Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this mission about 5 or 6 times and I cannot figure a way to attack or destroy the soviet tank and the bunker(let alone attack the artillery) without suffering very heavy losses(which force me to give up).

The last time I played it I just moved my units in the village, searched the houses and exited the map as soon as possible.
All that with some heavy use of smoke from the pionniers.
But playing this way as made the firefight boring.

I have not played it as a stand alone mission and I cannot see how(with the low number of units) the germans can go for the bunkers and artillery.

Anyone knows how this mission is supposed to be played to make it interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This mission is a bit different from the others because you have a lot of freedom about how far you go with it. The two general strategies are to ignore the bunker/artillery, get cards, and leave with as many units to support mission 3 with, or sacrifice your units to take out the bunkers to make mission 4 easier.

It is a bit of a filler mission that is more about how you want to set up the future missions. If you want a lot of interesting action though, I would suggest sacrificing your Units to take out as many defenses as possible. Just ignore getting cards and go straight in for an attack. You will get lucky if you get one Unit off.
Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the answer!
Yes, attacking the bunker is more fun than just run away, but damn this is hard.

I will replay the campaign soon and go for the bunker/artillery even if I lose all my units. Capturing the soviet tank also is very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Bolanos
msg tools
I'm currently playing this FF. I already cleared the village without taking losses. My plan is to leave a LMG and rifle unit behind fightning off russian reinforcements while moving my pioneer unit into the stone building facind the fortified positions. I took fire from the russian units until the became spent and I know plan to move my LMG and a rifle unit in a captured truck towards the heavy woods next to the hill. Once I'm there I'll change my rifle unit into a pioneer (i have the required card for it) and attempt to neutralize the fortifications with my flamethrower. It should be fun no matter what happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
maedhros wrote:
I have played this mission about 5 or 6 times and I cannot figure a way to attack or destroy the soviet tank and the bunker(let alone attack the artillery) without suffering very heavy losses(which force me to give up).

The last time I played it I just moved my units in the village, searched the houses and exited the map as soon as possible.
All that with some heavy use of smoke from the pionniers.
But playing this way as made the firefight boring.

I have not played it as a stand alone mission and I cannot see how(with the low number of units) the germans can go for the bunkers and artillery.

Anyone knows how this mission is supposed to be played to make it interesting?

Aha. I came here to post something very similar after playing for the first time, Danick.

I sent all five units into the village and cleared it of the two AIs in no time. Then we searched 6 of the buildings and got some new units and, more importantly, two "Mark Spent" action cards. I loaded an LMG onto a truck (b/c it was closest), marked some Russian units spent -- including the T34 who had taken position on top of the hill -- and made a run.

With some good rolls, the LMG was not discovered and they made it to the control markers. I thought I'd try to move the Tank Hunters with the Tellermine down south but the time track started flying.

So instead, it was time to get everyone the hell off the board -- but they didn't make it in time and the scenario ended with only one German unit off the board.

Gunter wrote:
This mission is a bit different from the others because you have a lot of freedom about how far you go with it. The two general strategies are to ignore the bunker/artillery, get cards, and leave with as many units to support mission 3 with, or sacrifice your units to take out the bunkers to make mission 4 easier.

This makes sense to me now as I didn't think I had time to do both.

Quote:
It is a bit of a filler mission that is more about how you want to set up the future missions. If you want a lot of interesting action though, I would suggest sacrificing your Units to take out as many defenses as possible. Just ignore getting cards and go straight in for an attack. You will get lucky if you get one Unit off.
Gunter
Academy Games

Definitely have to try that sometime. The T34 keeps moving to the top of the hill (still within 4 of the wagons) which makes crossing that ground even more impossibler, heh. Seems to me you need to commandeer those trucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I had a completely different experience (my 3rd play). I sent three units into the village and sent two (Pioneers and LMG) to skirt the eastern edge of the board down south. I had them constantly facing east to be ready for any Russian rifle units that generated via the event track. Unlike my first games, the RR units did not generate for several turns this time. Eventually, two did but they each rushed my units (on a Move Towards) and gave me short range shots; I was able to take them out.

I had to suffer one shot from the gun (or MMG, whatever) on top of the hill but the Pioneers first laid some smoke. The shot missed by 1. Then my Pioneers flanked the bunker, laid on two CAPs and took out the unit and the bunker. The T34 came up to see what was going on but immediately flipped. The Pioneers and the LMG ganged up to attack the T34 from the flank. It worked.

Long story short -- I ended the scenario with two bunkers destroyed, both artillery (control markers) destroyed, a captured T34, a Tank Hunter, a Pioneer, an LMG, and 2 captured trucks exited off the map. Oh, and 3 cards.

If you can get down that eastern side of the board without two many problems from Russian rifles and then lay some smoke with the Pioneers, you can get on top of that hill. Since those bunkers can't pivot, it's relatively safe. Well, assuming you neutralize the T34, of course.

Point is, I found the mission a lot more interesting by sending those two units down south.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt. Winters
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
OK, I had a completely different experience (my 3rd play). I sent three units into the village and sent two (Pioneers and LMG) to skirt the eastern edge of the board down south. I had them constantly facing east to be ready for any Russian rifle units that generated via the event track. Unlike my first games, the RR units did not generate for several turns this time. Eventually, two did but they each rushed my units (on a Move Towards) and gave me short range shots; I was able to take them out.

I had to suffer one shot from the gun (or MMG, whatever) on top of the hill but the Pioneers first laid some smoke. The shot missed by 1. Then my Pioneers flanked the bunker, laid on two CAPs and took out the unit and the bunker. The T34 came up to see what was going on but immediately flipped. The Pioneers and the LMG ganged up to attack the T34 from the flank. It worked.

Long story short -- I ended the scenario with two bunkers destroyed, both artillery (control markers) destroyed, a captured T34, a Tank Hunter, a Pioneer, an LMG, and 2 captured trucks exited off the map. Oh, and 3 cards.

If you can get down that eastern side of the board without two many problems from Russian rifles and then lay some smoke with the Pioneers, you can get on top of that hill. Since those bunkers can't pivot, it's relatively safe. Well, assuming you neutralize the T34, of course.

Point is, I found the mission a lot more interesting by sending those two units down south.

Agreed, the FF is so much more interesting when trying to take out the bunkers, artillery and tanks. Works great as a stand alone game.

I just have to remember that the Pioneers can use smoke, as I tend to forget that. In this scenario it will be very usefull indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.