The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Are there any male jedi charscters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Quimbey
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Is it kind of vexing to anyone else that there isn't a male jedi in the base box, or any expansions released as of yet (that I can see)? It really frustrated me because by and large the playerbase is men and it sucks to not have the most iconic class in star wars at least have someone of both sexes, much less one that the majority of the player base would choose to play with. I dont know. I'm not being sexist. I just think it's kind of asinine.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
given the low hero count till now, they just had some choices to make, besides jedis are supposed to be pretty rare in general.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Tobias Hatting
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's only one force sensitive hero in the game and she is not a fully trained jedi. A fully trained Jedi would not make thematically sense as it would way more powerful than the other heroes.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Luke, and there's Vader. I know that's not quite what you mean, but still — 2 out of 3 in the box ain't bad, is it?

I figure women waited 38 years to have a female Force user in the Star Wars movies who was actually a character (aside from Leia and her occasional intuition) — right up until last week. And they still managed to enjoy it in the meantime.

So I'm not vexed. I'm just fine with letting the guys sit the cool Force powers out this time around.
39 
 Thumb up
1.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no more upset by there being only a female force user than I would be by there being only a male force user. When I'm playing a game the gender of the character I'm playing means nothing to me. I don't want game creators to feel pressured to create a male character just as I don't want them to feel pressured to create a female. I want them to create the game they want to create and I'll enjoy that ride with whatever options they provide.
19 
 Thumb up
0.08
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
coffeedude wrote:
...it sucks to not have the most iconic class in star wars at least have someone of both sexes...


The irony is strong with this one...
30 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you can use the Sky Lukewarm figure with the female Jedi stats? whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no issue playing Diala, she's awesome.

If you are hang up on she being a female, copy her stats and make yourself a man version. If you look at the files section, you may find one made already.

Lack of Gender Choice for Character Classes is a Deal Breaker
Custom Character and Dashboards
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
coffeedude wrote:
Is it kind of vexing to anyone else that there isn't a male jedi in the base box, or any expansions released as of yet (that I can see)? It really frustrated me because by and large the playerbase is men and it sucks to not have the most iconic class in star wars at least have someone of both sexes, much less one that the majority of the player base would choose to play with. I dont know. I'm not being sexist. I just think it's kind of asinine.


Dia is a female Jedi. She's a main character. There's also Jyn, a female smuggler.

Both are competent characters worth playing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morrison
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asinine is incredibly too strong of a word to describe anything like this. This is an incredibly large game with infinite room for expansion. There are more malenheroes and characters than female, yet you're seemingly upset with an aspect that has zero impact on gameplay or theme.

As others have pointed out, there are three force users: only one is a female. I don't see what the big deal is. Diala is an interesting character with fun abilities. The only thing asinine about this entire line of thinking is that someone's enjoyment level is lowered because of such an inconsequential issue as this.

Edit: You say you're not sexist, but your line of thinking exactly fits the definition: stereotyping or discriminating on the basis of sex.

Essentially, grow up and widen your perspective, sir.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you can't identify with the fact that it's a girl. But you're totally cool with roleplaying a Twi'lek?

16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Blair
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To everyone ripping Fred to shreds on this, calm down. He's a male. He identifies as male.

If you are having SJW fits about this, an easy way to look at it is it's a form of sexual preference. He prefers to play as a male.

All that being said, Fred, don't completely discount the game due to the only Jedi being female. Females are bad ass warriors that will mess your day up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a hint for discourse in general:
If you feel like you might need to qualify your argument by inserting the phrase "I am not sexist" then you might be better off rethinking your position.
21 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to play as a female wookie...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
bu11Dawg wrote:
To everyone ripping Fred to shreds on this, calm down. He's a male. He identifies as male.

If you are having SJW fits about this, an easy way to look at it is it's a form of sexual preference. He prefers to play as a male.


It's not an RPG though. You're not really meant to identify with your character. The character backgrounds are very vague and the personal missions give the barest hint of a story, and there's nothing beyond that.

A preference is fine, but letting it put you off the game is silly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bu11Dawg wrote:
If you are having SJW fits about this, an easy way to look at it is it's a form of sexual preference. He prefers to play as a male.

He also projects his views and own preferences on everyone else and uses this made-up fact as a justification.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
coffeedude wrote:
much less one that the majority of the player base would choose to play with. I dont know. I'm not being sexist.


But read the thread I posted earlier to avoid going through it again.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you can't play a game with a not-like-yourself character (whether sex, religion, sexual orientation, vocation, education, race, favorite hobbies, music they listen, etc.), then do something about it yourself by printing the alternate character sheets.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
I just want to play as a female wookie...

That's already been done. Fairly simple to do too...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1306414/saga-gaarkhana-wook...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as a small taste of what women gamers go through all the time. Except when you do get to play a male character, it's not likely to be oversexualized.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis S
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't play Gaarkhan because I am not a wookiee and cannot relate...
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just give it time, there will be male and female representations of all the archetypes.

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Here's a hint for discourse in general:
If you feel like you might need to qualify your argument by inserting the phrase "I am not sexist" then you might be better off rethinking your position.


And here is a hint for life, in general. If you can't be intellectually honest, don't interject yourself into a conversation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coffeedude wrote:
Is it kind of vexing to anyone else that there isn't a male jedi in the base box, or any expansions released as of yet (that I can see)? It really frustrated me because by and large the playerbase is men and it sucks to not have the most iconic class in star wars at least have someone of both sexes, much less one that the majority of the player base would choose to play with. I dont know. I'm not being sexist. I just think it's kind of asinine.


Fred, you are 100% correct, but don't expect to get an intellectually honest response, in public, in 2015. Everyone is so terrified of telling the truth, they would rather lie and say nonsense than be perceived as non-PC. You can sniff it out when their answer degenerates to attacking you, and somehow justifying it with two wrongs equalling a right. As if you, Fred, have persecuted females, so you, Fred, have no right to want to do something as simple as play a game as a male character. It's ok, and in fact required, for women to be represented. But instead of making both options available, as you desired, you are supposed to keep your mouth shut. Because, as we all know, the fact that you want to play as a male character means (logically of course) that you DON'T think women should be able to play as female characters.

Roll over on your belly...because here come all of the fake white knights to tell you how disgusting you are.

And pre-emptively, I am not angry, don't really care about this topic (though I do think it's funny that in order to be inclusive, that somehow now means excluding others), but the responses you see above make me want to pull my hair out of my head for the utter predictability, and insincerity.

Carry on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbaz77 wrote:
coffeedude wrote:
Is it kind of vexing to anyone else that there isn't a male jedi in the base box, or any expansions released as of yet (that I can see)? It really frustrated me because by and large the playerbase is men and it sucks to not have the most iconic class in star wars at least have someone of both sexes, much less one that the majority of the player base would choose to play with. I dont know. I'm not being sexist. I just think it's kind of asinine.


Fred, you are 100% correct, but don't expect to get an intellectually honest response, in public, in 2015. Everyone is so terrified of telling the truth, they would rather lie and say nonsense than be perceived as non-PC. You can sniff it out when their answer degenerates to attacking you, and somehow justifying it with two wrongs equalling a right. As if you, Fred, have persecuted females, so you, Fred, have no right to want to do something as simple as play a game as a male character. It's ok, and in fact required, for women to be represented. But instead of making both options available, as you desired, you are supposed to keep your mouth shut. Because, as we all know, the fact that you want to play as a male character means (logically of course) that you DON'T think women should be able to play as female characters.

Roll over on your belly...because here come all of the fake white knights to tell you how disgusting you are.

And pre-emptively, I am not angry, don't really care about this topic (though I do think it's funny that in order to be inclusive, that somehow now means excluding others), but the responses you see above make me want to pull my hair out of my head for the utter predictability, and insincerity.

Carry on.


Amazing how you can read the minds of others and know that people are being "intellectually dishonest". Shocking even. How did you come about this unique skill?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbaz77 wrote:
Carry on.

How did any of that help the OP with his issue?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
jasonbaz77 wrote:
coffeedude wrote:
Is it kind of vexing to anyone else that there isn't a male jedi in the base box, or any expansions released as of yet (that I can see)? It really frustrated me because by and large the playerbase is men and it sucks to not have the most iconic class in star wars at least have someone of both sexes, much less one that the majority of the player base would choose to play with. I dont know. I'm not being sexist. I just think it's kind of asinine.


Fred, you are 100% correct, but don't expect to get an intellectually honest response, in public, in 2015. Everyone is so terrified of telling the truth, they would rather lie and say nonsense than be perceived as non-PC. You can sniff it out when their answer degenerates to attacking you, and somehow justifying it with two wrongs equalling a right. As if you, Fred, have persecuted females, so you, Fred, have no right to want to do something as simple as play a game as a male character. It's ok, and in fact required, for women to be represented. But instead of making both options available, as you desired, you are supposed to keep your mouth shut. Because, as we all know, the fact that you want to play as a male character means (logically of course) that you DON'T think women should be able to play as female characters.

Roll over on your belly...because here come all of the fake white knights to tell you how disgusting you are.

And pre-emptively, I am not angry, don't really care about this topic (though I do think it's funny that in order to be inclusive, that somehow now means excluding others), but the responses you see above make me want to pull my hair out of my head for the utter predictability, and insincerity.

Carry on.


Amazing how you can read the minds of others and know that people are being "intellectually dishonest". Shocking even. How did you come about this unique skill?


He's obviously a male force user.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.