23 Posts

Splendor» Forums » General

Subject: Splendor or Jaipur - which one should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
VJKRGN KL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Been checking out these two games for a while. What I like about these two games are that they are both simple filler games with lovely components and cards. But in terms of gameplay and replayability and fun factor, I'm not quite sure which one scores over the other. Views and opinions welcome. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, if I were to get one I would say Splendor because of the added flexibility of playing up to 4 players, it scales really well between 2 player to 4 player and plays quite fast at every player count. Jaipur is a great game but I find myself pulling out Splendor much more often these days, while I haven’t played Jaipur in a few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gubisi Róbert
Hungary
Székesfehérvár
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is only for 2 players, solid game for couples. Splendor is nice game for 2-4 players. Both are great, your choice would be dependent of players' number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I would drill it down to player count first. Given the fact that both are cool games, I would prefer Jaipur over Splendor normally if only two player are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got the the iOS app for Splendor and have found it to be quite challenging and fun. I think having human opponents will make it even better, so I bought the boardgame and it was shipped out yesterday. Try the app if you can. I also have and like Jaipur, but only for two, so has to fight with all my other two player options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like both games, but I think Splendor is a slightly better game overall, especially since it plays up to 4. If you play with 2 players a LOT, then get Jaipur. Otherwise, Splendor will be a better investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the contrary, I would recommend Jaipur. In no particular order:

* Player number: Obviously, Jaipur only works with 2 players, whereas Splendor plays up to 4. For the latter, BGG suggest 3 as the optimal number of players, and I agree: With 4 players the game state often changes quite a lot between turns, so the game feels slightly chaotic - and with 2, each player has a fair number of options, so any blocking/screwage feels very personal and mean. In contrast, Jaipur is a 2p game, so all actions are expected to screw your opponent over, and that feels much less harsh.

* Time-to-play: Setup and cleanup-wise, both games are approx. the same.

* Art: I personally prefer the art in Jaipur over Splendor. The Indian theme is quaint, whereas the art in Splendor is a bit to the gloomy side. It depends on the audience, of course, but I think the cartoony art in Jaipur is more approachable.

* Theme: Although neither game is particularly strongly themed, I do kinda feel like I'm feverishly trying to strike a great deal at a crowded Indian marketplace. Splendor, on the other hand, is just mechanics and little else (for me).

* Portability: Jaipur is much more portable than Splendor. It fits into my backpack and even into the lady's purse. Splendor needs to be repacked into another container for portability. Moreover, Jaipur has the smaller table footprint of the two titles.

* Play time: Jaipur is a much quicker game. It nominally plays over 3 rounds, but you can obviously play as few or many rounds, as you wish. Splendor plays in ~30 min.

* Components: Both games have good components. The chips in Jaipur are cardboard and certainly not as nice as those in Splendor, but they are not poor quality. Both games have quality laminated cards, although I believe the cards in Jaipur are a bit thicker (and perhaps don't shuffle quite as well?). Both games have great inserts.

* Decision scope: This happens quite a lot in my group and I've seen others mention it here as well: Splendor is often played in silence. I guess it's because people are focused on figuring out what cards they can/should be able to afford. As far as I remember, each card has 1-4 values that you have to compare and keep track of during play, which can feel a bit overwhelming. I've heard people say that they play Splendor with a good bit of friendly banter, but I've never heard anyone refer to Splendor as a relaxing chit-chat game. On the other hand, when I play Jaipur I'm either chatting or at the edge of my seat - and oftentimes both in the same game - but I am never overwhelmed. I suppose it is a matter of transparency. Jaipur gives you fairly few options on your turn, and the consequences of your choices are straightforward. In Splendor, you have 12 cards plus nobles to keep track of, and although your options may be limited, they are not all immediately apparent.

* Feel: I just asked my SO which game she prefers. Her response was: "Why, they are different games, where you do different things. In Splendor, you build." (And in Jaipur, you shop.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for Splendor for the following reasons:

1 - plays with up to 4 players (Jaipur a 2 player game only)
2 - components are better / more enticing.
3 - requires more concentration i.e. offers a bigger "intellectual" challenge IMO

All in all, Jaipur is a nice game, cleverly designed, no question about it, but I got bored of it pretty quickly. Splendor is a richer game I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
vjkrgn wrote:
Been checking out these two games for a while. What I like about these two games are that they are both simple filler games with lovely components and cards. But in terms of gameplay and replayability and fun factor, I'm not quite sure which one scores over the other. Views and opinions welcome. Thanks in advance.

If you're in Mumbai, come to any of our meetups, both these games are usually being played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VJKRGN KL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone. So I summarise that it's either Splendor or both. Will check out few more videos of Splendor.

@holgerd - you make some very good arguments for Jaipur and if I end up buying both, I'd also have you to thank for the Jaipur purchase.

@nukeu666 - I live in KL. I'm a member at Meeples club but I just don't get to go there for play sessions. Thanks anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
I recently got the the iOS app for Splendor and have found it to be quite challenging and fun. I think having human opponents will make it even better, so I bought the boardgame and it was shipped out yesterday. Try the app if you can. I also have and like Jaipur, but only for two, so has to fight with all my other two player options.

Hope you buyit after the drop down at 0.99
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VJKRGN KL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I read somewhere that Splendor lacks strategic options to win. The designers have been known to show their surprise on how the players are focusing only on the tier 3 cards and totally ignoring tier 1 and tier 2 cards. Is this a broken game or players not knowing how to block opponents and effectively use the game mechanics to stop the opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have often recommended Jaipur as a top 2P game, but given this choice it's a no-brainer. Go with Splendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
vjkrgn wrote:
I read somewhere that Splendor lacks strategic options to win. The designers have been known to show their surprise on how the players are focusing only on the tier 3 cards and totally ignoring tier 1 and tier 2 cards. Is this a broken game or players not knowing how to block opponents and effectively use the game mechanics to stop the opponents?

It's not at all broken. Going for big cards is often very good but is not a universally winning strategy. I'm a pretty good player but I usually lose to better players especially when they go for smaller cards first and are able to grab a noble (bonus points).

Also, I'd like to note that I find Splendor to be best for 2. It's more skill-based because it's zero-sum, and the strategies are also a little more balanced. Splendor isn't a filler, either; it's a full strategic game. Depends if you're looking for something that'll really make you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Splendor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vjkrgn wrote:
Thanks everyone. So I summarise that it's either Splendor or both. Will check out few more videos of Splendor.

@holgerd - you make some very good arguments for Jaipur and if I end up buying both, I'd also have you to thank for the Jaipur purchase.

@nukeu666 - I live in KL. I'm a member at Meeples club but I just don't get to go there for play sessions. Thanks anyway.

Both is the best answer. They really are different feeling games. I will say that after all the research and videos I watched, I didn't really expect to like Splendor. I got it because I thought my gf would like it. I ended up liking it much more than I thought I would. It's simple to teach, but the decisions are still difficult. I'm no master at the game, but the game doesn't feel broken for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Splendor is by far the most replayable short light game I have ever played, 2p in particular. Own both Splendor and Jaipur, played mostly 2p with my wife. We've played Splendor hundreds of times. Only played Jaipur about 20 times, even though we've owned it much longer. Jaipur is a fine 2p, but it gets to feeling kind of 'samey' without much tension if we play it too often, as is the case with most light 2p games for us. Splendor, on the other hand, is still great, varying a lot from game to game. Pretty good with 3p or 4p too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonus: you can cuddle while playing Splendor, but Jaipur requires you to sit across from each other.
whistlekiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my 2 cents worth.

I own both games and my wife and I play Splendor a lot, but Jaipur has gone out of favor.

Jaipur can tend to get a little lopsided, and ohhh those darn camels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unsolvable Riddle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Jaipur for 2p. I think it plays quicker (even thinky players tend to play this one quickly). Don't own Splendor but plan on buying it soon-ish. Two excellent games, can't really go wrong.
Jaipur feels more interactive, there's usually table talk when we play it and for two thinly themed games the theme in Jaipur shines through at least a bit (minor point for me). Splendor feels more puzzly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
awl tell
msg tools
I like both games, but there is a little bit too much luck in Jaipur for my taste. Splendor is great for 2 to 4 players too. We are much more relaxed when playing Jaipur and talking a lot more. By contrast we are thinking too hard to say much when playing Splendor. It depends on what you like but, Splendor gets my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got both, love both. Get both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Splendor. Jaipur is fun to play sometimes, but it is a lucky fest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.