we played a game that I think simulated a triangle trading economy. Basically, we all had resources and needed resources, and none of us wanted or could supply direcly the resources of another country, so we had to make three way trading deals - and the group that traded the best/most would win. I'm thinking avalon hill based on the square, printed chits and the age of the game, but I'm not sure what game it could have been.

It was fun (for seventh grade) and taught us the concepts of the triangle trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lifeboats-definitely could work, pieces are arbitrary, everything according to vote (plays to 6, but it would be easy to add a boat and slot)
Fearsome Floors-some custom work to make big pieces but also possible (already plays to 7)
Santiago-possible but more difficult to pull off (plays 5, the implications of adding two plays may not be worth it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sears
United States
Adrian
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to my own question, I have put together a larger verions of Mall of Horror, and we played Junta both with the map (kind of a hassle) and without (much easier). Those were both pretty successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.