6 Posts

XenoShyft: Onslaught» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hive Expansion + Post FAQ 05/2015 Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
Hi All!

First off, sorry for the size of the post, but I've gotten a pretty large group going on this game and many have picked it up for Christmas so a lot of questions popped up. Thankfully, we went through the FAQ with a fine tooth comb and we think these are pretty valid questions:

1.) Void Mine is placed as an item, whereas the Med Bot is deployed as a troop and can be equipped. In any case, we treat both as troops while in lane - as such, does damage prevention cards and scout drones work on both the Med bot and void mine - (including damage prevention abilities)?

2.) When going against the Mimic's reveal effect, if the first zone had a troop and a void mine in it, does the reveal effect send both the mine and troop to the back of the lane? Or it just the affected troop, then the void mine stays and no advancement? If the void mine was alone, the void mine swings towards the back?

3.) Havok, Drone and similar cards with "IF" wordings. In the absence of phrases like each time, and etc, we looked through all the cards with similar wordings and figured that they were not expected to last more than just one fight. However, in rare cases they do and manage to kill at least 2 troops. Following the FAQ, it ruled that the Drone's ability can only be triggered once if true - it is not a looping if statement. As such, does this apply to all other cards with similar wording for the sake of consistency?

We're really a small blooming fan club of the Xenoshyft series, so any comments about the actual design intent would be great as we want to do more than just have a good time - but to actually really beat the original design of the game.

Thank you!

*Christmas Brainstorming update: Would it be simpler to just consider a void mine that's occupying a zone with a troop as equipment of that troop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You could play these to prevent the Med Bot from dying and/or triggering the Void Mine.

2. (Man I really regret making the Void Mine... Least worded as it is: See "Gun Drone" fixed wording in Dreadmire ). The Mimic would send the Troop back, leaving the mine. If the mine were alone, it would be sent to the back (Yes, I will admit this is wonky, but to avoid... other rules issues, Void Mine should be treated as a Troop).

3. Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryxius Courgette
msg tools
Hello,

I don't think Void mine was a bad idea.
I love this card and I use it as soon as I can.

I don't understand your sentence : "triggering the Void Mine"

Do you mean that we can trigger the void mine with an attack ?
How can we trigger void mine in our lane without ennemies ?

Thanks

And good job for that game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryxius wrote:
Hello,

I don't think Void mine was a bad idea.
I love this card and I use it as soon as I can.

I don't understand your sentence : "triggering the Void Mine"

Do you mean that we can trigger the void mine with an attack ?
How can we trigger void mine in our lane without ennemies ?

Thanks

And good job for that game

Void Mine activates when it or the Troop in its zone suffers damage. If you prevent that damage, Void Mine wont trigger and blow up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryxius Courgette
msg tools
Ok thanks for reply.
But thematically it's difficult to imagine we prevent damage from void mine with a med bot or med pack :/

In the iPad game, it's impossible to use pulsar shield or bio enhancer on void mine !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
Hi Michael!

Thank you so much for replying and sorry for the late reply!

This insight just helped us go through another great session!

Even though the Void Mine is a bit troublesome with its wording, we're all appreciative of how you tried to enhance an already complicated network of cards!

We love it even with its little quirks, and further let's us appreciate the process! We've also backed the Dreadmire Kickstarter campaign, and totally looking forward to using the Gun Drone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.