24 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this Game More Attractive Today? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Star Wars LCG is my To-Do list for a while now. First of all - I really enjoy the universe, secondly - I always enjoyed 'battle' games.
The reason I don't pick i up earlier was because I was quite invested in Netrunner (still am), and due to the mixed early reviews about the game.

Time tends to focus LCG games and fix some of the core issues. I'm wondering if the same has happen with Star Wars LCG? Is it a better game today? does it still have community or is it slowly dying? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going in as Netrunner alone is quite the money machine.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
Come to the dark side we got cookies.
mbmbmbmbmb
with all the star wars craze I don't think it'll die slowly, on the contrary it will get stronger with each passing month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
zebani200 wrote:
with all the star wars craze I don't think it'll die slowly, on the contrary it will get stronger with each passing month.

Yes, what made me consider it again was the latest movie hype. But I'm trying to make sure I'm going in for the right reasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Star wars Lcg was good after the second cycle was completed. Then there were enough cards to make diversity decks. So I would say that SW Lcg is doing fine! The games of thrones 2nd edition is gaining momentum, but it still needs some packs to be more diverce. Most bropably that two full cycles Also is needs for that.
One of my friends was not impressed about SW in the Beginning, but now the card pool is big enough so he can make decks that he likes. So he has adapted the game in 2015. The theme is there, and now there Are enough cards to really play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Star Wars is truly realizing it's potential. With the release of imperial entanglements, all factions now have strong options, and answers to the opponent. I have continued to enjoy Star Wars more and more as it has developed.

I've played netrunner, thrones 1st and 2nd edition, and wh:conquest and Star Wars is officially my favorite Lcg, I think it captures the most subtleties and reward good players more than any other constructed card game.

I think it is absolutely worth investing in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll be doing that extra step and get the core set. I couldn't find an official buying guide. Should I pick some force pack along the way? or the Core is good enough to get the hang of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll be doing that extra step and get the core set. I couldn't find an official buying guide. Should I pick some force pack along the way? or the Core is good enough to get the hang of the game?

I found the core-set to be pretty fun to get started but then I got spoiled by all those force packs and lack of time to play this game enough. hope this will change soon... whistle

I for one would welcome a good and practical multi-platform online form of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Howland
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for purchasing, you will want 2x core or 1x core and 1x Edge of Darkness to learn mechanics. These are also the only boxes that require more than a single purchase (you need 2 of each).

Otherwise, you could start with the deluxe boxes to get a really decent base to play.

-2x Core
-2x Edge of Darkness
-1x Balance of the Force (least important of the list here)
-1x Between the Shadows
-1x Imperial Entanglements

Balance of the Force includes pre constructed decks that are designed for 1 player to play against multiple opponents. It also includes 6 individual objective sets that can be played in the standard game. Of them, the Jedi and Navy ones see the most play (quite frequent in the current meta), followed by Rebel and Scum, and lastly Sith and Smugglers.

The Between the Shadows deluxe box is really important, as well as Imperial Entanglements.

Otherwise, I would advocate picking an affiliation and asking what the most important cards are and buying the expansions that have those cards. As an example, almost every Jedi deck has objective set 112 in it (it has a really powerful version of Yoda). Many of the most important Rebel vehicle sets are in the first and last expansions of the Rogue cycle (and the first pack of the Hoth cycle). The most frequently used Sith objective sets are in the Core, with the other very important one being 104 (Mara Jade). IMO, the other factions have their most commonly used sets in the deluxe boxes.

Convoluted I know, but there again, I am no good at writing. Hope it was helpful.

Last note, if you would like to learn to play, I can teach you for free online and you will have access to all the cards. There are two programs - OCTGN and LackeyCCG.

Bottom line - buy the cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I'm a huge CCG/LCG fan. I'm a huge FFG fan.

As a counter to everyone else, this is my least favorite LCG, and I can't recommend it to you.

There are some mechanisms in it that are completely theme-breaking. It borrows from a lot of games, all of which do what this game does better.

The issues with the game are baked in and can't be fixed by expansions. On top of that, it didn't learn from the problems of the Decipher game and is started to feel the problems that did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is in a much better place than it was even a few months ago. The most recent errata fixed some bad judgements they had made in previous errata. on top of that, the card pool is getting to the point where you can make a strong deck in almost any faction. (Smuggler is currently the weakest, with Scum following behind...)

With the way the game is released, you can't make accurate judgement on card pool size based on number of cards. You essentially have to take the card pool and divide by 6, then realize that you're making a specialized deck of 10 cards, where the max number of repeats is 2.

So while this game has been out as long as Netrunner, you can't say that the card pool is about the same, because of the quirks of deck building in Star Wars. So, the fact that we're starting to see more cards released means that more variety will come around...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:
This game is in a much better place than it was even a few months ago. The most recent errata fixed some bad judgements they had made in previous errata. on top of that, the card pool is getting to the point where you can make a strong deck in almost any faction. (Smuggler is currently the weakest, with Scum following behind...)

With the way the game is released, you can't make accurate judgement on card pool size based on number of cards. You essentially have to take the card pool and divide by 6, then realize that you're making a specialized deck of 10 cards, where the max number of repeats is 2.

So while this game has been out as long as Netrunner, you can't say that the card pool is about the same, because of the quirks of deck building in Star Wars. So, the fact that we're starting to see more cards released means that more variety will come around...

I will just second all of this. But include that you are actually changing a larger chunk of your deck with the Objective Set system, so while the pool CHOICES seem limited, you are also changing 10% of your deck with each new objective set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I'm a huge CCG/LCG fan. I'm a huge FFG fan.

As a counter to everyone else, this is my least favorite LCG, and I can't recommend it to you.

There are some mechanisms in it that are completely theme-breaking. It borrows from a lot of games, all of which do what this game does better.

The issues with the game are baked in and can't be fixed by expansions. On top of that, it didn't learn from the problems of the Decipher game and is started to feel the problems that did.

Completely disagree with this. This is far and away my favourite CCG/LCG and is in the running for my favourite game of all time. It is so deep and tense and the deckbuilding is not a barrier for once, even for a casual player like myself. Add in great art and setting and a tense poker-like element and you have a winner for me.

With each cycle I enjoy it more and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
It is so deep and tense and the deckbuilding is not a barrier for once, even for a casual player like myself. Add in great art and setting and a tense poker-like element and you have a winner for me.

The deckbuilding definitely takes this down a notch for me. It's much easier to do and get into; it's much more shallow than other CCG/LCGs. Saying that it's not a barrier is good evidence that it has less depth.

The game I found to lack tension, unless the tension comes from never knowing if your opponent is going to draw a card that can completely swing the game. There's almost always an easily-found "best move" given your hand. The art is, generally, great, but the poker element completely falls flat for me - I don't want to play a blind bluffing game in the middle of my thematic Star Wars game.

Add to that some other wonky design decisions, and you've got a game that I've had to sell multiple times, despite giving it many changes. When the rulebook has to literally (literally - not misusing the word) describe the thematic relevance of several stages of the game, you know you've missed the mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:

The deckbuilding definitely takes this down a notch for me. It's much easier to do and get into; it's much more shallow than other CCG/LCGs. Saying that it's not a barrier is good evidence that it has less depth.

The game I found to lack tension, unless the tension comes from never knowing if your opponent is going to draw a card that can completely swing the game. There's almost always an easily-found "best move" given your hand. The art is, generally, great, but the poker element completely falls flat for me - I don't want to play a blind bluffing game in the middle of my thematic Star Wars game.

Add to that some other wonky design decisions, and you've got a game that I've had to sell multiple times, despite giving it many changes. When the rulebook has to literally (literally - not misusing the word) describe the thematic relevance of several stages of the game, you know you've missed the mark.

Of course the deckbuilding is much easier for casual players in this game, you are picking 10 pods vs. 50 cards. However, having to consider an entire pod as a whole definitely adds wrinkles to deckbuilding that choosing the "best" 50 cards doesn't. You may not have the options you have in other games but there is a lot to consider and I am not sure it's any less deep. Besides, I don't want to beat my opponent pre-game with my deckbuilding skills, I want to beat him through clever card play.

As for the lack of tension, I guess that is a personal thing. But of all the games I own this is probably right up there with Twilight Struggle as the games that provide the most tension for me. I will grant the game can be swingy but there is just no way I can accept that there is "almost always an easily-found best move" in your hand. There are so many clever ways to use cards that I often feel overwhelmed on my turn and just have to make a move to keep my opponent from getting frustrated with me. I just can't figure out how you can make that statement unless you are playing in a way that is far different than the way we do. This is one game I own where an experienced player will completely wipe a new player through clever card play. There are just so many ways to use certain cards creatively or unexpectedly that it's never straight forward for us.

Have you watched any of the Team Covenant tournament gameplay videos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
I will grant the game can be swingy but there is just no way I can accept that there is "almost always an easily-found best move" in your hand. There are so many clever ways to use cards that I often feel overwhelmed on my turn and just have to make a move to keep my opponent from getting frustrated with me.

I'm just getting into this, and while the deckbuiding is a highlight for me since I hate considering hundreds of cards all at once and I'm not too great at it anyway, the multiple uses of cards is really something I didn't get until I played the game. Even having only played to solo variant right now, seeing that cards can be used to try to win or bluff in Edge Battles; to play as different types of cards in many cases; to commit to the Force or not, or do I commit this weaker unit early and hope to bait my opponent into killing it later; play on my attack turn into my stack or keep them until my opponent's turn and see if he attacks; do I need units out now or is getting the Edge more important; attacking versus defending; how to utilize focusing the most effectively for the situation... it's all very cool. I really, really like Netrunner, but most of that seems to be decided before the actual game; this seems much more flexible. Plus I like swingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Howland
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it a try and see what you think. I find for my level of gameplaying, the deck building mechanic is fine, and I like the fact that there is built in "inefficiency" by including 6 cards at a time. The other side of this is that now you see cards that you would otherwise NEVER see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
There's almost always an easily-found "best move" given your hand.

I have to say that I completely disagree with this. This is what I hated about a lot of other ccgs but Star Wars is totally different. There are so many different ways you can go and so many multiple uses for cards that I wonder if we are even talking about the same game.

This is what I love most about the game and an important element of any game I like is that it has to have difficult choices and non obvious strategy. There are so many choices and so much freedom in the game that it's become my favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the help an opinions guys. It seems like the crowd response swings, which probably mean I should pick up a copy and try it myself to be sure. I'll start with just the core set I guess.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
Thanks for all the help an opinions guys. It seems like the crowd response swings, which probably mean I should pick up a copy and try it myself to be sure. I'll start with just the core set I guess.

Thanks!

Yeah, start with a single copy of core. If you like the game mechanics, but feel the game is too random, or just really enjoy it, then grab a second (deck building on two cores usually involves picking two copies of five objectives for each faction.)

Edge of Darkness will give you the cards you need to get the Smugglers (Chewie, Lando, the Falcon) and Scum (Jabba, Bounty Hunters, and so on) going as playable factions. If you've already doubled up on the core set, you'll want to double this as well.

After that, the buy order is a lot more fluid, and nothing else requires two copies. Between the Shadows and Imperial Entanglements are nice. The second cycle adds a lot of really neat EU stuff from several sources. Just, take a look and see what appeals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterJediAdam wrote:

-2x Core
-2x Edge of Darkness

I agree. This setup gives a good start and you can go there, where ever you want.
I personally did not like the game, with only one core set. It was so swingy, that it Seemed to be pure Luck, of who will win. When I did get second core set, I was convinced, that this game can become something. Edge battles were still swingy, but you did have some control over them and the card draw was so much more consistent that you could start having a plan for your game play. More pods means that you can build the deck to suit your own playing Style. That is why something like two cycles of cards really help a lot.
For casual Gaming, that 2 core, 2 edge of darkness set up is just fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has definitely improved with time. I bought in right after the Hoth cycle completed. I come from a background of both competitive TCG playing and cult-of-the-new board gaming, so for me (and my group), we tend to play a lot of different games, but we get pretty serious when playing (and are really analytical about it).

The SWLCG fit my bill perfectly - the deck building system makes it easy to jump in and build a deck if we haven't played for a long time, but the game's got a sharp edge to it that we really like. Juggling board presence, edge battles, and balance of the force presents many different strategic options.

When I started playing, I think the least relevant element was that balance of the force, but that's certainly been an element that was focused on with the following releases. Various sets from the Echoes of the Force cycle especially (but some from others as well) give you cards that are automatically committed, force commitment, and give greater benefits for holding or retaking the balance.

Since then, we've also gotten a pile of expansions increasing the flavor of piloted starships and vehicles and providing new options for building decks focusing on those, and we just started a cycle (the Endor cycle) with new mission cards that act like objectives that you set up for yourself to destroy, but they also give you additional benefits for taking them out.

Again, I'm not a tournament player. We play casually and for fun, but we also try to optimize our decks and keep power in mind. With a full set of everything, we are overwhelmed with fun deck ideas to build. Yes, the flavor is a bit off - it bothered me slightly initially, but with more releases I found it much easier to build decks that hit a stronger thematic element but still were solid (One of my faves was a Speeder deck that got a good punch from one of the Echoes of the Force packs. Attack Pattern Delta brought out speeder squads out of nowhere!).

So if you start as others say above with 2x Core and 2x Edge of Darkness (which is definitely a solid foundation), you may find as well that the decks seem like a bit more of a hodge-podge of random characters/ships and that the Balance of the Force is not particularly compelling. Rest assured that if those are your only issues, the other expansions take care of them handily.

Hope you enjoy the game, and may the force be with you (and not your opponent)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gaudé
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A fantastic game, really !

Here are some of my personalized playmats for STAR WARS:THE CARD GAME.

Enjoy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.