Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both editions, I find that I like the 1rst edition condition of a team not being able to win if one of its members is last on the VP-track, much better than the 5VP penalty in the 2nd edition.
It requires more teamwork to win the game. Would it work to use the 1rst ed winning condition whith the 2nd edition?

We bought the 2nd ed because the 1rst ed had too many small rules for it to get played with our friends, but I am a little disappointed with the game play. There is little moving around as people tend to stay in the city they started out with. Games strategy seems to be to get ahead of all the other players by obtaining neutral points as fast as you can and ending the game quickly, taking the 5 VP penalty if needed, before the others catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Spanish rulebook included a variant using the last player's team loses and we always use it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Rameau
France
flag msg tools
I faced the same concerns with this rule change in second edition. The other changes are not too much of a problem (I detailed my thoughts in another thread (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1445651/my-concerns-game). Reverting to the "last loose it all" rule gave me back the same feelings as first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GabiGames wrote:
There is little moving around as people tend to stay in the city they started out with.

We had that problem for the first few turns until we realized that we needed to remove all influence cubes from the city we were in after a card gets purchased from there. That rule had us moving around a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently we play with variabele endrule-conditions in a 4 player game.
If teams turn out to be 2v2 we apply the 1st editon end rule condition that a teammember cannot win the game if his/her fellow-member is last on the scorin track. If it turns out to be a 1v3 game, we apply the new rule of subtracting 5 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raúl Arrese
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mb
I have played like 5-6 games. I agree with previous posts on that
- it is quite obvious in some turns who is who, my fellow players at least are not good hidden agents :-)
- game tends to end too early. When you actually are starting to get hands-on it ends. I think the duration should go towards 100-120min to grasp a little bit your deck combos and feel the theme of the game.
- I had 2 games where this was even worse, due to a restaurationist
player going mad by a combination of bad luck with an royal assasination, and a "nocturnal nightmares" card used by a loyalist. It was quite frustrating.

I will try the rule of losing the game if your equipment of >1 player has some member as last player in the VP track. We tend to go to our individual objectives if not.

To avoid an early end due to the restaurationist beign mad, Might may be used some penalty like negative VPs, lose agents/influence or something instead of ending the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.